1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
So you chose option 2 then :)

·
Registered
714 Posts
I've seen one in Ice Silver with a sunroof at Wakefield Audi and it looked excellent. The black of the panoramic roof made it look quite special.

But a word of warning. I have the Open Sky panoramic sunroof on my A3 and although it's great in the summer with the kids in the car I find I get a lot of cabin noise from it (and I mean when it's shut). There is nothing mechanically wrong with the sunroof, it's just that the glass isn't a great noise insulator and the air catches where the glass meets the metal even though it looks and feels very smooth.

Obviously can't say if this transfers to the A5 but I'd suggest it's something to watch (listen) out for if you take a test drive.

·
Registered
714 Posts
The glass roof area on the A5 isn't as large as the A3 so the noise may not be so bad and the A5 strikes me as being a better built car so again this could help.

The other very minor consideration is that in the summer the black glass roof can get what I can only describe as salt marks after it's rained and I find these persist all through the summer. It's obviously a result of the rain evaporating on the glass and leaving a residue but it can get pretty unsightly. I found using a silicon blade to clear water immediately after washing helped but isn't perfect. I'm not the most fastidious of car washers so there are probably plenty of other tricks to keep the glass nice and clean that don't involve 6 gallons of Windowlene and 3 hours every saturday afternoon.

Please, please don't think I'm trying to put you off as I'm not. My experiences are with a completely different car not the A5/S5. The car you're looking at sounds fantastic but I just thought I'd share my experiences so you can weigh this up in advance of shelling out almost £50k.

·
Registered
714 Posts
:eek: WHAT!?!?! Did it come with a personal valet? Sorry, but that was a little shocking to read. A fully loaded S5 (with taxes) in the US is about $63,000. (31,888.29 GBP)

Is this what they are all going for in the UK?
At the risk of going over old territory, in the UK your $63,000 would get you my 1.8T as specced in my signature and leave you with a few hundred dollars (enough for maybe 10 tanks of petrol at this week's prices). So, no Nav, no advanced key, no adaptive lights, no S-line trim etc.

List price for the S5 in the UK is about £40,000 without any options which Google reckons to be about $79,200. Goes some way to explain why US order slots are hard to come by yet in the UK it's not too bad.

I think our friends in Ireland and other parts of Europe will be along shortly to say how good we have it in the UK. Last pricing I did, it was cheaper to get the same spec A5 in the UK than in Germany.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.