Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Audi S5 sportback
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys

Posting this for information to anyone interested that the FIS-Control MMI and a Wireless Carplay/Android Auto Interface are compatible and work as intended when both are installed. This is installed on a 3G MMI+ system.

My main concern was that there is only one LVDS port on the back of the head unit, and both systems use the LVDS connection. So I just daisy chained the cables and thankfully it all works.

No install DIY here, those can be found easy on the web.

Thanks to @Dippy for all your help in the set up/configuration of the FIS-Control MMI. I found it a bit daunting at 1st, but finally got my head around it.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Great to see you got it all working.
I can see a picture of a car behind your gauges - is that the background or a reflection?
Is your list 5 from the TCU?
Is Wireless Carplay/Android Auto effectively making the MMI screen a display from the phone or does it have any actual functionality itself? Presumably it is designed for touch screens so how do you control it?

·
Registered
Audi S5 sportback
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Great to see you got it all working.
I can see a picture of a car behind your gauges - is that the background or a reflection?
Is your list 5 from the TCU?
Is Wireless Carplay/Android Auto effectively making the MMI screen a display from the phone or does it have any actual functionality itself? Presumably it is designed for touch screens so how do you control it?
  1. Car behind gauges is a background image, but I assume you are joking, hard to get that reflection from within the car :ROFLMAO:.
  2. Yes.
  3. No its not designed for touchscreens. Wireless Carplay/Android Auto Interface provides a link so you have the Carplay/Android Auto on the MMI screen and you interact with it via the MMI buttons in the centre console (see link to interface install above for button functionality, pg. 12). Basically it's a dumbed down version of your phone functions suitable for driving situations. The number of compatible apps is limited to those that have Carplay/Android Auto compatibility. Waze (for speed camera notifications) and Spotify are my favs atm. There is also phone mirror functionality but I have yet to get it working.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
FIS is on my next list of mods and when it is back in stock, which should be beginning of next month!

If anyone reading is impressed by the FIS Controller and what Cadguy has posted, would you be interested in a group buy!? :)

Aswad, so did you upload new graphics? Or is there a library of images for the background and gauges? I think I will be trying to match the speedo looks etc in the FIS gauges, if we can upload or alter the images displayed. :)

I've not listened to music in my car for over a year, too busy listening to my custom exhaust! :D

·
Registered
Audi S5 sportback
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
FIS is on my next list of mods and when it is back in stock, which should be beginning of next month!

If anyone reading is impressed by the FIS Controller and what Cadguy has posted, would you be interested in a group buy!? :)

Aswad, so did you upload new graphics? Or is there a library of images for the background and gauges? I think I will be trying to match the speedo looks etc in the FIS gauges, if we can upload or alter the images displayed. :)

I've not listened to music in my car for over a year, too busy listening to my custom exhaust! :D
There are 3 basic templates available on the FIS-MMI website. I then modified the background with Photoline (available for free if you know where to look). I've never used Photoline (or any other photo editing software) before, but it didn't take me long to get the hang of the basics. I just used images I found via Google and other image sharing sites. Best to use *.png files with a transparent background for the foreground images (logos etc).

So went from this:

To this:

Everything layout wise is fully customisable.

There are a few themes shared on the FIS-Control forum. Hopefully more will be shared in the future.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Great, thanks Aswad! Just what I thought! I will be customising the display images then! When I get the FIS Controller! :)

·
Registered
Audi S5 sportback
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I had a similar wait for the last batch of stock

1 - 7 of 7 Posts