Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body any ideas what a 2.7 TDI Sport Auto with B&O, Nav, 19inch Y Spoke Alloys, Silver will be 3 years old with approx 30K on clock?

I know no one has a cystal ball but just wondering what the future value could be. When I purchased in Dec 2007 I was hoping I would get 20K after 3 years but the world is a different place since then!

I heard a shocking story the other day about a friend of a friend who bought a 55K Porshe Cayenne 3-4 years ago and now has 40K on clock and has only been offered 9K!

Are the A5's holding value well?

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Would be helpful to know what part of the world you're in.

Please update your profile to display your location. Thanks.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I work in vehicle finance and get all sorts of projected future values from various sources sent to me each month.

To be perfectly honest, they are about as much use as a chocolate teapot right now.

The market is on a fast downhill slope and no-one knows when its going to stop.

I'm not going to frighten anyone by giving out any projected values as quite frankly, its a new year and I'm not going to ruin it for you.

Enjoy your cars and try not to think about it too much :eek:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Booster

I collect my A5 on the 19th January '09 - an ex demonstrator 3.0TDi with lots of toys, similar to yours.

I'm purchasing this using Audi finance - a personal lease/purchase plan with an end of term balloon.

The very reason I do this is to protect myself in terms of the residual value - being a regulated agreement, I have the right (once I've paid a certain amount of money) to give the car back mid term and walk away, no penalty or credit blacklisting - so if the car is worth less than final ballon payment I just walk away :)

My agreement is set at a 3 year term and Audi have set the final payment at 43.4% of purchase value - I'd work on your car being worth between 40% and 45% of its value in 3 years time (subject to condition and mileage) - if it isn't, Audi will have underwritten many many cars at the wrong value and have a big problem on their hands.

Cheers

AH9999

·
Registered
479 Posts
a personal lease/purchase plan with an end of term balloon.

The very reason I do this is to protect myself in terms of the residual value - being a regulated agreement, I have the right (once I've paid a certain amount of money) to give the car back mid term and walk away, no penalty or credit blacklisting - so if the car is worth less than final ballon payment I just walk away
Dead right! You sound like you know your onions but make sure that the "Half and Third" clause is on the agreement and you will be able to hand it back after paying half the total price if values drop significantly.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I would reckon about £16-18k but I'm no expert. Just an enthusiast who is hoping to get about 20+ for my 3.0Tdi Quattro at a similar age

·
Registered
88 Posts
Guys,

We should be looking to get about 40-45% of list price (excluding extra's) that's after 3 years or 36,000 miles.

So for a 2.7 Sport you should be looking to get around 15-16k after 3 years. Petrol models say S5 or 3.2 will be worse, maybe only about 30-40%.

The thing is over the last year or so most people have bought new 2.7's with extra's and got very little discount, maybe only recieving 3-5% discount if lucky.

Now you can buy a 2.7Sport for list price with about 5k worth of extra's thrown in.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Used values ??

;)
Guys,

We should be looking to get about 40-45% of list price (excluding extra's) that's after 3 years or 36,000 miles.

So for a 2.7 Sport you should be looking to get around 15-16k after 3 years. Petrol models say S5 or 3.2 will be worse, maybe only about 30-40%.

The thing is over the last year or so most people have bought new 2.7's with extra's and got very little discount, maybe only recieving 3-5% discount if lucky.

Now you can buy a 2.7Sport for list price with about 5k worth of extra's thrown in.

Hi ... Is this an 'informed' figure or a guess like mine? I reckoned the 16-18k posted earlier at the 30,000 mile figure requested and aded the extras. Any thoughts on mine at a similar age/mileage??:D PS Many got near 10% discount BTW.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Extras make sweet F.A. difference to the used value apart from Nav which makes it more desirable and easier to sell.

·
Registered
88 Posts
;)

Hi ... Is this an 'informed' figure or a guess like mine? I reckoned the 16-18k posted earlier at the 30,000 mile figure requested and aded the extras. Any thoughts on mine at a similar age/mileage??:D PS Many got near 10% discount BTW.
Hi.... This is an informed projected figure from an Audi dealer principal. 16-17k for a 3.0ltr TDi is about what you can expect in 3 years/36000 miles.

Note this is based on the market picking up slightly in a few years and these are trade figures.

10% that's good very good! In the current market I only managed to get 12% discount on my 2.7

·
Registered
552 Posts
Dead right! You sound like you know your onions but make sure that the "Half and Third" clause is on the agreement and you will be able to hand it back after paying half the total price if values drop significantly.
As I managed to sell my A3 three days before Christmas I am now definitely in the market for an A5. I am fortunate enough to be in a position to be able to buy the car outright, and that is what I planned to do, however the residual value and pain of resale/part ex issues are unsurprisingly foremost in my mind at the moment.

I am not in the least bit savvy when it comes to these sort of finance deals however there does appear some merit to them in view of the safeguard against the bottom falling out of the market (if it had not already!) and the fact that I will no doubt want another new Audi in three years time.

Is it easy to explain, using a theoretical example including figures, how it would work? Also would the discount obtained on the A5 be at risk if I were to go this route? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Hi.... This is an informed projected figure from an Audi dealer principal. 16-17k for a 3.0ltr TDi is about what you can expect in 3 years/36000 miles.

Note this is based on the market picking up slightly in a few years and these are trade figures.

10% that's good very good! In the current market I only managed to get 12% discount on my 2.7

Thanks I appreciate that these are 'trade' AKA sell when you're emigrating figures. I understand all the comments about extras not adding value but am told (reliable DP source) that Sat Nav and B&O are expected on S5 and V6 A5's and WILL add to trade value. Cost of B&O and Nav is circa 2.5k and I assured that £1- £1.5k should be recovered at sale time. If this is the case my projected £20k is probably about right for my highish spec with lower miles (30k) It is difficult to predict and when it comes to it I fully expect to 'lose' circa £400 a month in depreciation BUT what a motor!

·
Registered
479 Posts
As I managed to sell my A3 three days before Christmas I am now definitely in the market for an A5. I am fortunate enough to be in a position to be able to buy the car outright, and that is what I planned to do, however the residual value and pain of resale/part ex issues are unsurprisingly foremost in my mind at the moment.

I am not in the least bit savvy when it comes to these sort of finance deals however there does appear some merit to them in view of the safeguard against the bottom falling out of the market (if it had not already!) and the fact that I will no doubt want another new Audi in three years time.

Is it easy to explain, using a theoretical example including figures, how it would work? Also would the discount obtained on the A5 be at risk if I were to go this route? Thanks.
If you go for a regulated Hire Purchase type agreement there will be a clause in it that says:

"Termination: Your rights
You have a right to end this agreement. To do so, you should right to the person you make your payments to. They will be entitled to the return of the goods and to half the total amount payable under this agreement, that is £XXXXX. If you have already paid this amount plus any overdue instalments and have taken reasonable care of the goods, you will not have to pay any more."

For example:
Cost of car: £30,000
Deposit: £10,000
Amount of credit £20,000
Interest charges: £3500
Total amount repayable: £33500

Once you have paid £16750 you can hand the car back. That would be the £10k deposit plus instalments of £6750.

To be honest, the interest charges would outweigh any potential saving you may make from handing it back.

The only people who really benefit from handing back are those that put in very little deposit and finance it over a long period of say 4 or 5 years.

If I were you, I'd buy the car outright if you have the ability to do so.

·
Registered
552 Posts
To be honest, the interest charges would outweigh any potential saving you may make from handing it back.

If I were you, I'd buy the car outright if you have the ability to do so.
Thanks Booster for taking the time and effort to explain that to me. The above two points have just reaffirmed that I would be paying a reasonable premium for the privilege having a guaranteed get out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Its really interesting to see peoples views on this, especially as it seems you all know what your talking about.
Im on the lookout for an A5/S5, have been since they came out....but i havent been in a suitable situation...financially (new house, huge mortgage) and the most important factor.....the wife!!! She would love one, but sees the £ signs at the moment, over the beautiful motor!! So the timing has to be right for me personally. Also the car has to be right. Would love an S5, want an Audi V8 badly. But after seeing them come out new and used ones £4k over list, then stay there for a over a year, till about September, when they lost £10k almost over night, they seem to have levelled out again at £30k, it may be out of my price range. WHATCAR seems to think they will be worth £24k at 2 years old and £20k at 3. I cant see that to be honest, I think they will hold their value very well. But for me, i dont want to wait for another year and a half.

I just wanted to say, im incredibly envious/jealous, and have enormous respect for everyone on here who has an A5 or S5. I love the car so much, and want one desperately, you guys have no idea how much!!!! So for people like me who are looking at 2nd hand values, discussions like these are important, if a tad gauling to look at from an owners point of view, and from my very selfish point of view, i want the prices to come down more sooner rather than later (sorry)
If i had one now, like you guys....i would look at whats on the driveway, like im sure you all do, take in that gorgeous coupe and try not to worry about how much its gonna be worth in 1, 2 or 3 years time if its a 'keeper'. Peoples circumstances and wishes are different, which is totally understandable, some of you may want to keep it for a long time, others, change for a new one after a few years, i just thought i would share my dewy eyed/green eyed, respectful prospective.
All the best for the new year

·
Registered
61 Posts
Keep holding out

Zammo,
keep holiding out, and I'm sure that you will find a deal that suits you.
I keep looking out of the window at my beauty on the driveway. Amazing car.
So it's really worthwhile going for the '5.

If it gives you any comfort, some friends recently sold their 3 year old Range Rover. Fully loaded HSE. Standard mileage. £13k.

Last time they sold an indenticaly 3 year-old Rangie, they got £35k.

Not saying that A5 prices will drop that far, but you never know.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
If it interests you, Brighton Audi have an A5 for £22995. I remember it first went up for £25995 in Sept. Then dropped to £24995 in Nov and in Dec £23995 and now £22995. Its just been sitting there. Im sure if you approach them, they would do anything to sell that car to you.
Now, i know its not a V8 or a 3.2ltr.

Its a 1.8 sport, with xenon+DLR, B&O sound system, alcantra seats, 8350k on the clock, 57 REG, Garnet Red, rear parking aid, GSM phone prep, hill hold.

I was going to go for the car, but Brighton wouldn't offer me a tempting package (on a PCP). Still love the A5, but decided to go for a new A3. I poped into Standsted audi to enquire about an ex-demo A3. They wanted too much for it, it would make sense just to order a new car. (get all the bits i want) They wouldn't offer me a good deal either, so went to another dealer and gave me an unbeatable deal.

Since i have been looking at the A5's, they just don't seem to be shifting them. The list is getting bigger, rather than smaller! (same as the S3 and S5) I did ask the sales guy at the time, how often is the S3 being sold? (as an example) He just said, not many. AVG new one a week or a used one 2-3 weeks. Just was saying the A3 or Q7 or A4 was their biggest sellers.

Cars just depreciate all the time and unless your on the wait list, planing to sell it to someone who's waiting its the only way you make money from part-ex.

Im sure they will facelift the A5 in a year or so...they usually do with all their models. (certainly need to update those rear tail lights! :D )

·
Registered
19 Posts
Zammo,
keep holding out, and I'm sure that you will find a deal that suits you.
I keep looking out of the window at my beauty on the driveway. Amazing car.
So it's really worthwhile going for the '5.
Of that bud, i have no doubt. I know there are amazing deals on with other cars these days, but the 4 rings, a 2 door coupe '5 it will be.....just wish i had one already, sob!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.