Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone advise

how easy is it to change the front grill - do you need to take the front bumper off to do this

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Im not sure how easy it will be, out of interest what are you planning to change it too? Is it different on the 1.8?

Off topic a bit, theres some nice 1.8 shots on the audi uk used site if your interested.

·
Registered
220 Posts
i have been told the bumper has to be taken off to fit the grille. I am awaiting delivery of my 1.8T and have a nice new gloss black grille to go on it

and the S5 mirrors

·
Registered
269 Posts
Abzy,

I will ask my bodyshop guy tommorrow when he's fitting those first class S5 mirrors I will give you a heads up by the way S5 grill is a straight fit as well !!

Regards Golfdeeko :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
i have been told the bumper has to be taken off to fit the grille. I am awaiting delivery of my 1.8T and have a nice new gloss black grille to go on it

and the S5 mirrors
Whats the grill off??

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks Derek, listen you must have some serious cash :) getting those mirror caps fitted - even i could do them - dont know if jen is still interested - not got back to me - yo may have scred her off with fitting info previously?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hope you don't mind me asking, where did you but the new grill and mirrrors? I'm looking for the S5 grill trim to upgrade my A5. I haven't had much success an where.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Can anyone advise

how easy is it to change the front grill - do you need to take the front bumper off to do this
Hi,

this is quite hard to do and YES, the front bumper has to be taken off to do the change. However, my service did it for me and S5 grill looks on my color very good. I removed number "5" so, it is quite nice.

Photo:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Grill removal

To remove the grill, you have to drop off the bumper cover and temp and parking sensors. Then it is held on with a dozen screws. The S5 maual gives step by step instruction how to do this.

I was thinking of putting a Euro plate on my S5 (I currently have the filler panel) and was surprised when I removed the filler panel to find the space for the Euro plate underneath. However, for some reason, there are 4 slots milled in to the sides of the front plastic! So that means me having to purchase a new grill without the slots. The grill is $400 ish.

If I do this, then I will have a basically new S5 grill and filler panel that I won't need. I figured I would put it on ebay - however if you are interested I could do a good deal for you:)

Let me know. I also have to check if I can get the new grill without the slots otherwise I may not bother.

·
Registered
750 Posts
To remove the grill, you have to drop off the bumper cover and temp and parking sensors. Then it is held on with a dozen screws. The S5 maual gives step by step instruction how to do this.

I was thinking of putting a Euro plate on my S5 (I currently have the filler panel) and was surprised when I removed the filler panel to find the space for the Euro plate underneath. However, for some reason, there are 4 slots milled in to the sides of the front plastic! So that means me having to purchase a new grill without the slots. The grill is $400 ish.

If I do this, then I will have a basically new S5 grill and filler panel that I won't need. I figured I would put it on ebay - however if you are interested I could do a good deal for you:)

Let me know. I also have to check if I can get the new grill without the slots otherwise I may not bother.
Hey there SD,

When you get the new grill, just put your filler panel in the "For Sale and Group Buys" section, I am sure it will sell. (Don't forget pictures though...we love pictures). ;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Alejandro - do you have any close up pictures of the S5 grille with the "5" removed?

·
Registered
46 Posts

Yeah, let me know when/if you're selling it, I may be interested. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Alejandro - do you have any close up pictures of the S5 grille with the "5" removed?
Sure, here you go and sorry for delay...

I know it is not perfect, but trust me, it is not really visible unless you are standing 10 centimeters from it.:)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Perhaps putting the 'Quattro' emblem from the A5 grille would look better than taking out the '5' from the S5 grille?

Or, take the 'S' off and move it to the centre of the black patch in the photo?

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Perhaps putting the 'Quattro' emblem from the A5 grille would look better than taking out the '5' from the S5 grille?

Or, take the 'S' off and move it to the centre of the black patch in the photo?

What do you guys think?
Alejandro - thanks for posting the close up.

I don't think the standard A5 Quattro badge fits on the 'S' grille. Also, I had forgotten that the S cars have titanium coloured plastic trim (my previous S4 Avant was the same). The A5 3.0Tdi has a black lacquered look grille and black rear valance. I think it might look a little odd having a titanium coloured grille and black rear valance.

I guess the solution would be to upgrade the rear bumber to the 'S' version...

Is all starting to sound very expensive!

Think I'll stick with my existing.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Guys, of course I was trying to solve this dilemma...No, you can't put the Quattro badge from A5 mask, because it is too wide and too not tall enough...it would look horrible.

There is one thing that fits this place PERFECTLY. It is ABT emblem and it looks hot there, but since I don't have a single thing from ABT I figured I shouldn't put it there.

About S moving to the middle, it doesn't look that bad afterall, I think I will keep this way, at least I can be sure that S would not come off someday after moving it there....

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Yeah, I had posted my thought over there.....some time ago I was actually considering the whole ABT bodykit without wheels, so all the bumpers, exhaust, side skirts, grill...everything. Price I was offered was 6600 EUR.
I decided not to go for it since my car is new and I am still enjoying the looks of it, maybe in a few years when I will get "bored" of my car appearance, I would go for some bodykit, but for now I am fine with my S-Line exterior.:)
The only thing I actually might buying now is exhaust system and ABT rear wing on the trunk, looks nice.:cool:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Grill change

Anyone know if the S5 grill will fit the A5? i have been told the S5 grill is wider in the bottom and hence wont fit without changing the bumper as well? would this be a true statement and if applicable to the s-line as well?

thanks

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Anyone know if the S5 grill will fit the A5? i have been told the S5 grill is wider in the bottom and hence wont fit without changing the bumper as well? would this be a true statement and if applicable to the s-line as well?

thanks
Man, why do you think, I was posting above?:)
It is possible, read my posts.:cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts