Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I heard that the 2009 models radios will have an aux-in for plugging in an mp3 player with a standard 2.5mm or 3.5mm headphone cable.

Is this true ?

I hope it is. Not having an aux-in is the one thing bugging me about the A5. Everyone has mp3 players these days surely it should be standard on all radios by now.

I know you can get AMI etc... but im not paying over €4000 just to use my mp3 player. And the SC card isnt really a great idea. Surely an aux-in would have been easier. Who uses SD cards for their music and if i have 10 SD cards and want to listen to a particular CD how do i know which SD card its on ? Its not like they are big enough to write on them what cds are on there ?

I really hope they have an aux input now on the newer models. It just seems like common sense. As for the person who came up with the idea of putting an SD card reader in there instead....... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Savo,

Yes, 2009 models come with aux-in 3.5mm socket in the centre compartment. Don't knock the SD card slot though. Displays your playlists etc.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Savo,

Yes, 2009 models come with aux-in 3.5mm socket in the centre compartment. Don't knock the SD card slot though. Displays your playlists etc.
Cool. Thanks for that. That was the one thing annoying me about the A5 so alls good now :D

Yeah it is cool that the SD card displays the track etc.. but putting it in at the expense of the aux-in was very questionable to say the least.

For someone like me that has approx 300 cds i'd need maybe 15 SD cards. Imagine trying put on a particular CD. It would be impossible to find while you you are driving down the motorway. For a "mix tape" it would be handy if you were just listening to the same 200 songs but surely an aux-in was a much more sensible addition

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I doubt you would need to pay 4000 eur for AMI, though, not even in Ireland (Finland is almost as bad as you when it comes to car taxes). Since 2009 you no longer need navigation for AMI (CAN version available instead of MOST only), so if you want, you can order AMI without navi (assuming your country's Audi has it available as an option).

But yes, the AUX-IN is there since 2009 model (calendar week 22/2008 onwards), apparently in cars without AMI at least. With AMI, the port may be missing (reported to have been missing from 2009 cars with navi and AMI, just a carpet patch over the place where it should be) - but in that case AMI does support an AUX-IN cable if you really need to jack up some analog stuff, with AMI you can do that too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I doubt you would need to pay 4000 eur for AMI, though, not even in Ireland (Finland is almost as bad as you when it comes to car taxes). Since 2009 you no longer need navigation for AMI (CAN version available instead of MOST only), so if you want, you can order AMI without navi (assuming your country's Audi has it available as an option).

But yes, the AUX-IN is there since 2009 model (calendar week 22/2008 onwards), apparently in cars without AMI at least. With AMI, the port may be missing (reported to have been missing from 2009 cars with navi and AMI, just a carpet patch over the place where it should be) - but in that case AMI does support an AUX-IN cable if you really need to jack up some analog stuff, with AMI you can do that too.
Cool. Thanks for that. To get AMI here you needed to have the navigation which was €4025 i think then the AMI was approx €340 i think so it was very expensive.

So you are saying i can just get the AMI now without the nav and scroll through my mp3 player using the steering wheel and see the songs etc..on the screen for just the €340 extra (roughly) ? That would be really cool if thats true !

·
Registered
162 Posts
Cool. Thanks for that. To get AMI here you needed to have the navigation which was €4025 i think then the AMI was approx €340 i think so it was very expensive.

So you are saying i can just get the AMI now without the nav and scroll through my mp3 player using the steering wheel and see the songs etc..on the screen for just the €340 extra (roughly) ? That would be really cool if thats true !
Exactly that.

Although I have the Nav option, the new head units operate in the same way.
I have the AMI with a 120GB external hard disk attached music I'll ever need :p

I was planning on updating the other AMI threads when I get time, but just to say quickly here, avoid the very large disks, I have a 320GB disk (3 platter WD Passport) which needs a 'long' time to be recognised by AMI at startup (60sec's) - I swapped it out for my 120GB (Single platter Samsung) and it now starts up in about 5-10 seconds after starting the car..

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exactly that.

Although I have the Nav option, the new head units operate in the same way.
I have the AMI with a 120GB external hard disk attached music I'll ever need :p

I was planning on updating the other AMI threads when I get time, but just to say quickly here, avoid the very large disks, I have a 320GB disk (3 platter WD Passport) which needs a 'long' time to be recognised by AMI at startup (60sec's) - I swapped it out for my 120GB (Single platter Samsung) and it now starts up in about 5-10 seconds after starting the car..
Thats really cool. Thanks for that info. Ah, i cant wait to get my A5 now. Will be ordering when i get back from holidays in 3-4 weeks time :D

I'll probably just use my 80gb Zune mp3 player so it should load up pretty quick.

Thanks again for the info. I had no idea about this :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
i have a launch A5 model with sat nav and bose. what are my options to get an aux in? new head unit?

i'm gutted i missed the option at sale (didn't see it) for £200. retrofit is close to £500. eventually i may have to go for it but it's alot for what should have been standard anyway.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Just to concur -- yes, you can now (since model-year 2009) order AMI without the navigation. It is functionally the same (or so we assume anyway, I'm not sure anyone has really tested it here yet), technically it is a different part underneath but works the same.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
i have a launch A5 model with sat nav and bose. what are my options to get an aux in? new head unit?

i'm gutted i missed the option at sale (didn't see it) for £200. retrofit is close to £500. eventually i may have to go for it but it's alot for what should have been standard anyway.
AUX IN might be retrofittable (the analog jack), but AMI is probably the most practical route since dealers have experience and instructions on how to retro-fit AMI to sat nav MMI cars. Sure it will cost more than from the factory (they may have to change your glove compartment etc.), but it can be done.

For 2008 A4/A5s without sat nav the radio may have to be changed for a new one before a CAN-based AMI could be retrofitted, though. At least this is the initial information from Audi dealers I've seen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.