Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( We recieved a courtecy call at the office on Friday from our fuel supplier (Shell) advising us to fill up over the weekend as the price is to rise 4.6p per Ltr early next week.:(

·
Registered
165 Posts
Isnt if funny how, back when the prices were going up and up all the haulage firms etc blockaded the fuel depots and had rolling road blocks, causing forecorts to run out of fuel and forced the government to take notice. Now with the prices going up to this new level what do we have?? Nothing absolutley nothing.. Is it possible that the haulers etc might have come to some arrangement with the Government? Because if it was really hitting them hard back then lord knows how hard it must be hitting them now. :mad:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Maybe reality has kicked in and their additional costs are now passed onto their customers like all other business's must do, there wasn't much sympathy for hauliers the last time it caused a fuel shortage in my neck of the woods - it just meant that normal working people faced massive disruption and in the end didn't have any real effect.

Their is a train of thought circulating that if we all refused to buy fuel from Esso and BP and only from the supermarkets etc, it might bring matters to a head.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Of course it is passed onto the customer, us the consumer, only this morning my wife was commenting on the price of RICE in Asda whilst we were shopping I know it's only rice but it has risen in price over 200% as with many other things. WE ARE DOOMED but at least I got my car:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
The hauliers argument at the time centred around the fact that their customers wouldn't pay an increased cost for the transport of goods and they couldn't therefore pass the increased fuel costs on and were being put out of business.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just found a nifty little website which shows fuel prices at petrol stations across the UK which I thought worth sharing.

http://www.whatgas.com/

It's a very basic site, but it's interactive and seems to work really well. The garages are overlaid on google maps too - useful for 'shopping aound' in a local area, particularly as some of the garages near me differ by up to 6p a litre....

·
Registered
714 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Where my factory is in Corby I can get U/L @ £1.08 P/l at Asda. :D
:cool:
DO they have a premium fuel too?

...Just trying to work out... it'd cost me 1 gallon to travel there to fill up, as it's a 20 mile round trip... it would have to be 12p per litre cheaper to make the extra trip pay for itself!!

...Unless I'm passing on the way to the midlands... in which case, the company is paying!!

;)

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Just paid £1.23/litre for Shell Vpower :eek: Blessed with a company fuel card so only recently started taking notice of the numbers on the pumps. But makes you think - working for a company with ~60K employees, probably a third of which have their fuel paid for, gotta have a huge impact on opex. No wonder the economy's on a precipice.

Still, the moment I get back in the car and fire her up, it's forgotten - temporarily......

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
WE ARE DOOMED but at least I got my car:rolleyes:
LOL.

Diesel now at £1.29 a litre!! small independent garage outside of Durham.
You think that's bad, when I was in Bristol last week, Shell was selling Diesel at 132.9 per litre :eek::eek:

Just paid £1.23/litre for Shell Vpower :eek: Blessed with a company fuel card so only recently started taking notice of the numbers on the pumps. But makes you think - working for a company with ~60K employees, probably a third of which have their fuel paid for, gotta have a huge impact on opex. No wonder the economy's on a precipice.

Still, the moment I get back in the car and fire her up, it's forgotten - temporarily......
Well my local Tesco is doing T99 for 118.9 per litre and its better than V Power, or so the independant tests on it i've looked at will have me believe. Start going to tescos - get your club car points too, 1 point = 1 p on your shopping, so at least you kind of get 1p a litre back. Even better when they do the 5p a litre discount sometimes too.

Goverment is Killing us!!!! Brown if you want to stay in power, cut fuel tax you greedy git, it won't be much but it'll be something.

·
Registered
714 Posts
At the risk of sounding like a left wing nob (I'm a selfish Thatcher's child!) I'm not yet convinced that the hike in fuel prices is an entirely bad thing. (Go on, flame me!)

I'm told that in real terms (cost of car fuel versus average income, cost of fuel inflation compensated etc) then fuel is still cheaper than it was before the 1980s (I have vague recollections of UK speed limits being reduced to 60mph in the mid 1970s to save fuel ... did I imagine this?)

It never ceases to amaze me when I see huge numbers of cars in supposedly "deprived" areas of the UK. I also know plenty of parents who drive their kids less than half a mile to school then take the car home again (i.e. it's not an onward journey to work). Guess what ... they're not exactly thin families. Hmm ... there must be a petrol consuming gene.

I'm kind of pleased to see reports that people are cutting down on trivial journeys and are actually having to think (wow!) about where and when they travel by car. I am sympathetic to people who commute long distances from rural or semi-rural areas or work unsociable hours and to be honest I don't have an answer for these people because public transport will never work for them.

In the UK we moan about the tax overhead ... to be honest I'm glad that 60% of what I pay at the pump goes back into the UK rather than into the coffers of a middle eastern or african country.

In my job at work I've noticed a significant decrease in the number of travel based expense claims I have to approve for my team yet I don't see any reduction in productivity ... is this a bad thing?

If you suddenly can't afford to run your gas guzzler (S5's included!) then boo hoo, seriously, you couldn't afford it in the first place and should have known better.

Whilst it's a global impact I'm kind of OK with the fuel price rises. When it becomes localised to me (to the point my country is significantly disadvantaged) then that's when I'll start to bitch.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
At the risk of sounding like a left wing nob (I'm a selfish Thatcher's child!) I'm not yet convinced that the hike in fuel prices is an entirely bad thing. (Go on, flame me!)

I'm told that in real terms (cost of car fuel versus average income, cost of fuel inflation compensated etc) then fuel is still cheaper than it was before the 1980s (I have vague recollections of UK speed limits being reduced to 60mph in the mid 1970s to save fuel ... did I imagine this?)

It never ceases to amaze me when I see huge numbers of cars in supposedly "deprived" areas of the UK. I also know plenty of parents who drive their kids less than half a mile to school then take the car home again (i.e. it's not an onward journey to work). Guess what ... they're not exactly thin families. Hmm ... there must be a petrol consuming gene.

I'm kind of pleased to see reports that people are cutting down on trivial journeys and are actually having to think (wow!) about where and when they travel by car. I am sympathetic to people who commute long distances from rural or semi-rural areas or work unsociable hours and to be honest I don't have an answer for these people because public transport will never work for them.

In the UK we moan about the tax overhead ... to be honest I'm glad that 60% of what I pay at the pump goes back into the UK rather than into the coffers of a middle eastern or african country.

In my job at work I've noticed a significant decrease in the number of travel based expense claims I have to approve for my team yet I don't see any reduction in productivity ... is this a bad thing?

If you suddenly can't afford to run your gas guzzler (S5's included!) then boo hoo, seriously, you couldn't afford it in the first place and should have known better.

Whilst it's a global impact I'm kind of OK with the fuel price rises. When it becomes localised to me (to the point my country is significantly disadvantaged) then that's when I'll start to bitch.
'
I kinda agree with where you're coming from... however there are a few things I'd like to add...

1) The fuel price hike means a rise in the cost of all goods/essentials on the shelves because we are so dependent on our food coming from miles away by lorry. This hits everyone... even those without cars. This (rather than cost at the pump)is a bigger impact for most (+£50 a week for me on food... that's £200 per month!!). Mostly because the govt. has sat on it's arse and not helped local farmers / producers.

2) The govt. has had a policy of increasing housing... which although much needed, where have they put it? well near me (south lincs), in the last 10 years I think it's about 0.5 million homes. in south lincs you now HAVE to have a car, just to commute to the train station to commute to London!!

3) Back to shops... Local authorities keep approving these lovely 'edge of town' shopping developments with plenty of free parking and no bus services... town centre shops are disapearing as a result... meaning that in your local town, 30,000 people can't walk into town to get what they need... thay have to drive out of town to get it... therefore needing car.

4) Employment... my local town used to have two major manufacturers, employing 5,000 people. Now only one survives, employing about 1,000. This means that 4,000 people need to find factory work somewhere else... by car. Successive govts have failed to support local business and UK manufacturing... and here's the result... a nation of call centres and banks that you have to drive to!

How can anyone get by, outside of an inner city without a car nowadays?

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Well, I reckon we'll see a divide in the prices soon between north and south of the border. It seems that Alec Salmond is looking for a substantial percentage of profit made from North Sea Oil, so will this mean that the British government will have to find that loss somewhere?

I'd like to see him use that money to reduce fuel duty for Scottish Motorists. If that's within his abilities. I think as it stands right now all fuel duty goes to the British Government.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
'
I kinda agree with where you're coming from... however there are a few things I'd like to add...

1) The fuel price hike means a rise in the cost of all goods/essentials on the shelves because we are so dependent on our food coming from miles away by lorry. This hits everyone... even those without cars. This (rather than cost at the pump)is a bigger impact for most (+£50 a week for me on food... that's £200 per month!!). Mostly because the govt. has sat on it's arse and not helped local farmers / producers.

2) The govt. has had a policy of increasing housing... which although much needed, where have they put it? well near me (south lincs), in the last 10 years I think it's about 0.5 million homes. in south lincs you now HAVE to have a car, just to commute to the train station to commute to London!!

3) Back to shops... Local authorities keep approving these lovely 'edge of town' shopping developments with plenty of free parking and no bus services... town centre shops are disapearing as a result... meaning that in your local town, 30,000 people can't walk into town to get what they need... thay have to drive out of town to get it... therefore needing car.

4) Employment... my local town used to have two major manufacturers, employing 5,000 people. Now only one survives, employing about 1,000. This means that 4,000 people need to find factory work somewhere else... by car. Successive govts have failed to support local business and UK manufacturing... and here's the result... a nation of call centres and banks that you have to drive to!

How can anyone get by, outside of an inner city without a car nowadays?
Ian you hit the nail on the head as usual. Every point you made is well justified and I agree with you on all of it.

Simply put, the more energy prices rise, the more everything goes up. Energy prices and cost of living are tightly coupled.

Just want to add this link too, it's nothing new to me as it only takes a bit of common sense to realise why the goverment is doing jack about fuel prices:- http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=541562&i=20

1 - 18 of 18 Posts