Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have been grinning since I picked up my baby on Friday.
I have one question.
The holes for the front license plate do not line up. Is there some bracket or something that I need?
I already have the U.S. clip on piece that fits over the European plate mount but the holes are about 1/2 inch off to either side.
The service dept. don't know even after calling part support.
They ordered the part that I already have (the big U.S. mount clip).
I normally wouldn't care but I am in the military and base police are a-holes (already warned once).

·
Registered
415 Posts
Don't have any answers for you, but just wanted to say welcome to the site. I've got a Meteor A5 of my own on the way (next week, hopefully), although mine's not an S-line.

And I totally agree with your assesment of base cops. I work on a base myself, and I've had more hassle with them over the years than any local law enforcement.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ouch, that hurts...I'm in charge of those "base cops". Brakedust: What branch?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had this problem once on an american car.

I used zip ties (like the cheap handcuffs the cops use at riots) bought from home depot as a temporary fix. Havent see this particular problem with audi though.

·
Registered
677 Posts
If you look closely you will see two small dents in the plastic. This is location holes for self tapping screws. This is how the front plates are mounted. Not threw the big holes with fancy clips.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you look closely you will see two small dents in the plastic. This is location holes for self tapping screws. This is how the front plates are mounted. Not threw the big holes with fancy clips.
...or youve just forcibly screwed your license plate into the bumper through random indentations. LOL.

·
Registered
677 Posts
...or youve just forcibly screwed your license plate into the bumper through random indentations. LOL.
They line up perfectly with US plates. This was the same on my last car. It had two holes in the bumper but just inside and below them were two indentions that were for lining up the plate to screw it on. My wife's MINI is the same way. Screw it to a plastic bracket.

Personally I hate the front plate so I don't run it (even though I am supposed to) I get stopped about once per year and talk my way out of it. I imagine base police would be more difficult.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Front plate mount

First of all thank you all for your suggestions.
Well there certainly aren't any dimples or indentations on my front grill. Even if there were they would run into the existing large holes already there (see pic).

Any more ideas?
Am I the only one with a front plate?

Attachments

·
Registered
441 Posts
More pics PLEASE!!!!

Hey breakdust,

I should be getting my U.S. spec. Meteor Grey 6-spd A5 S Line with all the packages except for the tech pkg. end of the month or mid May. Ill let you know then. Could you please post some more picks of your car.... I would really like to see the inside with the S Line pkg.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Side note: Dealers out here in California make you sign a "front license plate" notification form - that they've told you that you need to have one etc. I already told my dealer guy that I will be very angry if they put the plate on...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts