Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change my front blinker's orange bulb as it reflects orange inside the housing and now since I have the e-codes I want everything clear... A few questions: what type of bulb do I need? Is it easy to install? And who sells those chrome bulbs that blink orange? Thanks

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Regarding installation of the bulb and bulb type, couldn't you just take a look at your US spec headlights to determine that (assuming you still have them lying around)? I know one thing is for sure... you will have to remove the headlight housing on the passenger side in order to have sufficient access to the bulb.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
OK, well since I'm a nice guy, I decided to go get my US spec headlights out of the garage and check them out. (Like I said above, if you still have yours lying around, I would think you could have easily done the same.)

Bulb removal procedure:

1. Remove the round rubber cap from the back of the headlight housing. Once the cap is removed, the bulb location will be staring you in the face. (photo 1)

2. Twist the bulb housing counter-clockwise to unlock it, and then pull it out.

3. To remove the bulb from its housing (as seen in photo 2), press inward on the bulb and twist it counter-clockwise (with the bulb facing you) and then it will release from the bulb housing. (Note: Don't touch the bulb with your fingers since body oils decrease the life of halogen bulbs.)

The bulb type is H21W. It's a 12-volt, 21-watt halogen bulb with a BAY9s base. (photo 3)

As for where to find those chrome type of bulbs that blink amber, this place sells them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Erm excuse me but whats the point of changing a clear bulb to a different one when the amber refelctor is still there inside the headlight!?
Problem is that amber reflector cant be removed from the back. Trust me ive tried

·
Registered
437 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Erm excuse me but whats the point of changing a clear bulb to a different one when the amber refelctor is still there inside the headlight!?
Problem is that amber reflector cant be removed from the back. Trust me ive tried
Haha I was noticing the same thing when looking at Tx's pics. Obviously the amber part is not the bulb itself.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I suppose it keeps them occupied. Every tried playing Monopoly?:cool:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Haha I was noticing the same thing when looking at Tx's pics. Obviously the amber part is not the bulb itself.
DOH! :mad: I guess if I would have read the original post a little more carefully (i.e., where BD997 assumed the blinker bulb is orange), I could have saved myself some time and effort in taking those photos and typing up the steps since changing out the bulb is a moot point anyway. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, well since I'm a nice guy, I decided to go get my US spec headlights out of the garage and check them out. (Like I said above, if you still have yours lying around, I would think you could have easily done the same.)

Bulb removal procedure:

1. Remove the round rubber cap from the back of the headlight housing. Once the cap is removed, the bulb location will be staring you in the face. (photo 1)

2. Twist the bulb housing counter-clockwise to unlock it, and then pull it out.

3. To remove the bulb from its housing (as seen in photo 2), press inward on the bulb and twist it counter-clockwise (with the bulb facing you) and then it will release from the bulb housing. (Note: Don't touch the bulb with your fingers since body oils decrease the life of halogen bulbs.)

The bulb type is H21W. It's a 12-volt, 21-watt halogen bulb with a BAY9s base. (photo 3)

As for where to find those chrome type of bulbs that blink amber, this place sells them.
Thanks TX!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didnt know it was part of the housing... figured it was just the bulb :rolleyes:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didnt know.... thanks

·
Registered
642 Posts
isnt it the corner lights not the turn signal that has the orange housing?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
jyohay, the turn signal has an orange/amber lense in front of the bulb. As you'll see in this pics I posted above, the turn signal bulb is clear. So it's that amber lense that allows the turn signal to light up as amber.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.