Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My biggest (only) concern over the swap to a 10" subwoofer, is that it now hangs down in to the trunk area. Granted, I only have golf clubs back there most of the time, so it's prolly no big deal. But, looking for some opinions on the following questions:

1. How noticeable does the sub hang in to the trunk? Any "hits"?
  2. How significant is the improvement? In my younger days, I was a stereo nut, but that was 15+ years ago. I don't have a real "need" for improving the B&O sound, but for ~$120 for the sub, it almost seems silly not to.
  3. Is there an 8" sub that fits in the factory fashion that sounds notably better than factory? Based on the pics I've seen, it seems unlikely...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I had mine measured today for a Wednesday install, and based on the measurements, you will not be able to see the sub from standing height.
You will lose only 4 inches in trunk clearance which is nominal because it's still above the top lip line of the trunk.

I don't think you're gonna have an issue, but I will have a more complete picture on Wednesday.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which sub did you choose?

Four inches clearance lost seems like a lot, to me anyways. In the event of putting a suitcase in/out, or something, it would be pretty irritating to be rubbing against the sub.

Interested in your thoughts later this week - thanks.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I wasn't planning on doing anything to the stereo in this car (the reason why I paid for the B&O) but the bass is a little disappointing. And besides, I need someplace to put all this old gear from my previous car, so I have a feeling it's gonna go in there eventually....

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
B&Q or B&O

Looks more B&Q to me!

TT
RG

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't think you'll see a signicant improvement in sound unless you are willing to install a larger sub enclosure which will compromise trunk space. B&O built a special sub for the A5/S5 that was shallow and didn't require much mounting space. The quality of the speaker is very good so I'm sure a $120 sub won't be an improvement.

When I first heard the B&O system when I was in Denmark on a dealer visit they told us the stereo would be a $2000 option. It was later lowered to insure most buyers opted for the B&O upgrade. Point is the equipment is of very high quality and not easily improved upon without other (trunk space) compromises.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I don't think you'll see a signicant improvement in sound unless you are willing to install a larger sub enclosure which will compromise trunk space. B&O built a special sub for the A5/S5 that was shallow and didn't require much mounting space. The quality of the speaker is very good so I'm sure a $120 sub won't be an improvement.

When I first heard the B&O system when I was in Denmark on a dealer visit they told us the stereo would be a $2000 option. It was later lowered to insure most buyers opted for the B&O upgrade. Point is the equipment is of very high quality and not easily improved upon without other (trunk space) compromises.
Sorry, but 3 owners have already switched out their subs and reported back significant improvement over stock. Mine goes in for surgery tomorrow and I will review as well.
The 8" paper sub in the stock location now is probably worth about $40. I know $120 for a replacement sounds like small potatoes, but any after market sub will push more air than an OEM one....

·
Registered
24 Posts
For sure an aftermarket sub can sound better but you will give up some trunk space because of the need for a larger enclosure. What sub are you going with? In past car systems I've had great luck with JL Audio. One thing to consider is the ohm rating of the replacement speaker. I think the B&O sub is 6 ohms, not too common in aftermarket subs. Hope the amp has lower impedence power handling or you may need to swap the amp as well. Please tell us how it goes!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
None of us are using enclosures. You will lose some space because of the larger magnet, but we are all just plugging in 8 ohm subs.
The factory slot is 8" so some holes need drilled, but other than that it is plug and play.

I'm using an 8 ohm 10" JL Audio sub....

·
Registered
45 Posts
sizzle - do you have pics? I'm considering doing the same but wonder how much it screws with the aesthetics...

·
Registered
109 Posts
i have a 4 ohm boxed sub hooked up to the factory amp
it doesn't even get hot
i am planning to add a fan
but i was going to do that anyway
it's a very silent fan
i guess the IT side of me always comes through
now if only i knew how to overclock the amp :)

but yes any aftermarket sub will sound much better than the factory paper cone sub
i think 40$ is being generous for its value :)
plus if you go for a 10" you will usually gain some lower frequencies Vs 8"

i am still temped to test the pioneer shallow 10" subwoofers
those will not take up any more space that the factory

·
Registered
165 Posts
Interesting reading about this sub issue here. I have the B+O upgrade cause I know the name but heres the thing .. IM nearly deaf as a post so thats one thing I wont be spending any money on thank god :D :D

·
Registered
479 Posts
i am still temped to test the pioneer shallow 10" subwoofers
those will not take up any more space that the factory
Have you seen the new super shallow mount JL Audio ones? The TW5? They look super sexy and undoubtedly will sound great, but are way expensive though!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a question ... I don't have the B&O sound sistem, I have the one with 10 speakers, including a woofer (the bose sistem i think) ...

I would like to upgrade the woofer to, but I was wondering if i have to instal an extra amplifier or not.

10x

·
Registered
298 Posts
Not to put a clinker on the subject, and not to say that the B&O sub is perfect, but these giant sub packages tend to exaggerate their intended frequencies in a way that the recording engineers responsible for the music you are listening to never wanted for the song. The create an inaccurate depiction of the music. On the other hand, if you are bass hungry, and you like it when your car jumps off the pavement every time a kick drum hits- go for it;) Kamrei is right, but don't go crazy if you want accurate sound!

·
Registered
109 Posts
i don't want boomy bass
but i think the stock does sound ok, but with limited low range response
it's not boomy
but i would guess the response drops off around 40hz
i need something that goes to about 20
i will install my infinity this weekend
i found it it will be super easy
it's the basslink T
one 10" woofer with 2 passive radiators (i.e a sealed box, so it's tight, not boomy)
it is exactly as wide as the trunk
i will mount it on the back of the rear seats
and i found out if i fold the seats
and place the subwoofer from the passenger compartment
if i close the rear seats, they hold the subwoofer enclosure very tightly
which means i won't have to drill any holes or to have it loose in the trunk
all i need is power and ground, which i will get from the battery underneath the spare.
and to get a feed from the rear subwoofer wire
which i found you can unplug from inside the passenger compartment if you put your hand up where the subwoofer is (rear shelf)
you just have to squeeze both sides to undo the clip
and since i am using the high level input
i won't need a remote wire (12v only when stereo is on) since i can use the auto-on feature (it turns on when it detects an input signal)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Despite appearances, the picture above from my Infiniti was hardly a ghetto blaster. It produced super tight bass and tuned to accompany the rest of the car and not overwhelm. Don't see many audio setups pictured here yet... kmarei, looking forward to seeing yours done.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Despite appearances, the picture above from my Infiniti was hardly a ghetto blaster. It produced super tight bass and tuned to accompany the rest of the car and not overwhelm. Don't see many audio setups pictured here yet... kmarei, looking forward to seeing yours done.
Yes it does look like it- Thank goodness its not:D

·
Registered
435 Posts
I think the system sounds good when sitting in the car parked without the engine running. But once you are moving, the bass disappears. It would be nice to get something with a metal driver.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts