Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
After 7 months of waiting, I finally got the keys to my S5 yesterday. I only drove it home and had to work all day today so no time to drive it :-(
It has a total of 28km's (17 miles) on the odo !

Anyhow, I believe it is the first S5 in Australia with Drive Select. I drove the demo just before I picked my car up to see if I could feel the difference between the two. The demo had 18's on, whilst I have 19's so that in itself is not an equal comparison. I played around with the settings going between comfort/auto/dynamic and could definitely feel the car tighten up when selecting dynamic and you could definitely feel the road bumps more. I also have the ability to change engine characteristics throught the MMI system. I didn't get into this but over the next week or so, I'll have a better play with it and report back if I think it's worth the extra $$.
Oh and pics to follow later in the week!

Steve

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys,
Seamo.. I only went with the dampers option, so did not get the advanced steering option, so I have the normal light/heavy steering.

A5inReston the sport differential (torque steering) will not be available until sometime in 2009. I have that in writing from Audi as I enquired about it just after placing this order, however that was 5 months ago so maybe things have changed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hi guys,
Actually, playing with the MMI a bit more today I noticed it indeed, does have settings for suspension, steering and engine. Each one of those then has the option of Comfort, Auto and Dynamic. I will read up more on each but have noticed that, for example, if I have the suspension set to 'comfort' on the MMI, I can still change it to 'dynamic' using the buttons on the dash and yet, the MMI setting stays the same, so maybe they are different in their functions.

A5inReston... I don't think the suspension is magnetic ride (magnetic particles in fluid) but some form of hydraulic dampening is used. I drove it today and can definitely feel a slight stiffening with more sensitivity to bumps etc. when I go to Dynamic on the dash. I'll read up on what the steering/engine parameters do exactly. Been busy with work the last few days so no time to read the manual...
Cheers,

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Drive Select does NOT detune engine in any way that I know of. I now have 400km on my car and yesterday, I took the car through some bumpy roads and the changing ride is very noticeable between the various settings. It's more the rebound than anything else that I notice beween comfort/auto/dynamic. I have read through the manual but there is nothing on Drive Select.

I'm still trying to work out what the MMI settings do between suspension/engine/steering. Does anyone have any info on these? Are they on everyone's MMI setup or or is it a feature of Drive Select?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys,
I only have about 600 miles on the 'Drive Select' equipped S5 now.. been travelling a lot for work overseas, hence the mileage is low for 2 months ownership.

So far, there is definitely a marked difference between Comfort and Dynamic Modes. Auto on the other hand, is a bit hard to work out what it's actually doing (it's supposed to automatically adjust to road conditions).

What I don't like about the system is that everytime you start the car, it resets itself back to the Auto mode. I still can't get any extra info out of Audi Australia on exactly how the system works. I was told by a sales guy that apparently in Dynamic mode it lowers the car by 15mm (3/5 inch). I've also worked out that the different modes not only affect the suspension, but also steering and engine characteristics. However, the MMI system lets you over-ride each one of these individual settings for your own preference (27 modes), ie. if I had the button in Dynamic mode, then everything is in Dynamic (sports) mode, however I can change the steering for example, to Comfort.

To be honest, I can't feel that much of a difference in the various steering modes so far.. but I have not been driving through many twisty roads, mainly freeways so far.

I'll start playing around with the settings a bit more and post any results worth writing about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.