Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As you will know from old threads, the Nokia N range doesnt transfer items from the phone book unless the contacts are on the sim card.

No problem. There is now an answer. A bit of a fudge but it works so lets not knock it. I just tested it on my N95 8gig and it worked for me.

Instructions:
1 - go to http://europe.nokia.com/A4143881 and download the edition of the software that matches your phone (N range is 3rd edition for example).
2 - install it on your phone.
3 - making sure you are not paired with the car at the time, run the application on the phone (in the applications folder with a weird car and phone book/arrow icon with title download). The phone will sit there with a processing bar appearing to do nothing.
4 - turn on the car, let the phone connect as normal.
5 - turn the mmi to names and the find entry (assuming you have no contacts added) will still be grey. If you have added contacts they will still be there but no new ones will appear yet.

Leave it on the import/find entry screen and a few minutes later you should see the names in your phone book appear. They will also be in the directory with the correct icon for work/mobile/home.

You can either import them or you can use them from the directory without importing.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Nice work Doubledoom, thanks for the detailed procedure!

I am hoping the SIS file you used for the N95 is genaral for all S60 3rd edition devices, as I would love to use my E51 with the advanced bluetooth kit on my car (when it eventually arrives :D)

Let us know whether the solution continues to work well after some weeks of use!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No issues or problems so far. The application needs to be running on the phone in the background (there is a hide option so no problem there) all the time if you want the contacts to be available on the car (and not import them).

·
Registered
11 Posts
doubledoom Do you know which version of "Nokia 810 Contact Download Application" will work with the Nokia E51? I presume it is the "Nokia S60 3rd edition devices" but I dont want to mess up the phone!

Withnail Like you I also have an E51 (which is great!) and hoped to get a cradle to supplement the Bluetooth and charge the phone - but Audi told me they can't keep up with the phone market and aren't going to make any new cradle versions :(
P.S. great choice of car colour!

I have attached the latest (and possibly the last) Audi cradle list if it is of interest / use.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You wont mess up the phone as its just like any application you install on the phone. If it doesnt like it, it wont work or wont let you install.

However, you may find that just moving your contacts to the sim card is easier. it does exactly the same thing as far as the audi is concerned.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Thanks much for this DD. My N75 paired up easily, but I was wondering why it wouldn't import. Hopefully I can find what I need on Nokia's site for my redheaded stepchild of a phone!

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Ugh...can't find that contact software for the N75 (of course). Oh well...thanks for the info.. I'll probably be getting a blackberry soon anyway.

·
Registered
162 Posts
houseofg: Your N75 is also a S60 3rd edition device, so the SIS file needed should be the same: just click on doubledooms link and download:
Nokia 810 Contact Download Application for Nokia S60 3rd edition devices

DaveM: I have the E51 and love it too.. I'm still waiting on my order, so haven't tried this solution yet myself. I'm pretty sure the software will work with all S60 3rd edition models.
I hear you on the cradle situation. I had one for my Nokia 6150 many moons ago.. Great to have an external antenna connection and to keep the battery topped up.
On the weekend that my girlfriend and I rented an A5, we took a cigar lighter charger with us and were happy to find another 12v socket inside the centre arm rest - just needed to remember to take the phone out after parking!

Quartz grey is nice. During the ordering process, I was 100% certain that I didn't want a 'Silver' car and was 90% certain I was going to choose Ibis White. I then had week of indecision, after seeing pictures on here of Wismies custom 'Daytona Grey' paint job. After doing the sums, and working out which options I was prepared to drop (pretty much none!) I then realised that the Quartz Grey model sitting in my dealer, was my perfect all-round colour.
It contrasts well with the chrome around windows and grill, wont show grime so easy as the white, and has a beautiful metallic finish which does justice to the huge volume of paintwork.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm in denial here, as should my dealer have said to me "oh go on it's Friday, have the Daytona Grey on me.." I would of shook his hand off his wrist..

Er.. and Ibis White still looks damn fine too.

..come to think of it, is there any 'wrong' colour for this car?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the N phones you can go to your contacts, select options, scroll down to mark/unmark and select all. Then press options again and select copy and select to sim directory. This then keeps your phone book intact on the phone but also puts the contacts on the sim card. The sim card can be read by the Audi without needing any software installed on the farm.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Was that a language barrier thing!? Or is "farm" a typo?

Anyway, thanks Withnail, I'll give that a try. And, thanks for the SIM trick, DD. And, if I understand correctly, does that mean that I don't need to do the other workaround since I'll now have them on my SIM?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yup, that's all you need to do and it should work well.

..but you wont be able to have multiple entries unter one name - work, home, mobile etc.. plus you'll be limited to 12 character name tags for each entry, and the maximum number of entries your SIM allows.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Oh..wow..thanks for the warning. I'll try the software route then. And you're right, the N75 is listed right there in the 3rd edition version at DD's link. Duh...

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Worked - thanks guys! Now I just need to figure out how to efficiently delete a number of contacts that I didn't need to import...these come by way of my office outlook and contain old clients, etc.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you create the entry on the car manually you can then select home/business etc and then select import and it will read the numbers on the sim card or phone (if using the software). So, it may be easier to do it that way rather than import all the numbers and then correct them

·
Registered
11 Posts
Update & Thanks

The BEAST was collected last week and I just love the car

Doubledoom: Thanks to your help my Nokia E51 phone book is all loaded on the car. However I will have another play around when I get time to find out how to:

Be selective on which contacts/numbers are loaded onto the car (too many to scroll through at the moment)
Keep the car directory in sync with changes on the phone (I havent figured out yet if I have to run the phone application to carry out a sync or if it's now automatic)Maintain car access to the phone contacts rather than uploading them all.
The joys of technology - if only Audi made a cradle for my phone!

Withnail: I'm VERY happy with the choice of colour but still very newly fangled - what a boy's toy!

Re. the lack of an E51 cradle, I'm thinking of getting a cradle to fit one of my old nokias (6310i or 6230i), sticking a pay-as-you-go SIM in that phone and then diverting my calls to it whilst in the car........but the delay may piss off my clients and having to divert may piss me off.........I will sleep on this one!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Withnail: I'm VERY happy with the choice of colour but still very newly fangled - what a boy's toy!

Re. the lack of an E51 cradle, I'm thinking of getting a cradle to fit one of my old nokias (6310i or 6230i), sticking a pay-as-you-go SIM in that phone and then diverting my calls to it whilst in the car........but the delay may piss off my clients and having to divert may piss me off.........I will sleep on this one!

Glad to hear the colour is up to expectations!

If you set up an 'unconditional' call forwarding the connection would be instantaneous, but a 'not reachable' (where you'd receive calls first when you're in the car, then forward when your car is locked (phone off)) - this would likely take an extra 3-4 seconds to connect the call, as the network needs to page your primary number first before giving up and initiating a redirect.

Either way, be aware that you have to pay for the duration of the call forwarded to your other mobile!

I'd much rather go down the route of getting a twin SIM (which has the same phone number) for your car kit.
Which operator are you with? It should be possible with all UK operators

Did you go for the centre arm rest solution? You could just get a Nokia cigar lighter charger and sling it in the socked in socket in the arm rest - at least you wouldn't have to see it lying around!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Slightly off topic but, even though I have a full sim card of contacts, and the phone received and can make calls from the handset, I amn't getting and contacts name transfer ?

Am I missing something obvious? :confused:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sorry Aiden, I don't have an answer..

Which phone are you using? Are you using SIM contacts as default on the phone?

·
Registered
423 Posts
As you will know from old threads, the Nokia N range doesnt transfer items from the phone book unless the contacts are on the sim card.

No problem. There is now an answer. A bit of a fudge but it works so lets not knock it. I just tested it on my N95 8gig and it worked for me.

Instructions:
1 - go to http://europe.nokia.com/A4143881 and download the edition of the software that matches your phone (N range is 3rd edition for example).
2 - install it on your phone.
3 - making sure you are not paired with the car at the time, run the application on the phone (in the applications folder with a weird car and phone book/arrow icon with title download). The phone will sit there with a processing bar appearing to do nothing.
4 - turn on the car, let the phone connect as normal.
5 - turn the mmi to names and the find entry (assuming you have no contacts added) will still be grey. If you have added contacts they will still be there but no new ones will appear yet.

Leave it on the import/find entry screen and a few minutes later you should see the names in your phone book appear. They will also be in the directory with the correct icon for work/mobile/home.

You can either import them or you can use them from the directory without importing.

Got my N70 nokia to work using the above although everywhere I look says it isnt supported. My phone book is fullly listed showing a different type of phone symbol for mobile or home phone.
One problem still though. When I use voice control button and ask to dial number, It still says pone book empty. Anyone know why this is or do I have to record voice tags for the names for it to pick them up

1 - 20 of 20 Posts