Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 A5, gearbox malfunction warning comes up but still ok to drive. Took to the dealer who sold me the car as I have a warranty with them (not Audi dealer) I have to take it to them as part of warranty procedure. They put a scan tool on and came up with the following codes:
ECM:
U040200 Invalid data from TCM
P0420 CAT efficiency low B1.
TCM:
P17E100 + P17E000 Gear actuator 2 Mechanical failure
P179D00 Refrigeration oil valve electrical fault
P17D800 Torque limitation due to clutch temp
P179D00 Refrigeration valve electrical fault.
Dealer unable to diagnose or go any further and have referred me to Audi. Could this be a major issue??? any help or advice much appreciated Thank you in advance

·
Registered
1 Posts
I living in Turkey and have a 2010 a5 coupe 2.0 quattro.
Last month i got same error code "Refrigeration oil valve electrical fault ". Audi offical dealer found the problem with gearbox Sensor.
Sensor is big problem in Turkey because parts very expensive in my country.I paid (11.000 Turkish Lira = 1.650 Euro)
"P17E100 + P17E000 Gear actuator 2 Mechanical failure " i dont know this error.I hope it is not a mechanical failure.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a 2010 A5, gearbox malfunction warning comes up but still ok to drive. Took to the dealer who sold me the car as I have a warranty with them (not Audi dealer) I have to take it to them as part of warranty procedure. They put a scan tool on and came up with the following codes:
ECM:
U040200 Invalid data from TCM
P0420 CAT efficiency low B1.
TCM:
P17E100 + P17E000 Gear actuator 2 Mechanical failure
P179D00 Refrigeration oil valve electrical fault
P17D800 Torque limitation due to clutch temp
P179D00 Refrigeration valve electrical fault.
Dealer unable to diagnose or go any further and have referred me to Audi. Could this be a major issue??? any help or advice much appreciated Thank you in advance
Hello,

Yes, it is likely a gearbox out and a repair kit installed in the box that changes a few actuators and some circuit board / wiring harness. Its is common, so common a repair kit has been made for it.
Once done however you are golden, this includes but this includes spiting the box and also doing an internal harness and position sensor.
Estimate AUD is $6,500.

It will get worse over time as you have electrical connection issues with clutch cooling water solenoid. The connection issues may appear on other components also....so when you pull the box and open it you change it all out.

Picture of kit.

Overhaul video

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies and information - Going in to Audi tomorrow so I will see what the diagnosis and repairs will be.
I will post an update in the next few days.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey Oldmate,

(Shameless self promotion) Take a look at my blog post on the S Tronic gearbox, I cover the common problems and how to fix them.

I had the same warning come up on my car. My car was throwing up P179D00 and P056200.

I bought the full repair kit (as described above by IDUA_5A) and gearbox service kit to perform the job myself in my garage at home (for full part codes etc see my blog post).

It cost just short of £600 all in and took just over 9 hours to do. It's not a particularly difficult job, but I wanted to be absolutely methodical as I was worried I'd 'brick' the gearbox. It's much easier with a helping hand too, getting the mechatronic unit back in on your own would be a nightmare.

You don't have to remove the whole gearbox to install the repair kit, just the mechatronic unit. A skilled professional who's done the job before should complete the repair and gearbox service in around 4-5 hours I'd say.

If the independent garage do determine they need to install the repair kit, make sure they get the latest revision of the kit (0B5 398 009 F) as the number of, and design of, the swarf protectors has changed. This surprised me when I did the job as the only instructions I had were for the old type, so I had to figure out what went where (taking a bit more time).

Touch wood, this has solved the problem for me (about 2 months clear and ~1500mi).

Hope this helps, good luck with your car!

AndyBuck 🙂👍

1 - 5 of 5 Posts