Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Dan,
I cannot comment about a V6, never had one but purchased my RS in 2018. Absolutely no regrets but if you venture in do so with eyes wide open. I did 100% research and bought “a good one” but even then you have to prepare for unexpected heavy bills. Last year out of nowhere I was £1400 to replace my oil cooler alone. Tyres are circa £250 each. If considering the RS go for facelift after 2012 and make sure discs and pads are either new or have a lot of life left in them as to replace all round sets you back £2k. Ask if it’s been walnut blasted to remove carbon build up. I got an ecu print out that revealed if it had ever been mapped and how many launches it had and even if there were any outstanding error codes. Do I love my RS…you bet. My advice would be to try a test drive of V6 and V8. Research and others advice is fine and does prove beneficial but to drive both back to back gives you the ability to decide based on real experience. All the best.
PS: the torq vectoring rear diff is brilliant! It also has ability to split power 85% to rear and 15% to front.

·
Registered
Porsche 996 Carrera 4
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks for this - yes, I'm not unaware of the unwelcome experience of a car throwing you big bills despite the research prior :D The Porsche stung. Hard. But like the RS, we're dealing with cars that originally were circa £90k...... they require a certain level of looking after. It's not a bargain-basement motor :D

My local dealer despite getting virtually everything bar the brand wrong, has a v6 S5 (petrol) in, so I'm going to have a look at it tomorrow hopefully (now my LFT tests are "good")..... doubt I'll get a run in it unless they're quiet. The bigger challenge is the V8 as there isn't one in a 60-mile radius (tried both Autotrader and Pistonheads), so that might be a little harder.
Again, time is on my side though :)

Dan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Ray,

Wow - thankyou for taking the time to write such a detailed response. The comparison between the S & RS is really useful. I didn't mean to cause any offence when saying about the V8 sound (if anything it was a little "witty", perhaps misplaced :) ). V8s in general in the UK are a not a common occurrence tbh, so personally, my only experience of them was in a 360 F1, Gallardo and an AM V8 Vantage, where let's be honest here, the sound is kind of "king" :D
My own cars have been V6 twin-turbo (previous Audi), Flat 4 boxers (2 heavily modded Subarus), a raft of 2L turbos, and the flat 6 in the Porsche, so V8s (and potential ownership) are new venture. So it's really useful to hear your thoughts and experiences :) Even the mpg doesn't put me off - I'm only getting 22 (at best) in the Porsche :D

Thanks also for the comparison between the transmissions - again, my experience of them was various DSGs, the Lambo had e-gear (irrc), and the 360 was F1. The rest were manuals, so not really a fair comparison. I did drive the 911 with tiptronic, which as far as I can tell, is the same in Audi speak. The S-tronic is audi's DSG.

I am a nerd, so I'm going to be delving deeper into the whole concept of RSNav too ;) As an audio engineer and producer by trade, audio is a "thing" for me :D

I do get the whole - S vs RS thing: one is meant to be a development of where the other leaves off imho. I'm getting the general vibe that the S is easier to live with as a daily though (says the guy dailying a Porsche :D )

Thanks again - super useful :)

Dan
Dan no offense taken just wanted to allign objectively on perspective there. So kind of you to describe my reply as "detailed" the usual description is "OMG what a windbag" :D Also I get the witty thing too so we're good. That engine in the later years is essentially a racing engine modified by cutting 2 cylinders off the Lambo V10 used in other Audi products for a while. It rocks! I this RS just wants to go! I find myself rolling at much higher speeds than normal a lot. V8s were the rule here for decades. Somewhat sadly they will be going away.
I mention gas out of awareness of the petrol thing in UK, it just costs more. Much cheaper in the US even more so in Texas. Meanwhile in the RS it can still be an attention getter. I love long drives at very hi speeds (for the US) at 130 mph the mpg is in the low teens per gallon. At 170 the gas would come very close to the cost of the solitor I need to get out of the speeding tickets. ;)
Dan, props for the music thing. I'm a music head and love my long road trips primarily to listen to music collection. I like to pull out new albums to play from begining to end without interuption. The new RSNav allows for attaching a large USB SSD with a huge library of files. Also it has a very good equalizer and can play HI-Rez files. I use Flac in a mix of new downloads at hi sample/word length and CD ripped and converted to 192Hz/24 bit. You are talking to a guy who has purchased at least 10 different releases of Dark Side of the Moon.
The Audi system allows only MP3 and has contraints on how many total files you can store on a single SD card, I use 4 64GB SDs. My Hi Res library is more than 4 TB. The current RSNav is S3 winth Android 9. My RS has that with an 8.8" screen. My S has the RSNav S2 with a 10.25" screen. I would go with the larger screen. The 8.8" looks like it came with the car (only better) 10.5" looks like it belongs but stands out from the stock dash nacel. The 10.25 is more usable because of size and the way it mount a few inches closer to the driver. RSNav also sells a 12" screen but some say thats a little large and somehow looks out of place.
RSNav is coming out with its S4 which is better still but delayed untill 2022 some time. I bought the S3 knowing I could upgrade with an S4 mainboard at a discount from RSNav. They are also coming out with a main dash replacement that compares very well with the new Audi digital screens. Theses guys are a small boutique shop and are super responsive. Their gear works great and they go the extra mile to get things correct.
Just so you know the stock Audi and B&O will need to be upgraded if you want good sound. At the very least you will need to augment subwoofer. My S came with a coupe of blown speakers so I replaced all the mids/woofers and added a powered Sub . B&O uses paper cones all around and the cone surrounds desintegrated after a few years. If you get stock Audi you may consider a full amp replacement as well. There are tons of good articles on forums for addressing that. I will forward my links and info if you like when you settle on your car.
PS. During my reply I began to think about keeping the S for a daily driver. If so I would have 2 black on black pearl with black cabrio tops side by side in my driveway...a bit much? :oops:

·
Registered
Porsche 996 Carrera 4
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks again for the info about the audio :)

TBH, I gave up trying to chase the "best" audio in a car as there's too many other factors that get in the way. But that said, I like a nice sound system in place. (The Porsche has 2 x 8" subs, and Alpine components in the front & rear, all going through a Pioneer double-din.
It's not perfect, but it's better than the dreadful PCM system that Porsche put in.

Surprising that B&O are still using paper cones in the prestige car installs. So yes, they'll be changed out. The sub option is always fun - I've had virtually every size (the 2 x 12" subs in my Subaru, both fitted the stereotype and the music I was into - getting close to detatched retinas with the loudness :D Fun, but I'm older and technically more grown up now :D )

We went to look at the S5 V6 3.0T at the weekend, taking the bull by the horns, especially as the dealer didn't contact me back as I'd requested. Irritating, but not really an issue as it reinforces that I won't be buying from there - just using them for my research.
As for the car, yes, it was nice (got a big thumbs up from the Wife.... "if we're going to change the Porsche, that's the sort of thing I'd be happy with"...... yes, she still has a "thing" for the existing car, but she's "on-side" now :D )

Time to start looking a little more seriously. And it IS nearly the weekend - she said she wants to be taken out, so that's what we'll do! Granted: she thinks it's for a nie meal etc.... I'm thinking visiting dealerships :D

Dan

·
Registered
2015 S5 Coupe
325 Posts
Granted: she thinks it's for a nie meal etc.... I'm thinking visiting dealerships :D
I can't see a problem with that, I'm sure SWMBO will love nothing better than fast rides and the smell of burning rubber..... ;)

·
Registered
Porsche 996 Carrera 4
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I can't see a problem with that, I'm sure SWMBO will love nothing better than fast rides and the smell of burning rubber..... ;)
Hopefully after that disappointment, she’ll like the car too 😂😂😂😂

·
Registered
Porsche 996 Carrera 4
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
As it turns out, my local dealer has a V6, but apparently the art of communication is lost on them. My preferred dealer that I went close by at the weekend only has Sportback diesels.
But it gave me opportunity to do a little more prep to the Porsche for selling, so not bothered really - here's hoping I can sell it without too much hassle with tyre-kickers etc.

So options for funding - I've got cash. Don't want to go down the loan route etc (no need with the sale of the Porsche)

There appear to be several options though:

1. Pay cash - buy outright. Simple. Effective
2. Some Audi dealers are interested in putting a vehicle on a PCP option - so low initial deposit and then pay a monthly sum until the end of the agreed term. Then simply hand it back.
I've never done this before. It sounds too good to be true - I'm assuming that the dealer (a) makes a profit on the purchase of the car in the first place when they buy it in (b) makes a profit on the sale of said car, (ie their markup).... and (c) makes a profit on the monthly payments due to the %?
Is this a good way to buy or as my "spidey-sense" is tingling, a sure-fire method of giving the dealer more money?
I suppose with used car values at an all-time high in the UK right now, the only way is down from here. SO..... if you get a dealer to agree the hand-back price, you might be quite well off when it comes to returning the car (due to used prices settling down?)

Dunno.

Oh, this is a private purchase, not through a business or anything.

Answers on a postcard :D

Dan

·
Registered
205 Posts
Pay cash, its yours.
PCP
Purchase = a
Work out total payments inc deposit =b
Work out rough residual value =c

a-b =d
a-c = e
If d is less than c you see true cost and uopi have no deposit for next car
e is your deposit on cash purchase
look at a loan and see how the rateswork out.
You also have to look at mileage allowance on PCP and you may have a final settlement fee and that can depend on condition.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2015 S5 Coupe
325 Posts
I guess it depends on how you view car ownership. I like to own my car's outright and I live with the depreciation as I keep them untill it's no longer viable. My Land Cruiser is 17 years old, and the S5 will be 6 this year, motorbike is 14 this year.

PCP and lease deals give you a new car every three years with a fixed monthly payment that you understand, so for some this is perfect as they don't have to worry about long term issues etc. But car dealers (or the financiers) are making more money this way, it's not for free.

I'm a bit old school I suppose, if I can't afford it l, then I don't have it, goes for cars, TVs and any thing else. I just don't see the point in paying more interest.

·
Registered
Porsche 996 Carrera 4
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
My personal preference is to own outright. The only caution is that at the moment, prices are at an all-time high. Which may sting at the time of selling. Crystal ball time TBH.

And yes, giving the dealer/finance co. more money through interest is not an option I would like to pursue, but it's certainly interesting at the moment :)

Thanks for the replies :)

Dan

21 - 30 of 30 Posts