Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The economy on my 1.8T isn't quite what I'd hoped for (although I've only had the car 2 days so I know it's early days). I think some of this is down to the car being new (still only 150 miles) and me getting used to the car.

As a result I've started to obsess a little on the gear change indicator in the DIS. Is it just me or is it a little keen? I'm only just getting into 2nd and it's telling me "2 > 3" and sometimes "2 > 4". This is at 15-20mph where I'm sure the car would stall if I actually put it into 4th. If I put my foot on the gas a bit it stops telling me to change up until I ease off at which point it recommends an entirely sensible change up. This makes me think I'm not accelerating in line with what Audi would expect.

I could really do with some advice on this guys. I suspect that I'm not being aggressive enough with the gas when I set off but the handbook says to take is easy for the first 1500km and try to change up at about 2000rpm which is what I'm doing. It's not like I'm holding up traffic when I set of either ... it's a nice, smooth acceleration I'm getting.

I've come from a car with DSG and haven't had to bother about gear changes for about 3 years so any tips on how to work the 1.8T optimally would be much appreciated. I'm after a smooth, economical ride rather than any hot foot action.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Tuff,

My advice would be to switch it off (there is an option in MMI for 'Suggested Gear') as it is annoying, and some of the suggested gear changes are stupid (as you've noticed).

For the first 1000 miles, I kept my 1.8T under 4000rpm, normally changing around 3500rpm.

What MPG are you getting currently?

Thanks,
Richard

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
The suggested gear is reacting to your driving style. If you press the accelerator gently, then it will assume that you're NOT looking for much acceleration, therefore it will suggest that you move up a gear - incidently, this is suggesting gears that will save you fuel with the driving style the car is "sensing".

Depress the accelerator further and it will assume that you're LOOKING for acceleration, therefore, it will suggest that you stay in selected gears for longer and take each gear further up the RPM range, in order to deliver more acceleration.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi TLU

Had mine for just over a week now - not taking too much notice of the mpg at the mo during the running in period, but think I'm averaging about 28 in mostly town driving since I've had it. The one longer run I had I think gave me about 36. It should improve as engine friction reduces.

The gearchange indicator does take a bit of getting used to but think it's quite good. Rab is right, I've noticed that it's suggesting a change up on constant throttle, if I accelerate a little harder it disappears, then reappears if I go back to constant throttle.

I was a bit concerned about the engine stalling or even labouring it but it seems perfectly happy to run in the suggested gear. Obviously you're going to need to change down if you need a bolt of acceleration but otherwise I'm happy to follow it's instructions !

Changing up at 2000rpm seems a bit low, think the handbook recommends no more than 2/3 max engine speed (redline starts at 6000) which would be 4000rpm. I'm taking mine to 3-3500 for the first 1000 mls, then I'll start to gradually increase from there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts