Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else notice a slightly notchy change from 2nd to 3rd especially when the car is cold? I noticed that on one of the road tests they commented on this and apparently Audi said it would be fixed before production. I have reported it and the garage say that it is a "feature" expected of a transverse engined car.:confused:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats my feeling too but i would like to know if any owners have noticed this on thier cars.

·
Registered
276 Posts
thats my feeling too but i would like to know if any owners have noticed this on thier cars.
Yes, mine does this but to be fair most new cars exhibit this to an extent until they loosen up with use and miles. The gearbox itself is very tight when built and until the oil has warmed up and thined it will be harder to change gear.
The engine is not transverse mounted BTW, who was it at your dealership who told you that?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the expert technician! Perhaps he was confusing it with the A3 loan car i have at the moment. However mine is definitely run in, so i don't think i can expect it to improve with more use.

·
Registered
276 Posts
the expert technician! Perhaps he was confusing it with the A3 loan car i have at the moment. However mine is definitely run in, so i don't think i can expect it to improve with more use.
Hence my comments in the ECU thriead about trusting techies, I bet he has never even lifted the bonnet (i.e. hood for the US) of an A5.
How many miles has yours done as gearboxes can take 10k to bed in and loosen up?

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
i've did 9000 miles and mine can sometimes crunch when going into third (when it's not heated up).

The gearbox is a bit of a nightmare to work with when it's not heated up. Every gear needs a good deliberate forceful push in. But when it's heated up, it's extremely light.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mine has 11,000 so as i said, in my view fully run in. Yes once warm its fine but it has to be allowed time to change when cold, which i find odd in a new car with an established gearbox. I learned today that the box is the same as in the A4 especially those with more powerful engines like the RS4.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Guys, 400 miles done now... I can report no gear change problems cold or warm yet... I haven't pushed the box much though with fast changes or harsh downshifts as it's all so new. For me, the box is smooth as silk... but my last car was an A6, which had a very 'average' box in it and I've been driving a Landrover Defender for six weeks since I sold that, so it's going to feel great!

Seriously though, the gearbox is A+ for me.

...This makes me think that if your 'box is misbehaving, you should talk to your dealer/Audi and don't take any crap off them.

If you hav another dealer within a reasonable driving distance, call them too. I'm sure they would love to pick up your service business... and if they are really helpful, go there and tell the first dealer about it. ;)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Ian, 400 miles already????

I have found that on a really cold morning, the first half mile is a bit notchier. However, we havent really had a lot of cold mornings with +2 degrees being the coldest this season so far.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Indeed, I have visited everyone I know within a 40 mile radius! I was in the car all day yesterday and about 3 hours today also!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Ian, you need to update your sig. Also, I have had mine for 4 months now and you better get used to that jaw ache. The grinning does not go away. You just cannot help smiling when you drive the car. The urge to find an excuse to drive does not go away.

Just today alone, I had a motorbike pull up behind me at the lights with a passenger on the back and I could hear them shouting to each other about how smart the car and the interior was. I had sky sports news on the tv and the passenger obviously hadnt seen a car with a tv before as he was gobsmacked. I had a BMW 645 come alongside me at a roundabout and he was hanging out the window. I thought his car was quite nice as well as vaguely similar to the S5 but he was gorping at mine. Then after getting home and parking up a boy on a bike cycled into our drive and he had a mobile phone and was taking pictures of it. He takes pictures of all the sports cars he sees and he said this was better than the aston martin over the road (I wouldnt go that far but thats kids).

I have never owned a car that gives me such driving pleasure. Some may drive better, some may be more comfortable, some may be faster or more practical. However, the S5 manages to give you enough of everything to keep you more than satisfied.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I have never owned a car that gives me such driving pleasure. Some may drive better, some may be more comfortable, some may be faster or more practical. However, the S5 manages to give you enough of everything to keep you more than satisfied.
...Likewise... it's as close to perfect as I think you can get.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Doubledoom
Then after getting home and parking up a boy on a bike cycled into our drive and he had a mobile phone and was taking pictures of it

I hope that isnt the local car thief Doom :D

Back on topic,i have to say up to now gear changes pretty smooth for me,cant say i have noticed anything indifferent and i have done just over 1000 miles :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
In the cold, I've been running thru the gears at a higher RPM 1 - 2 - 3 - etc...
When warm I go 1 - 3 otherwise, yes a bit of tochyness occurs. I attribute this to the high tourque. However, wehn cold this is normal.

Sorta related, but I'm finding that I'm riding the clutch when in first gear taking off. This normal for everybody else? I'm having to shift to the next gear before the first gear gets fully locked in.

·
Registered
276 Posts
=
Sorta related, but I'm finding that I'm riding the clutch when in first gear taking off. This normal for everybody else? I'm having to shift to the next gear before the first gear gets fully locked in.
This is the first gear kangaroo problem a number of us have been posting about- the engine has a mind of its own and revs to 1600 as soon as you try to touch the accelerator (gas). You are only doing what most of us do and dump into 2nd gear soon as poss. to avoid the jerking (Is that a rude word in the US?).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts