Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fortunate for me I work around the corner from AWE Tuning and they are putting together an exhaust that should drop jaws :eek: I just came back from there and the fa-sizzle looks so sweet that I already placed myself on the waiting list so forget about the Milltek for me

From what I saw their cat-back system (with downpipes to follow) is a single muffer design with a H-pipe. The system will be available with and without resonators. According to the sales person that showed me around, it WILL have an HP gain (how much is still unclear) as just a enhanced sound is not going to cut the mustard in their eyes. No date or price but I am sure it will be soon and priced competitively ($1500-$2000) as they are just putting on the finishing touched on their test car.

Check out the AWE thread on this over at audizine.com for more info and dyno run for S5.

NEW: Just posted the dyno gain and video on audizine.com...OMFG!!!!!!!! I am happy that I waited!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow....... Milltek has some serious competition, the exhaust sounds great, definetly consider getting this AWE as a first choice, anxiously awaiting production dates???

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AWE is a very renowned tuner here in the states (they are even showcased in xbox360 Forza motor sports game) so I am sure that they can ship international. However, I can ask them on Mon.

Tommy from AWE is on the audizine.com forum all the time so you can shoot over there and ask him directly if you do not want to wait.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...It's great to get some choice! Well done AWE...

...As for the Milltek... It's a shame we haven't got Dyno figures... Milltek do not claim any extra power, but that's typically British! I reckon the usual 3-5% applies for a system like this - there's definately a noticeable difference wth mine. It's hard to tell with the sound from a vidoe camera, but the AWE doesn't sound a 'deep' as the Milltek, but I would expect that with the type of mic. you get on a camera (Poor LF response)... The cabin noise level is definately quieter than the milltek... YES I said the AWE is QUIETER in the cabin as far as I can tell from the video...

...I'll try and get some cabin sounds done with the same set-up I used for the exterior sounds (with me talking so you get something to reference the sound level with... and some recordings under full load from the outside too, then we should have some comparisons so peeps here can make their choices! I'll try to get this done this week.

...BTW... I'm not extolling the virtues of one system over the other... it's just I have the Milltek, so I can provide you guys with information ad sounds to help choose IF you are trying to decide... Personally I think they're both an improvement on stock in looks, sound and power and I'd be happy with either... Funnily enough I think it would come down to aesthetic differences between the two that would be my deciding factor!!

Ian. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Great to great some peformance comments on the Milltek. I assumed that a new exhaust would yield some performance gains but surprized when I could not find any numbers. I guess sound is more important than perf gains since they are only 3-5% on a already quick car?

One thing I did learn is that manufactuers measures power at the engine to get their 349HP number and the S5 only registers 252HP (AWE Dyno run) at the wheels - "Truth in engineering" - ha! I can't imagine if we really had 349HP at the wheels!

To me, both look great so it comes down to sound, performance and of course price. Since Milltek is imported from the UK (and the $ is crap right now) I would expect it to be more expensive. So long as AWE prices it under $2K I will be installing it.

In the video, I am not sure if this is there non-res or res verison - they will be coming out with both.

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
cant download it :|

·
Registered
4 Posts
For those without V8 engines, is there a software engineer somewhere who can link the engine management computer with the stereo and develop a piece of software that reproduces that magnificent V8 sound (at least in the cabin) while driving a TDI?!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
For those without V8 engines, is there a software engineer somewhere who can link the engine management computer with the stereo and develop a piece of software that reproduces that magnificent V8 sound (at least in the cabin) while driving a TDI?!
I'll send you a recording of mine Reak !!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
AWE is a very renowned tuner here in the states (they are even showcased in xbox360 Forza motor sports game) so I am sure that they can ship international. However, I can ask them on Mon.

Tommy from AWE is on the audizine.com forum all the time so you can shoot over there and ask him directly if you do not want to wait.
Tom is from AWE and I'm Tommy the owner of the S5. I can answer any questions you have. Thanks-

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just asked the question over at audizine.com

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
http://www.vag-tuner.com is their UK distributor so you can get it from them when availalble. Also, they just finished their downpipes. No real performance gains but sounds even more aggressive. They posted a vid on audizine.com

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hmm I still think my non-resonated Milltek sounds better; mine sounds deeper and less raspy than the AWE setup.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts