Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for those of you that have already got forged wheels on your car, or actually anyone who can answer my question.

The 20" forged wheels that some members have put on to their cars - are these lighter than the stock 19s?

If so by approx how much?

Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
hmmm I cant answer this to be precisely sure.... But the DPE LS5 you are probably referring to weigh in at about 25 lbs. The 19" S5 wheel is probably around the same....

If you are looking at performance, I would suggest sticking with 19"

·
Registered
735 Posts
Lightweight 18"s will give an even better performance result too I bet - won't look as good, but will spin up faster and get you going even quicker from a standing start :)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm I cant answer this to be precisely sure.... But the DPE LS5 you are probably referring to weigh in at about 25 lbs. The 19" S5 wheel is probably around the same....

If you are looking at performance, I would suggest sticking with 19"
Thanks, will most likely be sticking to 19s as I want my mods to enhance performance more than anything, not the other way round.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I'd love a set of DPE LS5's on mine, but I cant find a uk supplier and not sure I can be arsed with importing...

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These CX-R wheels are quite light, they come in at

19" x 8.5 weighs 10.80 kg
19" x 9.5 weighs 11.20 kg

And they cost half as much as Forged wheels, so more money for other mods.....​

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
I wrote up detailed comparison of Forged vs Stock 19s in another forum. Don't remember the specs but let me say that I've shaved about 120lbs off of the S5 through various avenues. If I can find the thread again, I'll post a link here.

This is for those of you that have already got forged wheels on your car, or actually anyone who can answer my question.

The 20" forged wheels that some members have put on to their cars - are these lighter than the stock 19s?

If so by approx how much?

Thanks.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Those were nice wheels and light. Pity that BBS went out of business, I'd really like to see them make a come back with more up to date designs.

take a look at 18" or 19" BBS RS-GT. I had 19" RSGT and they were 21.5 lbs (9.75 kg)

Man what a different they made!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
With the DPE LS5, you lose about 4 pounds on each corner, but more importantly, you have less unsprung weight....

A good forged wheel will usually be a step down in weight from a stock cast wheel...

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Those were nice wheels and light. Pity that BBS went out of business, I'd really like to see them make a come back with more up to date designs.
BBS isn't out of business, I've been e-mailing them over the last few days. Infact I just recieved an e-mail from them saying that the CX-R wheels can't be used on a car that has a power output of more than 167kw which is about 240bhp. This is apparently because the wheels are too delicate to withstand the strain of an engine producing more power than this.

This is a big shame :( as I actually really liked the wheels and (according to the vwdirect ebay shop the OEM S5 wheel is 18kg without a tyre) the CX-R wheel would have saved me around 7kg a corner knocking off 28kg in total :D

Nevermind, on goes the quest for good looking (reasonably priced), light weight wheels.

Just for those in the UK a set of these wheels 19x8.5 for the A5 will cost approx £1700 without tyres nearly half the price of forged wheels.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Well maybe out of business was not the correct terminology, but yes they recently went Bankrupt just last year. If they would have released more designs other than just mesh, they may have prevented that. I love the LMs don't get me wrong, but one has to admit they have very similar designs in their line-up.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/07/bbs-goes-bust/

BBS isn't out of business, in fact I've been e-mailing them over the last few days. Infact I just recieved an e-mail from them saying that the CX-R wheels can't be used on a car that has a power output of more than 167kw which is about 240bhp. This is apparently because the wheels are too delicate to withstand the strain of an engine producing more power than this.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well maybe out of business was not the correct terminology, but yes they recently went Bankrupt just last year. If they would have released more designs other than just mesh, they may have prevented that. I love the LMs don't get me wrong, but one has to admit they have very similar designs in their line-up.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/07/bbs-goes-bust/
Agree with you about their designs, very similar most of them. No idea how they are back in business, maybe some investor jumped in at the last moment.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BBS isn't out of business, I've been e-mailing them over the last few days. Infact I just recieved an e-mail from them saying that the CX-R wheels can't be used on a car that has a power output of more than 167kw which is about 240bhp. This is apparently because the wheels are too delicate to withstand the strain of an engine producing more power than this.

This is a big shame :( as I actually really liked the wheels and (according to the vwdirect ebay shop the OEM S5 wheel is 18kg without a tyre) the CX-R wheel would have saved me around 7kg a corner knocking off 28kg in total :D

Nevermind, on goes the quest for good looking (reasonably priced), light weight wheels.

Just for those in the UK a set of these wheels 19x8.5 for the A5 will cost approx £1700 without tyres nearly half the price of forged wheels.
Just recived an e-mail today from Philip Walker @ P W Motorsport Ltd, where I was making enquiries about the CX-R wheels, as I mentioned before BBS said that the wheels were not suitable for the S5 as they had a power restriction on them but it seems things have changed now and the original info was incorrect,

"Saj,
I have just returned from the BBS factory in Germany.
I was not sure the info we had been sent re the wheel power restrictions was correct.
I had a meeting with the foundry manager and the head of the technical section, they confirmed the wheel would be fine for your S5. It is in fact TUV approved for the S5 and more powerfull Rs4. TUV is the German standard that all modificaions have to be.
So it is ok to supply these for your S5
Please call to discuss prices etc
Chat soon
Philip"

Looks like i'm back in business then :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.