Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and before anyone gets funny, what I mean is;

How do I tell if the mechanicals are on the car, but are simply not activated in VagCom?

Any tips?

I have a 2010 S-Line Cab 2,0 TFSI

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
At least on my car it is a fourth point on the mirror adjusting button.
Also in central locking in the mmi menu there will be an option for folding mirrors.

But generally if your car has no folding mirror fourth button on your mirror switch then you havent got it.

...sounds like an opportunity for a retrofit...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about the fourth point on the button. But if you buy these buttons, from BKS tuning for example, then the fourth "fold" position is simply hidden under the door armrest plastic if not equipped...

I work in machine aftermarket (not cars but similar) and know that some AM options only need activating, but some need hardware as well.

Also, there is a break-even point for the manufacturer where it is cheaper to fit an option on the production line on ALL models, even if it is only activated on some.

So say 75% of all A5 owners choose folding mirrors. Then it is cheaper in production to fit the hardware to all cars, but only activate it on 75%

Question is, is mine one of the 25%?

·
4,507 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Power folding mirrors

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie....been eyeing a new RS5. Audi doesn't offer this option in the States. Is there a way to retrofit this in the RS5? What factory parts do I need? Many thanks!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Its an optional extra at the time of purchase, there are no motors within the mirrors although there is a gap for the motors, there is also no wiring for the motors commonly a blue and pink wire leading to pins 9 and 10 of the connector block.

also you need to check whether your door modules are compatable and have enough pins.

Ron, guys :- see this for my retrofit and all the info you need:-
http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-performance-mods/23630-electric-folding-mirrors-ebay.html

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Also, there is a break-even point for the manufacturer where it is cheaper to fit an option on the production line on ALL models, even if it is only activated on some.

So say 75% of all A5 owners choose folding mirrors. Then it is cheaper in production to fit the hardware to all cars, but only activate it on 75%
I think all Audi's are made to order and no extra cables or hidden unused optional extras exist. For example; if you don't have a back up camera, you don't have the video in on the MMI control module.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I think all Audi's are made to order and no extra cables or hidden unused optional extras exist. For example; if you don't have a back up camera, you don't have the video in on the MMI control module.
The only options that I know of that arent activated are ones within the VCDs coding i.e. the coding itself for example the tilting mirror, the Audi Drive Select option - these dont have hardware. so yes there are some not activated but only software options, hardware you have to buy as an optional extra at time of production/new purchase.

I retrofitted xenon headlights and I am going to install the auto levelling this requires the range sensor module, sensors for the passenergers wheel arches and a wiring loom. Like wise with the headlight washers, although the washer reservoir bottle had a gap for a second pump, the hardware wasnt there, I needed a pump, headlight washer jets and a compatable bumper with washer jet covers in. One thing that was there was the holders for the washer jets - it was easier to install these to every vehicle at time of production.

JB:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was looking into this for my Audi A5 and found this video. Don't know if it'll help or if it works but it will tell you if you've motors fitted or not, if it does work.
My mate bought an A6 from Audi. He was told that it didn't have electric folding mirrors but he said he wanted them. They said it'll cost £40 for the software update so he did it and that was it, electric folding mirrors.....

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I have no idea about the A6, but this won’t work on the A5. Electric folding mirrors have different internals (motor and gearing) than manual ones and you also need the mirror switch on the door card and associated wiring and control module.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 12 of 12 Posts