Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know about anyone else but I'd been expecting to see either the 2.0TFSi or the 2.0TDi make an appearance on the A5 but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Looks like those looking towards the cheaper end of the scale are still limited to the 1.8TFSi.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
With respect to those at that end of the scale, I hope it stays that way. At the moment the car has a prestige to it which but if they start offering too many cheap options then it could devalue the current A5/S5 branding.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand the sentiment but look at the line up for the 3 series coupe and I think it's inevitable that Audi will introduce something like the 2 engines I've referred to in the very near future.

This is, after all, Audi who despite all the "prestige" marketing blurb are still very much in the volume market (see today's Porsche announcement!) and it's not like they need the A5 as a niche car to raise the profile of the brand when they have the R8 and the RS/TTS cars. Let's face it, when they came up with the A5 they were still after volume sales although clearly not on the scale of the A3/A4/A6.

I guess what really surprises me is that they put the 1.8 out when they did. Even though you don't get any change from £30k for a modestly specced 1.8 it's still odd that they'd introduce this before a 2 litre (petrol or diesel) because it's clearly the smallest engine you'd consider putting in an A5 and it's a little difficult to see what price point a slightly more powerful engine than the 1.8 would come in at.

Can't help thinking they're having design/production problems with the 2 litre units and they needed to get something out. The 2.0TDi in the new A4 looks like a completely unsuitable lump for the A5 (0-62mph in double figures!!!) ... and yes, I know many consider the 1.8T unsuitable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.