Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I currently own a 07 WRX. I absolutely fell in love with the 5 series upon its release and hope to get one soon. ( a A5 that is, at my age a 60k car is not easily justified...lol)

I know that with subarus boxer 4, the engine is a torque monster. I make 341 ft lb of torque currently. But the crappy interior and what not have kind of made me want something that combine performance and luxury. The reason I was attracted to Audi was cause of its AWD, and AWD performance cars are amazing.

Heres my WRX if anyone wanted to check it out...

a pre-coilover photochop of a lowering from a while ago haha

Has anybody ever driven, or in a STi? what the comparison S5/A5 wise when it comes to handling, I know the 5 series is quite long compared to the impreza.

My dad has the E9x series M3 (not sure its exact number haha), that thing has a high horsepower rating but the EXACT same torque as a stock STI. As such we tend to feel similar initial acceleration. Is the 5 similar in respects to it being more of a horsepower car over torque?

Just trying to get familiar with the performance characteristics of the 5 line and the community!

-Mike Vera

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey Evohuntin,

Thats a nice WRX you have there. Sorry, but I've never driven a WRX nor its STI variant, but I've sure seen them hand some people their asses on the freeways. I have always seen and heard great things about the performance of these cars, and heard of the same downfalls as far as interior quality.

Since I still dont have my S5, but have tested both the A5/S5, I can tell you that these cars are worlds apart from the WRX. The A5 is a quick and fairly nimble car, performance is 0-60 in the low 6s, high 5s range. Handling is lighter than bimmers, but still very good, but I wouldnt expect the same kind of handling as your WRX.

The S5 is a power hungry beast. Its specialty is straight line performance ( ive heard 0-60s in as fast as 4.5s and low 13s to high 12s for the for the quarter). It has 325lb/ft torque @ 3500 RPM so it is fairly accessible early on (but I dont know too much about the torque curve) Again, handling is crisp but it is a big car...which brings it to the main point, the A5/S5 is more of a GT car and it this GT is done exceptionally well. Great looks, unbeatable interior, a hefty amoumt of performance, and a very exclusive owners club. It really is a completely different ball game than the WRX.

Well thats my take on it at least, hopefully someone that actually has an A5/S5 can give u better comparasion. Happy huntings...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Evohuntin,

Thats a nice WRX you have there. Sorry, but I've never driven a WRX nor its STI variant, but I've sure seen them hand some people their asses on the freeways. I have always seen and heard great things about the performance of these cars, and heard of the same downfalls as far as interior quality.

Since I still dont have my S5, but have tested both the A5/S5, I can tell you that these cars are worlds apart from the WRX. The A5 is a quick and fairly nimble car, performance is 0-60 in the low 6s, high 5s range. Handling is lighter than bimmers, but still very good, but I wouldnt expect the same kind of handling as your WRX.

The S5 is a power hungry beast. Its specialty is straight line performance ( ive heard 0-60s in as fast as 4.5s and low 13s to high 12s for the for the quarter). It has 325lb/ft torque @ 3500 RPM so it is fairly accessible early on (but I dont know too much about the torque curve) Again, handling is crisp but it is a big car...which brings it to the main point, the A5/S5 is more of a GT car and it this GT is done exceptionally well. Great looks, unbeatable interior, a hefty amoumt of performance, and a very exclusive owners club. It really is a completely different ball game than the WRX.

Well thats my take on it at least, hopefully someone that actually has an A5/S5 can give u better comparasion. Happy huntings...
Thanks for the reply man, My main struggle has been between a a5 and a 335i coupe. I think the A5 has more of a exotic look tho. Does the A5 have the front leds that the S5 has?

The STi is an odd car, it looks kinda of funny sometimes, but goes like stink. There are a couple guys on the NASIOC (north american subaru impreza owners club) that have their cars at 700hp+ and have run mid to low 10s etc.

The one thing I love audi for is AWD, I have been to quite a few track events, and the confidence that AWD gives you is matched by none.

Thanks for your reply man!

-Mike Vera

·
Registered
53 Posts
No problem man, glad to help out

But yea, the A5 has the same day time running lights as the S5s do. You should know that the S5 is a more appropriate match for the 335i, at least performance wise, but i understand the A5 is closer in price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No problem man, glad to help out

But yea, the A5 has the same day time running lights as the S5s do. You should know that the S5 is a more appropriate match for the 335i, at least performance wise, but i understand the A5 is closer in price.
funny, I always thought that the S5 was meant to compete with the M3

·
Registered
53 Posts
funny, I always thought that the S5 was meant to compete with the M3
Yeah you would think so, but whole 5 series line is weird because there are no direct competitors when u look at price and performance together. The upcoming RS5 will be the true M3 competitor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts