Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, 130 miles from my destination the ecu light came on with the glow plug light and car into safe mode so 60 mph max, I’ve tried to get into west London Audi but no joy so I’m gonna have to drive it back home Tuesday (150 miles) Obviously it’s a glow plug issue and I’m thinking if I stick to driving it safely and carefully it will be ok , can get it booked in once home but my question is am I right in thinking I can’t damage anything by doing this and this is a job for a mechanic purely because these glow plugs can be a pig to remove ?
cheers guys

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Won’t be glow plugs… thats doesn’t invoke limp mode.
More likely EGR valve / cooler. Expensive I’m afraid. I’ve had it with exactly those symptoms and so have many others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So maybe worth just replacing dpf diff pressure sensor to start with , but I’m assuming I’ll need to erase the fault code also ? If so can you point me in the direction of a good obd2 code reader ? I did buy one a while back to read my Alfa Romeo but it was crap ! Couldn’t read anything!!
really appreciate your help guys 😉

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
The gold standard for Audi OBDII is the RossTech one, but it’s expensive. But if you’re mainly interested in benign pre configured coding and resetting fault codes, I would recommend the Carista dongle and App. There is also OBDEleven which I would say sits somewhere between the two for functionality.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve just gone outside to investigate more and remove dpf diff sensor but thought just start up and see , no ecu light or glow plug light on now ?
so I will leave it until I travel home tomorrow and see if it comes back , have you guys experienced this fault just disappearing or is it the likelihood that it will return when the engine warms up ?

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
If it is the EGR, then it starts out intermittent and gets worse. Just my experience. Can’t speak for the sensor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update on my issue guys, I drove the car 170 miles home from london today thinking the whole journey was gonna be in safe mode but it’s been standing for 4 days, got in started her up and no warning signs on dash, full power back the whole journey home even when I tried to induce the warning lights it gave me nothing, called the RAC anyway as I have home start , it came up on diagnostic with DPF blocked showing soot content of 12 G of soot , the mechanic was excellent and he carried out a forced regeneration of the DPF with his software which took prob 45-60 mins soot content down to 0.0 removed the error codes from ECU, no warning lights on dash ,turned off ignition started car back up and the glow plug warning light is flashing again so did another diagnostic and still came up with DPF error 🙈 so I’m thinking get it into the garage tomorrow and see what they suggest, surely can’t be looking at a new DPF after 98000 miles can I ? And if so I’m assuming that’s mega bucks 🙄

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Could still be the sensor as advised by Albert above?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All sorted guys thank you all for your input, was a mixture of DPF soot levels at 12g instead of 0.2 so RAC performed a forced regeneration took about 45 mins , the mechanic was absolutely fantastic I have to say, so the regeneration was successful getting the soot levels down to 0.0 although when clearing all fault codes and restarting the glow plug light came back on so I already had a garage slot this morning so kept that and took it in, long story short Albert was on the money with his diagnosis of DPF differential sensor that tested faulty so saved a bunch of money on the free regeneration and had the sensor replaced by the garage , re done diagnostic to clear everything now all good 😉👍🏻 Well happy
Cheers guys much appreciated
Marky T

·
Registered
2011 Audi A8
145 Posts
By the way, I had exactly the same issue on my 3.0 A8 the other year when returning from France. Broke down near stanstead towing a caravan. Breakdown company scared me go death saying it was the DPF needed replacing. Cost me 22 quid for the sensor in the end. And as they carried my back up go Yorkshire I saved a load of diesel .

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
By the way, I had exactly the same issue on my 3.0 A8 the other year when returning from France. Broke down near stanstead towing a caravan. Breakdown company scared me go death saying it was the DPF needed replacing. Cost me 22 quid for the sensor in the end. And as they carried my back up go Yorkshire I saved a load of diesel .

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
I must say I was looking at replacement DPF costs last night so was really pleased to learn it was in fact as you suggested sensor failure plus I’ve had a free regeneration so happy days 👏🏻👏🏻👍🏻

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Good result!

·
Registered
1 Posts
130 miles from my destination the ecu light came on with the glow plug light and car into safe mode so 60 mph max, I’ve tried to get into west London Audi but no joy so I’m gonna have to drive it back home Tuesday (150 miles) Obviously it’s a glow plug issue and I’m thinking if I stick to driving it safely and carefully it will be ok

vegitbale
Dracaena Reflexa

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi i have a low mileage 3 lit v6 tdi A5 and as soon as i got it from a service, namely changing of diesel and air filters changing of oil etc the glow plug symbol and engine lit up. the glow plug symbol flashes on and off while the engine symbol is on. any one can help please?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi mate, sounds exactly what my A5 was displaying above, advice here was spot on DPF pressure sensor defective, I would follow as advised above with replacing the sensor, deleting fault code run a regen on the DPF and I bet you’ll be good to go 😉👍🏻 Good luck mate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.