Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well what can I say…………..the first few days of being an A5 owner has been an absolute joy:D.

I have the new 2.0TFSI 180 and as I’m possibly one of the first with a chance to give feedback on it, here is my 1st impressions.

I picked the car up with 14 miles on the clock. I then had to drive 200miles north back home so a good opportunity to put a few miles on the clock. So this quick review is based upon a car that’s being run in and I have taken it easy so far. I’ve now done 350 miles.

Engine Performance

The engine ticks over very quietly at around 1200RPM yet when you accelerate it has a nice tone to it. Any concerns I may have had about potential lack of power have now long gone. I’ve kept things steady and have not gone anywhere near putting down full throttle. The times I did put my foot down (gently and progressively) whilst leaving the car in a lower gear, she just absolutely took off. The power was available and delivered smoothly throughout.

Gear changes are easy with a short shift. The change indicator suggests changing up very early but this is a bit of a con that Audi have employed to get round the emissions tests. I feel the car struggles a bit by going into too high a gear too early………so I’m not so sure that I’ll be making the changes when prompted after the cars been run in. I’ll probably turn this function off in the MMI settings.

Fuel Economy

Bearing in mind the car is brand new, on my first trip, which included a lot of jams in traffic, I achieved 39.8MPG. This was over a 3.5hr period across roughly 200miles. Not bad considering the car is yet to bed in. I think mid 40’sMPG will be well achievable on decent motorway runs. Around the town I’m getting 35 – 36MPG, a decent return which I’m happy with.

Ride Quality

Although fairly hard / firm, it’s not a harsh ride. I do a lot of motorway driving and the setup certainly suits this. The car sits well on the road and looks great with the 19”Yspokes. It came with Dunlop SP Max tyres but it’s too early to give any views re their performance. Road noise is not too bad except on those horrible concrete sections on some motorways.

The Looks

After much deliberation I went for Phantom Black and I have to say I’m not disappointed. It has great depth and sets the chrome off on the exhaust tails (upgraded….a must!) and also around the window trims. Despite there being noticeably more A5’s on the road these days, it still turns heads when driving through the town.:cool:

Interior

The Milano leather is great…..infact it’s a very high quality and having debated upgrading to valcona leather……..I’m pleased I spent my money elsewhere on other toys. The sat nav plus is great and the MMI controls around the gear stick really finish off the car. It’s also really easy to use. If there are any of you who are concerned you are not getting the 3GMMI, I’m sure as soon as you get behind the wheel you will forget this. The MKII MMI really is great.

One of the best features / value for money is the hill assist. This is definately money well spent and has to be a no-brainer for less than £50. Also the interior light pack is good. The puddle lights have proven their worth already in the wet north east, and the subtle lighting of the cabin from the overhead LED's, lights up the MMI controls really nicely. Again for less than £100 IMO its money well spent.

I’m off down south tomorrow and the car will have another 400miles on it by Friday. Should be fully run in by the early part of next week after which I'll be able to start pushing it a bit to see how it performs. I’ll try and post an update / more considered view then.

Cheers
Glenn

·
Registered
254 Posts
Tick over at 1200rpm:eek:? surely not,that is high for a petrol engine.My oil burner is just over 600rpm:)

Enjoy.. Mal..

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Enjoy the new motor Glenn

Nice colour!!! Fuel economy sounds good, getting slightly more out of my diseasel (but using the 240bhp and 500nm torque!)

What are these chrome bits on the side windows? Any photos yet.

Agree 100% with Hill hold and Interior light pack. Valcona is nicer IMHO, softer and better wearing. Watch this space.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Nice review Glenn, so annoying the week I picked up my car up they announced the 2.0tfsi. Good to hear your happy with the motor, remap? :D

·
Registered
953 Posts
Nice one Glenn. I'm particularly glad you're happy with the power output and fuel economy as these were the two things I was most concerned with.

I kinda wish I had gone for different wheels than the stock Sport 'U-spoke' ones to be honest. However, I now reckon I shall get some 19" or 20" (probably 19") black alloys with the polished face instead as I think these look gorgeous on the car. Also, Ebay has them for £350 a set although I believe they aren't originals. :)

I'm glad I saved the money that I was going to spend on the wheels and put it inside instead on other toys that aren't as easy to retrofit.

Keep up the reviews too mate. This is the first real review of a 2.0 180 we have on here so i'm very interested in seeing your reports as time passes.

How far down south are you planning on going to?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Congratulations! I am sure you are going to find pleasure in every mile driven in it! :)
Regards
George

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

Another few miles put on the car today. I've just come back tonight after a 250mile trip from Bedfordshire (Highrisedrifter - this is about as far south as I go at the moment but this may change in the next few months). The car has now got 730miles on the clock and it feels better every trip.......its improving as it beds in.

I'm still keeping things steady (cruise on most of the way today @70MPH ish - with no jams!!!!!:D) and achieved 44.1MPG. There was a few times where I accelerated reatively hard and 60mph - 85mph was completely effortless.

Thanks for all the +ve comments on this thread. I'm even getting approached by strangers saying how well the car looks. I came out of the services today to find some bloke wandering around my car giving it a right good looking at. He then said to me when I opened up, its one of the nicest cars he has seen. He was driving an 06 plate A4 Sline 2lt TDI.

Just in case any of you have missed the thread i've attached the link to pics of my motor. They are quick snaps and i'll try and get some better ones up as soon as possible.

Cheers
G
:D:D:D:D:D

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/phantom-black-no-4980/index.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
I´m in heaven...

2 weeks with my A5. Engine is superb, and I don´t regret not going for the 211 HP. This one is certainly enough for me. The colour, Sahari silver, is somewhat unusual but a good choice, quite a few neighbours have comment on how nice it looks. Bluetooth is an excellent option and I installed my iPhone seamlessly. A great improvement for road safety.

2.0 TFSI / 180. Proline. Sahara Silver. Milano leather. Blootooth telephone. Xenon lights. Engine heater.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2 weeks with my A5. Engine is superb, and I don´t regret not going for the 211 HP. This one is certainly enough for me. The colour, Sahari silver, is somewhat unusual but a good choice, quite a few neighbours have comment on how nice it looks. Bluetooth is an excellent option and I installed my iPhone seamlessly. A great improvement for road safety.

QUOTE]

Vaerbrand,

On the bluetooth is the missed call / dialed numbers function working. Did you go for bluetooth low or high spec?

I'm using a blackberry 8100 and cant get it to fully sync with the missed calles etc. Phone book / directory works fine though

Glenn

·
Registered
14 Posts
hi guys

interesting review, thank you. I'm contemplating the A5 as a next ...

I had the 170 HP 1.8 for a testdrive couple of weeks back, with the multitronic gearbox. what a marvellous gearing system !

but the engine ... well ... i really disliked it (being sensitive to owners here :)) sounded very "strained" getting anywhere. I might be a little spoiled by my 180 HP 400 NM quattro Diesel, but that was definitely not a testdrive that convinced me of that little engine. No real acceleration, no kick in the but, sounds like a ... can't think of anything that sounds like that actually ...
The car itself is marvellous although I'd never go for a FWD, only quattro ;)

So again i got stuck with the 3.0 TDI quattro tiptronic, as no multitronic is available (yet?)

Trouble free miles with your very pretty new A5 !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts