Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being very worried about fuel consumption on my S5 i have realised that put simply having a 4.2 V8 car in a city such as London is going to kill your fuel economy.

Having had some longer runs out of the City, the consumption is what i thought it would be.

Central London to Central Paris and back on 3 tanks of Fuel is pretty good. Especially as i put my foot down a lot, carried 4 people and luggage and had the air con on all the way.

·
Registered
276 Posts
After being very worried about fuel consumption on my S5 i have realised that put simply having a 4.2 V8 car in a city such as London is going to kill your fuel economy.

Having had some longer runs out of the City, the consumption is what i thought it would be.

Central London to Central Paris and back on 3 tanks of Fuel is pretty good. Especially as i put my foot down a lot, carried 4 people and luggage and had the air con on all the way.
So what did the mpg show on the computer?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what did the mpg show on the computer?
Didnt check, will have a look tmrw, but i fear it might be wiped off as i have done a couple of journey's since i got back to London

But London to Paris i reckon is about 230 miles so what 370km ?

So in total 460 miles on 3 tanks giving it some is pretty good. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Fuel stuff

Hello all, first post on here!

What sort of urban fuel consumption are people getting? Am just stepping out of a M5 (E60) for fuel saving reasons (7mpg in town :eek: ) and have got a deposit down on a S5 - hope things are going to get better!

Also, what sort of average motorway range are people getting? Am currently on 220-240 miles with a 75l tank - again: :eek: . Main problem is it's a pain in the @rse to have to keep stopping and refuelling!

Cheers!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Though there are worse cars out there for economy, the S5 isn't that good, and Audi has failed to improve efficiency on this model in any substantial manner.

If you're looking for efficiency, get a Tdi or another car that isn't a 4.2 V8.....

I wish that Audi would have put in a bigger fuel tank though on the S5.....

·
Registered
57 Posts
I wish that Audi would have put in a bigger fuel tank though on the S5.....
I totally agree!! It's not just the higher fuel consumption, its the fact that you are so often reminded about this when you frequently fill up!:mad: Does anyone know if there a technical reason why a larger fuel tank couldn't have been standard?:confused: I personally would prefer to pay an extra few pounds per tank-full, and stop less often to fill up!

·
Registered
55 Posts
How about a 4.2 TDI A5 as the ultimate combination of performance and efficiency ? Doesn't exist today but if they can fit the 4.2 TDI into the A8 would it be much bigger then the 4.2 petrol. This engine kicks out around 320 BHP and has enough torque to hook up a large plough.

The fact that it might embarrass an S5 and cost the same probably means it won't ever be made, it would be an interesting A5 though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.