Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Getting Cold Feet - What should I do?

3K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Janitor 
#1 ·
Oh dear all this doom and gloom talk of fuel prices has finally got to me. I am thinking of cancelling my S5 order due to be built week 29. I have put down a £500 deposit and I am thinking of switching it to either a 3.0tdi or may be a 2.0tfsi quattro. I 've have left it very late and i don't know whether my S5 will get pulled from production at this late stage or whether the dealer will have to take the car regardless. I have a good relationship with the dealer and I have my name down for Q5 so i don't want to spoil things and take away the pleasure of buying a new car, but i do have do what is right for me.
Main reason for questioning my sanity for ordering an S5 is probably obvious - fuel consumption and now a question mark over residuals on big engined cars because of the crazy fuel prices. Its a battle over heart and mind - my head says be sensible and the heart says stick with it and sod the cost - what shall I do? Taking into account my mileage and financed purchase cost a 3.0tdi would be £200 cheaper per month and a 2.0tfsi a little better still. Come on guys help me out.:confused:

#2 ·
Oh dear all this doom and gloom talk of fuel prices has finally got to me.

.....Main reason for questioning my sanity for ordering an S5 is probably obvious - fuel consumption
You dont buy an S5 in the first place because you are concerned about fuel. It wasnt fuel efficient when you put your order in and it still isnt now. Nothing has changed on that front.

I am thinking of cancelling my S5 order due to be built week 29. I have put down a £500 deposit and I am thinking of switching it to either a 3.0tdi or may be a 2.0tfsi quattro.
What will it cost you to switch?

and now a question mark over residuals on big engined cars because of the crazy fuel prices.
The residuals are still very attractive and looking like 50% compared to around 60%. Beats a Ford at 33%. (over 3 years). How long did you intend to own it for?

Its a battle over heart and mind
I know. Every time I fill up I think why did I buy this car. However, every time I sit in it I remember why I bought it.

Taking into account my mileage and financed purchase cost a 3.0tdi would be £200 cheaper per month and a 2.0tfsi a little better still. Come on guys help me out.
A lot of that cost difference is going to be down to the fact that the A5 is cheaper. I doubt it is mostly due to fuel. Sure you will save £200 a month but the A5 is not as fun to drive. Indeed, if I had not bought an S5 I would probably not have gone for an A5. I may have done had I not driven an S5 first. Indeed, I was considering the A5 until the dealer let me drive the S5. After that the A5 was just not an option.

I reckon the fuel increases are roughly about £40-£50pm more. Its never going to return to the old prices but it looks like diesel is going to increase faster than unleaded in future.

The S5 is a heart purchase. The A5 is a brain purchase. You know your budget better than us. I keep telling myself that I dont drink and I dont smoke so I may as well spend that money saved on something special.

#3 ·
thanks doubledoom - This is a second car and the idea is for it to be a 4 seat GT / sports car for fun that we all (wife + 2kids) can get in and enjoy. It was always about driving pleasure and not A to B transport. That was my concern after testing a 3.0tdi - its very good but just lacked that special something. Fantasic car to live with everyday though.

I'll probably do around 9k a year in it at weekends and trips away so i think its about £65 per month extra on fuel the rest is purchase cost.

I suppose the S5 at £40k is quite good value for what it is. There are plenty of other cars with big engines that are a lot more money. They perhaps have further to fall in terms of residuals if fuel costs are generally going to hit values of thirstier cars. I think also it is perhaps the bigger 4x4s that will get hit harder as people do move back to estate cars for there general family load lugger. But if you do want a sports car then there isn't very many economical choices without diluting the experience.

#4 ·
If you can afford an S5, you can afford the fuel!
If you want power stay with your order, I'm already thinking about getting my 3.2L remapped. The shift suggestion option on the MMI helps a butt load when you’re trying to make your tank last....compared to when I was driving it like my old car!

#5 ·
Firstly you've got to get the car that makes you smile.
If pulling up next to an S5 in a TDI is gonna make you frown, then think again.

..If on the other hand you think. 'Ah.. I'm getting twice the economy from my equally stunning car' then go for the TDI.

heck, the 2.0 TFSI makes a pretty convincing price / performance argument too.
I guess it all comes down to how much burble you're willing to pay for.

#6 ·
Stay with S5 Bry! -it is a car bought for the love of driving (which it sounds like your reason for ordering it is anyway), not the mileage you can get on a tank of fuel. I say enjoy these cars while you can if you can afford to because before long we'll all be forced into sh*tty little hybrid bubbles or worse and we'll tell our grandkids of the days when we drove REAL cars!:( Wish my car allowance stretched to such awesome devices but such is the appeal of the A5 that even my "poverty spec" 1.8T makes me want to find any excuse to take it out for a spin.....:cool: Enjoy the thrill to the max if you are lucky enough to.

#7 ·
Listen to "Red Barchetta" by Rush...

When I was a kid I used to listen to Rush a lot more than today, but one song stuck in my mind, which as it turns out, has become a little prophetic.

...Listen to the track 'Red Barchetta' from the album 2112 and you will see what I mean...

Then get the S5 and enjoy it WHILE YOU CAN !!!

#9 ·
I'm doubtful too Bry! Rates are going up, gas prices are going up, and today I found out I can't save ~$3k US on Euro Delivery because my dealer failed to look into it soon enough (waiting for an Audi NA supervisor to call me back on this...).

When I see one, my mind is made up: Sold

When I map out the cash flows in Excel: I run

Maybe we should start a buyers support group?

#11 ·
I feel your concern...I actually cancelled my S5 order and changed to an A5. Just because you can afford an S5 doesn't mean you should waste a significant amount of money over time on fuel.

I'll happily drive my A5 for the time being and when the damn speculators (oil) get put in their place and things adjust, or at least slow down then maybe I'll change my mind. But in this time of uncertainty, its not a wise choice IMHO.

Unless you are filthy rich as some people here seem to be :)

#15 ·
Have to agree with this - set the cruise control 10mph lower over a 300 mile journey, last weekend, and improved my consumption by 25%! Boring as hell though... :( Ups and downs, eh...

#14 ·
i filled up my beast on monday, 55 litres, 73quid i nearly passed out ;):eek: and that wasnt even a full tank!

#16 ·
I agree. I got my S5 to average just over 30 mpg recently on a run. It is possible even if it is boring.

I have managed recently to increase my mpg average though just by better planning whilst driving. Bigger gaps between the cars to anticipate slow downs and stops, a bit of free wheeling when ideal and engine braking when that is better. Problem is that it only takes one bit of quick acceleration to blow all that. 30 miles of steady driving is wasted by 300 yards of full on acceleration.

#17 ·
Well guys I'm sticking with my S5 its set in stone with the factory now (build week 29) and should be here early august.:) When you break it down I am paying £5k more for the S5 over a slightly lesser spec 3.0tdi. There is now the equivalent to 5mpg difference in the price of petrol to diesel.:cool: So you are effectively comparing a 28mpg car against 42mpg. Doesn't sound quite so bad when you look at it that way. I am not going to do massive miles on it (I have 2.0 tdi A6 Avant for that). It will cost around £60 a month more to fuel for all that extra fun. I think if you are going to do more miles then the S5 isn't perhaps the one to go for, but I think you could have a fairly difficult time deciding over a 3.0 tdi or a 2.0tfsi. Performance is similar, running costs are identical, the 3.0tdi has more grunt, but the 2.0tfsi is cheaper. It would be interesting to hear how good this 2.0tfsi is when someone on A5OC gets there car.

#18 ·
Good Luck Bry... I agonised, loved the S5 on test but only got 14mpg with me lead wellies on. 3.0Tdi was great but a diseasel.. Took the easy option and put my name on the list for a Cabriolet next spring I hope. Engine/model to be confirmed!!

TT (for now + A3 ... the A6 and A4 Cab have gone)

#19 ·
Oops, sorry Bry... there's me wading into the Forum with all kind of observation and reasoning all mixed together by the stick of uncertainty and here you are having a woobble! :eek:

Well, for what it's worth, in my situation I'd be wobbling too... quite a lot in fact. BUT, you want it for varying reasons and for a different type of usage, so if the hat fits you comfortably then wear it with pride!

I know exactly what you're going through now that it's actually lining itself up at the front end of the production line... it's too late now to abort your baby! Be there at delivery and welcome it proudly into the world my good man :D

…just make sure you bring it up responsibly though ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.