Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I know... I just hate that limitation. :mad: That's why I didn't give you a hard time about searching because I figured you might have unsuccessfully tried to search for 'oil'. :)

Here's my secret... I used the Advanced Search feature to 'Search Titles Only' using the keyword "change". Once the results were returned, I just looked through those threads with the word "oil" in the title. :)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I'm at 11,000 miles without oil change. Car is telling me around 18000 is the time for the oil change.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
first oil change for the 3.0TDI should be between 18000-19000 miles. Although some people do like to change it after the first few thousand miles.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I changed mine about 1,000 mile mark. Then the dealer at 5k and again at 10k. I will need the 15k in a few weeks. From there it will go longer.

·
Registered
256 Posts
When are you guys having your first oil change performed? I'm only at 2,000 miles but I personally think I need to get that factory oil out? Are you guys waiting till 5 or 10K?
I did my first one at 8000 km (5000 miles). I'll do another one at 16 000 km, then at 25 000, then I'll stick to Audi's schedule of every 15 000 km.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
One perspective that also borders on oil change:

Speaking as an ex audi mechanic and ASE Master: Beat the snot out of it.

... or it won't stop burning oil, ever. Pretty simple.

I know this topic is often disputed, and frankly I don't give a shit because every one of my vehicles doesn't burn a drop at 100k miles so there's believers and there aren't.

You have a narrow window of opportunity to seat the rings, about a thousand miles. The engine must experience the entire wide range of RPM during this process. Extended drives are an absolute no, a drive across the country at 3000 rpm is the worst.

Search the forums. You'll find lots of "My car has a low oil light on at 2500 miles and it took 3 quarts to top it off, I never went above 5000 rpm for the first 2000 miles, what the hell is wrong??" ... yep. he was an idiot. It will burn that much forever.

So. Beat the snot out of it. Luckily the audi tech who did the PDI of your car already did that for the first 7 miles, if he did it per all of the steps including "test vehicles performance in all conditions" ... a lot of stuff burns off the exhaust at that point. We were instructed specifically to not baby it at all.

Leave the oil that's in it for 1k miles, and then change it using synthetic. Change it again at 5k.

Just my opinion. You'll hear many, I'm sure. Few are qualified to make one.
http://forums.audiworld.com/a5/msgs/29455.phtml

·
Registered
15 Posts
Interesting links. One thing the manual mentions is not to drive at constant RPMs for long periods during the break-in period. I noticed that with 'Dynamic' on the drive select, the shifts are more aggressive and seem to vary the revs more in around-town driving (doesn't do much for fuel economy, but oh well). I figure once I have the car warmed up, I'll switch it into 'Dynamic' and drive it that way during the break-in. Hey, even if it has no effect, it's an excuse to have more fun...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts