Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone noticed a particularly noisy parking brake?

I was driving home tonight as usual and just as I was nearly home I stopped at a junction. I use the Hill Hold Assist all the time, so the brake came on automatically. As I pulled away, there was a slight mechanical squeak, which I heard only faintly and initially put it down to something on the radio. However when I then stopped outside my garage and applied the brake I heard it again, so turned the radio off and then applied and released the brake a few times - definitely there.

Now a little concerned I opened the door and then applied and released the brake - very, very noticeable squeak as the brake went off and on, which I haven't noticed before. I think I'm going to take it back into the dealer as there was also what I can only describe as a hot smell (a bit non-specific, I know) when the door was open.

Anyone else had any problem with the auto brake making a noticeable noise when being applied or released?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've noticed the handbrake makes a mechanical sound but not a squeak. As for the hot smell, this is perfectly normal on a new car as the exhaust system beds in and the oils burn off.

Simon

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Both of the things you describe are normal. The electronic brake is a little noisy. But that's normal across lots of manufacturers.

The burning smell will be as decribed by SBJ. It could also be the smell of the new brakes bedding in, which is also normal.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reassurance guys - think I might just pop into my dealer on the way home tomorrow as I drive right past them on my way to/from work, just to get their view of it. My only concern is that it's a loud enough noise from the brake going on/off to be heard inside the car with the radio on. It's also not something I've noticed until this evening, so definitely a change after 450 miles of driving.

I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The autobreak does have a mechanical clunking when used. It is in the owners manual that it does this.

I think someone explained it once before that the quattro is disengaged (or something like that) to stop it over heating.

·
Registered
231 Posts
to be rid of the mechanical jerk when pulling away from hold assist simply foot flat on clutch, very lightly blip the throttle and it switches off the hill hold meaning you pull away seamlessly.

hours of london traffic has taught me this

·
Registered
677 Posts
to be rid of the mechanical jerk when pulling away from hold assist simply foot flat on clutch, very lightly blip the throttle and it switches off the hill hold meaning you pull away seamlessly.

hours of london traffic has taught me this
Nice tip. Thanks.

Otherwise I hear similar stuff on my car. It does seem louder, or am I paying more attention. 800 miles on my car in the first week and I am still getting new car/ burning oil smells.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've noticed the handbrake makes a mechanical sound but not a squeak. As for the hot smell, this is perfectly normal on a new car as the exhaust system beds in and the oils burn off.

Simon
I agree with everything said here on my S5 - nothing to be concerned about. And it took app 1500 miles for the occasional hot smell to vanish.

I would imagine the squeak probably occurs due to humidity (water or mist due to condensation) on the brake discs and the car being on a slight uphill incline) - not a mechanical defect in any manner.... but only you can tell.... you might be the first with a fault A5/S5.... hahahaha (hope not)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with everything said here on my S5 - nothing to be concerned about. And it took app 1500 miles for the occasional hot smell to vanish.

I would imagine the squeak probably occurs due to humidity (water or mist due to condensation) on the brake discs and the car being on a slight uphill incline) - not a mechanical defect in any manner.... but only you can tell.... you might be the first with a fault A5/S5.... hahahaha (hope not)
Dropped into my dealer on the way home tonight, and thankfully they reassured me that it wasn't a problem. You do hear the brake coming on when driving (you can even just hear it over the radio, if that's not turned up too loud) I was just concerned because it was just a noise I wasn't used to and hadn't noticed in the first week of driving.

All well then, so guess this thread can pretty much die - just me being paranoid!:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
can anyone tell me if they have had a problem with the clutch in there A5, picked my car up on Thursday last week. on sunday i was parked in traffic crawling forward with the clutch and within 30seconds of using the clutch i had smoke coming from under the bonnet. seems i over headed the clutch.

didnt expect somehitng like this to happen on a brand new car, when holding the car on the clutch for a matter of a few seconds.

·
Registered
677 Posts
can anyone tell me if they have had a problem with the clutch in there A5, picked my car up on Thursday last week. on sunday i was parked in traffic crawling forward with the clutch and within 30seconds of using the clutch i had smoke coming from under the bonnet. seems i over headed the clutch.

didnt expect somehitng like this to happen on a brand new car, when holding the car on the clutch for a matter of a few seconds.
On a brand new car this is possible from the oils from production not being burned off slowly or washed down. Was the smell a clutch smell or oil smell? I have been hard on the clutch one short time period and started to smell clutch. If you have instant clutch smell there may be a problem. Otherwise it may just be oils burning off and you are now good to go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
the smell can only be described as a burning plastic (wire's) smell. not experianced a clutch burn out before so could not tell you if this is what is smells like. everything seems fine now but i was told to monitor it and if there was any more problems them would look at fixing it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
similar issue!!!!!!!!!1

dude i got my a5 in october and i had a similar issue man. i was stuck in traffic heading into new york from jersey and was stuck in traffic for three hours on the 95 towards the GWB(georgewashington bridge) so with three hour traffic just to travel about three miles you could imagine how slowly and constant i'd be inching around. i did have smoke come out and the car still reeks of burning clutch. to my own fault, i am overdue with an oilchange by like a week, but i also noticed that the car is not as responsive as it once was when i was changing gears and i floor it. i don't know if i'm more aware of the issue now because of the smoke issue, but i noticed that when i push down on the clutch pedal and quickly release my leg, the clutch pedal actually is stuck for like a second and a half before it pops up. definitely scheduling a check up for this week after this experience. was wondering if i could get any of you peoples thoughts other than the fact that i was careless?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.