Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I got my A5 (1.8T manual) 1.5 week ago. Needless to say that I am extremely happy and excited with the car. I have one question though. Sometimes when I am stopped and try to put the 1st gear it seems that it does not want to engage (i.e. it will not accept the first gear). Then I try again and it happens smoothly. Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
157 Posts
sound to me that it may need adjustment- perhaps the gear linkage is not accurate? it should not be a problem

·
Registered
714 Posts
I've seen reviews of early A5's which say the gear selection can be "notchy".

This was one of the things I was really looking out for when I first drove my 1.8 as the gearbox on my 2000 Celica VVTI used to be like that and it was a pain (oh the number of times I put the car in reverse at traffic lights instead of 1st and scared the people behind me!).

I'm pleased to report I have no such problems with the A5 so I would say take it in to the dealer for a look.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is your car cold when you try to engage 1st dimitris? On my old Discovery when cold i had to put in 3rd before i could get into 1st or reverse.

As tuff said, it might be worth it to have the dealer take a look.

My A5 gearbox is lovely, smooth in all gears, its a shame the DIS wont show your gear selection when at a standstill like it does when driving, it would be nice to have that peace of mind that it wasn't in reverse or 3rd.

·
Registered
714 Posts
its a shame the DIS wont show your gear selection when at a standstill like it does when driving
I think the display disappears when you press the clutch. I'll check when I go out shortly. Kind of understandable. It's a few years since I lost drove a manual but I'm still working on the basis that you need the clutch down if you're stationary and want to stay that way.

I finally stalled my car for the first time yesterday - how embarrassing, although it was whilst trying to reverse parallel park into a rather tight spot in Leeds city centre. :eek: Nobody saw so it doesn't really count :rolleyes:

How you finding that 1.8, Omaha? Are you similarly impressed or is it just so so for you? Are you getting the economy you'd hoped for? Mine seems to be picking up a little - I'm now finding that cruising at 70mph on the motorway gives me mid 40s mpg which is better than I'd been getting before. I've stopped worrying about it now and I'm having much more fun.

P.S. you can change your sig now :) What did you decide to do re the missing Bluetooth prep?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the reminder about the sig tuff:rolleyes:
Im hoping to get a call fron the dealer tomorrow, will see what he says.
The 1.8T is a cracking engine, im taking it easy though till i get a few k under the car, it is nice and rapid out of slow corners although i have noticed torque steer to the left.
I dont know about how frugal it is as im only back at work tomorrow but if i get 40-45 mpg ill be happy, there is a small fuel tank on it compaired to the disco i had, trip comp only said i had 650km when full. im doing 800km per week approx and onlly had to refil every sat morning with my old car. ah well.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I finally stalled my car for the first time yesterday - how embarrassing, although it was whilst trying to reverse parallel park into a rather tight spot in Leeds city centre. :eek: Nobody saw so it doesn't really count :rolleyes:

I stalled mine in the fast lane of the M62 somewhere near Leeds last week and loads of people were around at the time :eek: We were in slow moving, stop/start traffic in the evening rush hour and I got caught out by the anti-stall-revs-all-over-the-place-when-you-press-the-clutch thingy. Wasn't like I could just shoot off and leave the scene either :eek:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hi,
Sometimes when I am stopped and try to put the 1st gear it seems that it does not want to engage (i.e. it will not accept the first gear). Then I try again and it happens smoothly. Am I doing something wrong?

I have this sometimes. It usually slots in though if I just come off the brake and let the car move an inch or so. Its unusual in that it doesnt help to just clutch again or pick another gear first. After 3000 km it seems to be improving so Im not worried about it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It tends to happen more when the car is cold. When the engine is switched off I do not have this problem. I think I am going to take it to the dealer to have a look...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dimitris, hi! I was just ready to post a thread about the same problem in my new A5 1.8T...Many times in traffic it's very difficult to put the first gear...I've done 250 km so far and I didnt see any improvement...What did your dealer finally say about this???

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...just take your foot off the clutch slightly, depress the clutch again and it should slot straight in... Sometimes the gearbox needs a spin to engage... All cars have this issue with reverse and many with first... it's not a fault, just a behavior of a manual box. Some cars are worse than others... newer cars will ber more susceptible because they are very 'tight'.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have now done 10,000 km and the problem is still occuring. It only happens occasionally but when it does there is no way I can put the 1st gear unless I let the car roll forward a bit on neutral. There is definately a problem with it. The suggestion by Ianhp1 does not work in my case. My dealer has suggested that I should take it in. They will open the gear box and check the gearwheels (I may be using the incorrect terminology here). I am planning to do this sometime in November, so I will keep you posted.

Dimitris, hi! I was just ready to post a thread about the same problem in my new A5 1.8T...Many times in traffic it's very difficult to put the first gear...I've done 250 km so far and I didnt see any improvement...What did your dealer finally say about this???

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I had this problem on my previous A4 6MT, it has happened on my A5 aswell, but no way near as much. I just assumed it was me, stopping, putting it in neutral, then when lights change have to let the clutch up a little before i can get it in gear.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Dimitri, I have now lapsed around 5k km in my manual A5 and deal with the same issue since day 1 when the car is cold. However when I work the gears a bit after a few miles the gear shifts are smooth and engage effortlessly. The test drive I was given was like this as well, a friend's Alfa Brera I spinned a couple of times the same. Moreover, my father's 2001 manual Merc does the same when cold and it now has more than 150K on the clock. In MHO this is not a problem we are experiencing there and it mostly requires us to adapt - synchronise the clutch's pressing-depressing with the engagement of the gears. Personally, I would think twice before I let anybody meddle with the car's gearbox over such an issue unless it's very intense and leaves no other choice with you.
Well just my 2p here!

Regards
George

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I am going to try again what everybody has suggested. I too am reluctant of people meddling with my gearbox. I need to take my car for a service at 15K km so I will see how it goes until then. If the problem is intense I will have to ask the dealership to investigate further when I take it for a service. I will keep everybody posted on developments.
Thanks for all the tips.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts