Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've mentioned this before, but I'm getting increasingly frustrated with a perceived loss of power in my 3.0 TDI. The car has 30,000 miles on the clock, so one would guess that the engine should be nicely bedded-in / loosened up by now?

Instead, it feels like it doesn't rev as easily as it used to, and then in-gear peformance in 3rd gear and above feels sluggish. First also, feels like you're getting nowhere fast... in fact, 2nd appears to be the only gear which really still pulls hard!

I've checked the oil and all seems ok (although it has now been in the car for 13,000 miles - so part of me wonders if the viscosity gets thicker over time - but then I assume not since it's long life oil?)

The ECU seems to have had countless upgrades etc on it (from the dealer, not after-market) - following the Emissions Control light illuminating a number fo times - and so I'm left wondering (cynically) whether that might be the cause of the problem?! I mentioned this to the dealer and got the impression they thought I was nuts...

I have to confess that I'm really tempted to stick it on a AWD rolling road to see what it shows...

I know that we all get used to our cars' performance over time, so it's natural to be 'less impressed' with the acceleration after 18 months of ownership. But I honestly feel that car isn't delivering the performance it used to.

I'm at a loss, so welcome any and all suggestions!

· Registered
292 Posts
My car has similar mileage & last service. I don't notice any loss in performance. Apart from whatever was done at my 18K service, it hasn't had any ECU upgrades - unlike your car. So maybe that's the root of your problem?

· Registered
821 Posts
Re-Map :thumbsup:

· Registered
1,290 Posts
For the sake of £50 or something surely it's worth getting it on a rolling road? If it was down on power then at least you'd have some hard facts to go back to Audi with, no brainer in my opinion, get down to your nearest RR ASAP! :thumbsup:

· Registered
2,046 Posts
I've mentioned this before, but I'm getting increasingly frustrated with a perceived loss of power in my 3.0 TDI. The car has 30,000 miles on the clock, so one would guess that the engine should be nicely bedded-in / loosened up by now?

Instead, it feels like it doesn't rev as easily as it used to, and then in-gear peformance in 3rd gear and above feels sluggish. First also, feels like you're getting nowhere fast... in fact, 2nd appears to be the only gear which really still pulls hard!

I've checked the oil and all seems ok (although it has now been in the car for 13,000 miles - so part of me wonders if the viscosity gets thicker over time - but then I assume not since it's long life oil?)

The ECU seems to have had countless upgrades etc on it (from the dealer, not after-market) - following the Emissions Control light illuminating a number fo times - and so I'm left wondering (cynically) whether that might be the cause of the problem?! I mentioned this to the dealer and got the impression they thought I was nuts...

I have to confess that I'm really tempted to stick it on a AWD rolling road to see what it shows...

I know that we all get used to our cars' performance over time, so it's natural to be 'less impressed' with the acceleration after 18 months of ownership. But I honestly feel that car isn't delivering the performance it used to.

I'm at a loss, so welcome any and all suggestions!
Taken it on any long motorway runs recently?

If you are in urban traffic regularly, the DPF can get a bit clogged... maybe this could be an issue?

I would take it for a 45 minute run down a clear M way, and if it still has issues, take it to the dealer... if they won't do anything, then take it to a RR to see if there is an issue so you can tackle the dealer with this info.

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, I've done (I kid you not) 455 miles this week so far. Mostly on motorwars (managed to get a 36mpg average, woohoo!).

Rolling Road up in Kingston Bagpuize has AWD capability, £95 an hour. Might go there next week.

In the meantime, chucked a bottle of Redex in with the latest tankful of diesel. Can't hurt...

· Registered
1,558 Posts
Have you tried changing the Air Mass Meter?

It wouldn't surprise me if yours was faulty based on your car's symptoms.
I think about the same thing.

Also look at your air filter, if it is still clean.

· Registered
871 Posts
Have you tried changing the Air Mass Meter?

It wouldn't surprise me if yours was faulty based on your car's symptoms.
I must say, I like your underwear :thumbsup:

· Registered
147 Posts
Sorry to hear that...I'd push the dealer to get to the route of the problem!!

Also RR £95 p/h seems bout right, but you won't need it for a full hour just three runs. I paid £65 + vat = £74.75....So might be cheaper than you thought!!

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is the air filter easy to get to (sorry, I know I should probably RTFM...)?

I'll also ask about the air mass sensor thingy.

Thanks for suggestions

Matt

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Answered my own question on the airbox... sorry for being a dullard. Supposing the filter is dirty - any thoughts on whether to replace with a standard Audi part, or try something like a K&N filter?

I haven't used one since my first car, a 1.3 Golf back in 1992.....

· Registered
147 Posts
Ess, you never could count.... I think there's five rings! :Tombo:

I once knew a girl with Audi tattoed on her left butt cheek. It didn't look right though... I kept reading 'Audio' ;)
lol, I was thinking that!! But didn't want to post it!!

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oi, you lot, stop hi-jacking my post! :p

Ess - looks like you have the K&N filter (it's the same part number for the 3.0TDi, according to K&N's site). Any good? Where did you order from?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.