Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed a stone chip on the tip of the bonnet today. Very tiny, but deep! Made a tear come to the eye :(

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Had the same on a TT at 300 miles!

Magic dent person got the dent out £20 cash ( I had to go to him). Then a quick touch up stick. I know it's there but its pretty good! Where are you based?:)

Cheers

RG

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no dent as such, but its taken away a bit of the paint. A touch up stick should do the job. I hope.

I'm based NW9

·
Registered
186 Posts
Dude my A5 got hit by some sort of rock on the driver side door and it sounded pretty darn loud inside the car I can tell you. Mind you I was doing about 60mph... At home I stepped out to see two nice 1-2 mm sized white patches in the paint. Deep cuts. Not too happy. Then again, scraping the front on a gas station curb didn't make me happy either. But luckily that was more under the car, so it's not really visible by just looking at the car.

Do remember it's a just a car, and not a painting in a museum or something that no one is allowed to touch. You're supported to use the car, and it getting dirty or getting scratches is part of the nature of a car that's supposed to safely take you from point A to point B... while saving you from damage or getting hurt yourself. What if you got that whatever that hit the car, hit you in the face. It would suck more than a chip in the paint...

I'm trying to stay positive here man :D

·
Registered
479 Posts
Clearbra FTW!

I didn't want to spend the money on my previous car for the installation, but after 40K miles my front end was a mess.... so clearbra was one of the 1st things I did when I got the Audi.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Clearbra FTW!

I didn't want to spend the money on my previous car for the installation, but after 40K miles my front end was a mess.... so clearbra was one of the 1st things I did when I got the Audi.
Could you post some picks of your car and clearbra. I have been searching for someone to do this for my car, after I had my stone chip fixed.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Pictures of a clearbra'd car is nearly impossible - it is, by its nature, "invisible". If someone can see your paint protection film, you've got a crappy product or a crappy installation of the product.

Look in your area for Clearbra, Ventureshield or XPEL. I would be willing to bet that on the manufacturer websites there is a "locate a local dealer" feature.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've got a product called Clearshield by Solar Gard. I'm very glad I have it installed on the front end of the "Fridge", 08 S5, Ibis White, as I just finished a 6000 mile road trip and the front end is fine. I'm sure if you Google any of the listed companies, they will have a dealer locator. I also believe that you can buy a pre-cut kit for your car that any capable window tinter can install. I would'nt try to install it myself as it is not a simple job to do correctly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Condolences to all as I'm in the same boat- washed and polished my car on Sunday and discovered large chip down to the metal on the leading edge of the bonnet. That on top of 2 windscreen chips, one of which was bad enough to need repairing- and all injuries sustained in the same week with less than 1000 miles on the clock. Sodding roads department "resurfaced" a stretch of road on my way to work and didn't bother sweeping up the chippings (or should I say rocks!) A collegue at work had the same thing happen to her new car the same week -large crack in windscreen in need of repair. Surely these clowns have some duty of care beyond putting up a few plastic temporary signs advising caution???:mad:
Anyway, anyone got any advice about repairing this sort of chip, or am I looking at a visit to a body shop?
P.S Know where you are coming from Swedie but I suspect the fact that we are all members of a forum dedicated to our cars says they are a lot more than mere a means from A to B - sometimes wish I had the same attitude to cars as my mother-in-law who drives " a blue hatchback" i.e. absolutely no interest in cars beyond the fact that they start and move when asked to....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Chip repair system?

Has anyone had any experience with this product/system
Dr. Color Chip
http://drcolorchip.com/

I saw it advertised in Autoweek and it looks interesting. It would certainly beat using plain old touch-up paint.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Clearbra FTW!

Yeah, I too ClearBra'd my car almost within the first month of having it. By standard the front is done as well as part of the mirror's. I also had that strip between the front windshield and the sunroof done too.

Could you post some picks of your car and clearbra. I have been searching for someone to do this for my car, after I had my stone chip fixed.
Here are pics of my car: Link

However, it's very difficult to see. But if you can spot the line running across the top of the front hood (bonnet), then you've got some really good eye's. In person, it is visible and I am often asked about the long scratch :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
479 Posts
However, it's very difficult to see. But if you can spot the line running across the top of the front hood (bonnet), then you've got some really good eye's. In person, it is visible and I am often asked about the long scratch :rolleyes:.
What I did... and what I would suggest... I had my installer do a full hood and fender coverage - so no line to explain away... :cool:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Anyway, anyone got any advice about repairing this sort of chip, or am I looking at a visit to a body shop?

Try ChipsAway they usually very good at fixing these sort of things. Nearly took a franchise myself years ago as I am a paint sprayer by trade and I thought tha tthe demos I had seen were very very good.

www.chipsaway.co.uk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the lead PinkPanther- have emailed them for a quote. See you have only 5 more days or so until the new wheels arrive -is the excitement making it difficult to sleep at night yet?:D:D:D

·
Registered
479 Posts
I've heard of some people having success with the Langka Paint Chip/Scratch Repair product (http://www.langka.com).

If you can't find Langka in your local store, the Mothers Paint Chip repair is the Langka product re-branded.

Good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts