Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since i got my A5 3ltr about 6 months ago - i had thought hmm its a used car - the head of sales had it, its done a few miles but its in great condition and less than 7 months old so what could be wrong....

when detailing it and clay bar, I noticed the front section just below the bonet / hood line was a different paint texture, I also noticed a small buff or friction mark on one of the head lamps. But with no sign of a scrape I thought nothing of it - that is until now the paint is flaxing to reveal a grey undercost. I took the car into a 'rival' audi dealer who explained that it must have been secret sprayed to conceal a minor scrape or impact.

Now you would have thought that buying a nearly new car from an approved audi dealer was fool proof, I asked them why the head light was marked when I got it but they didnt say anything...I guess not.

But now what do i do, I am realy P*(&^%ed off, but the dealer I got the car from is just going to say I had it done.

any thoughts...can I give the car back and say they mis-sold me?

· Registered
74 Posts
since no used car salesman or private seller is obligated to introduce his car as 'well it's been crashed here, and got hit here, scratched here . . . ' it's pretty normal to 'touch up' and 'clean up' a car before selling, that's what anyone would do, right?

i would be really peeeed off if i was sold a used vehicle being told it's a brand new car or even 'showroom' car.

but in your case, i would just chill and be happy with your new a5! hopefully u got it at a good price. the front of the a5 is pretty long, so someone might have scraped it along a wall or another car. be glad you got a clean and healthy engine, and clean interior that wasn't rain flooded. any garage with a good mechanic would be able to tell if the car was involved in a 'big' accident damaging the chassis, which would result in safety issues . . .
hopefully u'll be able to get a good paint job in the future. sorry to ramble on n on here, just havin my breakfast . . . hope u feel better. . .

· Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't audi sell their cars with a exceptionally long paint warranty? Possibly in the regions of 7-10 years?

I'd be taking it back to the dealership straight away. Obviously they've sold you a car with a dodgy paint job. And for them to Label their cars as "audi approved", they should be checking their used cars for bad paint jobs or cover ups.

There's no excuse for them to have "hidden" it's past either. If the car previously belonged to the head of sales, they KNOW it's past, they KNOW that it's been damaged and repaired. So when you ask them about it being repaired, they shouldn't deny it.

But as i've said, make use of the car's warranty to get the paint job done by an approved audi centre - I suggest you take it to a different audi dealership though, which is your choice entirely.

· Registered
72 Posts
My last car (an A4) had a slight paint imperfection on the rear bumper when it was 2.5 years old.
I took it to my local dealer, and they resprayed and sorted out under warranty.

Even if they don't admit to the patch-up, they should still redo it under their warranty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.