Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All!

I'll soon be a first time Audi owner when my 2009 A5 comes in in August...I pretty much ordered the car on the basis of looks, luxury, and options but what I haven't had a chance to do is drive the thing! They're running pretty low on inventory here in LA and I wasn't going to bother test driving a car that was $5K over sticker (I had to order out of state), so, with that in mind...how's the ride on it? Smooth? Does it feel "heavy"? How's the steering?

I'm coming from a G35 that feels heavy and not very smooth...looking forward to that solid German engineering!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mike:

Like you, I ordered my A5 based on aesthetics and specs but never actually drove it until it became mine. I came from an Acura (albeit 17 years old, but well maintained and in remarkably good running condition despite 215+K miles) and I had never driven a German car. I never had any complaints about the Acura and thought it handled and held the road quite well. But the A5 is oh so much better!! You definitely feel the road in the A5 but it's a good secure feeling. Again, I'm comparing a brand new car to an old one, so it isn't apples to apples for sure, but the biggest differences I notice between the two cars are in accelerating, shifting (I have a Tiptronic) and braking. Actually, the acceleration in the A5 feels much stiffer (I barely needed to touch the accelerator in the Acura and it took off like a bat out of ...). Not that the A5 doesn't have power; I just have to put more pressure on the accelerator. Also, the timing of the automatic shifting in the A5 -- particularly D1, 2 and 3 -- took a little getting used to (very different from the Acura). It was as if there were only two choices when accelerating from stop: really slow or really fast! But now that I'm accustomed to it I have found the middle ground and it all feels completely normal. The brakes in the A5 are unbelievably sensitive and you may throw your passengers into the dash at first, but you'll get used to that, too.

Now, I should note that I have hand controls installed in my car and it's entirely possible that some of the acceleration, shifting and braking issues I had were related to that and not the car itself. The hand controls in the Acura may have loosened up substantially over the years causing the difference, so there's a chance you may not experience these things at all (unless, of course, you have hand controls installed which is probably pretty unlikely!).

In any event, the A5 is a terrific car and I'm sure you will love it!

By the way, you mentioned that you are in LA but ordered out of state. Where did you get it?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Out of State

Thanks for the response a5liz!

Sounds like I won't be disappointed? What do you mean you had "hand controls" installed?

I ordered my A5 from Arizona...much better deal (just paying sticker, no "market adjustment" crap) and I'll be able to get a 2009 in August instead of February, as I was told I would out here...

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you are in a hurry, you might try Lithia Audi in Reno. They had a silver A5 on the floor and they probably have more coming in. I note that a5liz is also from Nevada--I assume Las Vegas (80% of the state population), but you might have some luck getting one quicker there.

·
Registered
479 Posts
sundevilmike, it may be too late, but as I recall, almost all the dealers I spoke to were offering MSRP if you ordered... I bought from Rusnak, but got the same offer from Penske in West Covina and Keyes in Van Nuys and McKenna in Norwalk.

Coming out of the Infiniti world myself, I think you'll find that the ride stiffness is probably on par with the G35 coupe but more stable overall and definitely quieter. As a5liz says above, the automatic tranny takes some getting used to, the throttle tip-in on the Infiniti is pretty aggressive.

Do I know you from the G35driver forum?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mike: In response to your question, the hand controls allow me to drive the car entirely with my hands instead of the foot pedals. (I'm a paraplegic.)

And in response to drjer1, yes, southern NV. There are two Audi dealers here. I got mine from Audi Henderson and paid sticker. Got it in March. I don't know if it's true, but I heard that the other dealer here (Desert Audi) was charging several thousand over MSRP. I don't know about current inventory at either dealer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
G35...

Hey Shady,

Actually, no I never posted on the g35 forums...I don't have that much passion about Japanese cars ;)

I checked, literally, from San Diego to San Francisco for A5's...the scenarios were as follows:

- 2008's with $5K markup
- 2008 demos (up to 4K miles) sold at sticker (INSANE!)
- Orders for 2009 that won't arrive until maybe February, and over sticker

No one was willing to go at sticker...I told LA Auto Gallery in woodland hills I would walk in, with check in hand THAT DAY, and pay sticker price...the guy laughed and said not a chance!

·
Registered
13 Posts
i just orderd mine last week from elk grove audi and paid stiker for it and it is supposed to be here in october not next feb.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LA...

Maybe it's just an LA thing (the markup)!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Hey Shady,

Actually, no I never posted on the g35 forums...I don't have that much passion about Japanese cars ;)

I checked, literally, from San Diego to San Francisco for A5's...the scenarios were as follows:

- 2008's with $5K markup
- 2008 demos (up to 4K miles) sold at sticker (INSANE!)
- Orders for 2009 that won't arrive until maybe February, and over sticker

No one was willing to go at sticker...I told LA Auto Gallery in woodland hills I would walk in, with check in hand THAT DAY, and pay sticker price...the guy laughed and said not a chance!
In case you still haven't driven it yet, just go stroke the folks over at Circle Audi in Long Beach, they still have their blue demo car when I drove by yesterday.

I've consistently been able to get them to lower the markup to $1500 at various dealers including the one where I ordered my '09, but the real trip is that I've never seen a demo at MSRP -- they too had the same markup.

-Ray

·
Registered
204 Posts
Got mine at Santa Barabara Auto group. I think they were having trouble selling it. It was there for over a month. Maybe because it was the bargin basement model... or people in SB don't drive manuals. Where asking 45.6k and I got it for 44.8k.

·
Registered
45 Posts
A5 availability in SoCal

i just orderd mine last week from elk grove audi and paid stiker for it and it is supposed to be here in october not next feb.
I ordered my A5 10 days ago, after checking with about 6 dealers. Pacific Audi got my business, at sticker (and without destination charge), when they confirmed they had an available allocation so the order would be processed immediately-expected delivery date is August 18th, about 10 weeks.

Ryan at Pacific Audi has about 5 more coming, all in Black, over the next few weeks. They will sell at MSRP. Seana of Audi in Riverside has a loaded AT model at MSRP. Richard from Circle Audi emailed me today to say they had an order of an A5 AT model due by mid-August, which was still available to be customized to buyer's specs.-they had earlier asked for a market adjustment ("very negotiable"), but in this market, I really think they will be ready to deal. Commonwealth Audi (Dave) had one new loaded A5 AT in White, and also a demo model in White, available as of June 3rd. They will take orders at MSRP.

Hope this info can help those still looking in SoCal.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Ryan at Pacific Audi has about 5 more coming, all in Black, over the next few weeks. They will sell at MSRP. Seana of Audi in Riverside has a loaded AT model at MSRP. Richard from Circle Audi emailed me today to say they had an order of an A5 AT model due by mid-August, which was still available to be customized to buyer's specs.-they had earlier asked for a market adjustment ("very negotiable"), but in this market, I really think they will be ready to deal. Commonwealth Audi (Dave) had one new loaded A5 AT in White, and also a demo model in White, available as of June 3rd. They will take orders at MSRP.

Hope this info can help those still looking in SoCal.
Adil, that's very helpful information. Perhaps you should start a separate thread and post the info in the regional West section, so that it does not get lost in this thread.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Drives great. Best standard Audi sedan yet!

I drove the S5 several times and the A5 twice and here is how they feel and compare. The S5 is a beast, fast and beautiful but taking corners fast gave me some concern without knowing the car well. The A5 on the other hand has fabulous balance, just as sweet looking and quite quick. The brakes are the best Audi brakes yet, up to BMW levels and the interior is great like Audi does best. I have my A5 on order with Drive Select and S-Line and most of the goodies.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did you receive your production number? perhaps a VIN? Reason I ask is that I hear mixed delivery expectations. I wouldn't mark that day in October on your calendar yet with out a production number.

Hope you get it soon!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey All!

I'll soon be a first time Audi owner when my 2009 A5 comes in in August...I pretty much ordered the car on the basis of looks, luxury, and options but what I haven't had a chance to do is drive the thing! They're running pretty low on inventory here in LA and I wasn't going to bother test driving a car that was $5K over sticker (I had to order out of state), so, with that in mind...how's the ride on it? Smooth? Does it feel "heavy"? How's the steering?

I'm coming from a G35 that feels heavy and not very smooth...looking forward to that solid German engineering!

Thats ridiculous, never buy over MSRP :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Adil, that's very helpful information. Perhaps you should start a separate thread and post the info in the regional West section, so that it does not get lost in this thread.
Great idea TX, I just posted there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts