Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New member checking in here: My 'US-Spec' 09' S5 is due in around July 28th :D and I absolutely need to have front sensors (parking assist).

Has anyone in the US added front sensors to their car? Were you able to get OEM? Even aftermarket? They're standard or optional in Europe but not in the US:confused: :mad:

I called my local dealer (Parts Mngr) and got the answer I sort of expected - "I will check to see if you or I can even order the actual 4 sensors and the wiring harness (assuming the mate/plug-in is there in the car to connect to), but I am 99.9% sure our Service Dept. will not install it as it would be a liability issue.":mad:

Any comments or assistance would be appreciated, thanks! Steve

·
Registered
383 Posts
Interesting question.

I had a quick look at the US Workshop manual and it shows 8 sensors, 2 buzzers and a control box.

It appears that the current implementation is to use only the 4 rear sensors along with the camera. Dont know if the control boxes differ from the 8-sensor configuration to the 4 sensor+camera configuration. This would be something to check before buying the sensors and having to remove the front bumber cover to fit them.

You might be able to find out if the control module is the same for both applications by using VAG-COM to read the part numbers. My guess would be that the hardware is the same, but the soft coding is different. So you would need to find a member with the 8 sensor configuration who is willing to scan that module for the part number. You could ask the dealer these questions, but, well.... you know the story there...

·
Registered
750 Posts
New member checking in here: My 'US-Spec' 09' S5 is due in around July 28th :D and I absolutely need to have front sensors (parking assist).

Has anyone in the US added front sensors to their car? Were you able to get OEM? Even aftermarket? They're standard or optional in Europe but not in the US:confused: :mad:

I called my local dealer (Parts Mngr) and got the answer I sort of expected - "I will check to see if you or I can even order the actual 4 sensors and the wiring harness (assuming the mate/plug-in is there in the car to connect to), but I am 99.9% sure our Service Dept. will not install it as it would be a liability issue.":mad:

Any comments or assistance would be appreciated, thanks! Steve
It is highly doubtful that an dealer will add them; the side assist is supposed to be available for the '09 US-Specs, but I have not yet seen any info on the front assist feature for the US. It is a cool feature, but so far...no info.

;)

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RE: Front bumper sensors

Thanks so much for your comments gentlemen, and Bungle2822 - amazing response! It looks like I have some more homework to do, and a decision to make - whether to spend in upwards of $1000 to have this capability or to set up an orange caution-cone wall and hold practice with my wife!

Hmmm, if the front bumper were to get damaged a little later down the raod, it would give me a great reason to upgrade to something like the 'Caractere' front end. I still have 9 weeks before my S5 arrives though so this is something else to keep my mind off the wait. . .once again this forum rocks!!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Considering that in Europe, the rear-view camera is always accompanied by front and back sensors I find it strange that they left the front sensors out in the U.S. - and also am hopeful that maybe there are the right control boxes already in the car (since rear-view camera is there too) and the only thing that is missing are some cables to the front, the front sensors and flicking a few bits to different positions with VAG COM.

Thie linked below site has been recommended for researching and asking technical Audi questions such as this:

http://www.navplus.us/forums/

In any case, definitely it is doable since you can install all sensors and even the camera if need be, but if the control boxes are already the right ones then it will be easier and cheaper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.