Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished painting my brake calipers and saw what I beleieved was a spec of tar on the outer edge of the bolt hole on my 19" 'y' spoke alloys so I decised to 'pick' it off But no it wasn't tar but the black undercoat beneath the silver finish so I scraped it some more with my thumb nail and I coulldn't (can't) believe how easy the silver paint or whatever it is just flaked off.

I'm returning it to the dealers this morning but anyone else havethis problem??

·
Registered
151 Posts
Do you have any photos of the calipers now they've been painted..? Bad luck with the wheels - definately a warranty claim argument.

·
Registered
29 Posts
audi alloy wheels

i had to return one of my 20 inch rs-4 type wheels after only one week with flaking laquer around the bolt holes.
The dealer gave me one of the 20 inch wheels off the demo but i notice it has stone chip damage in a few places.

NOT IMPRESSED WITH THE WHEEL QUALITY FROM AUDI OF LATE, THEY WILL HAVE TO GIVE ME A NEW SET EVERY MONTH IF THE DAMAGE TO THE WHEELS CONTINUES, THE PAINT/LAQUER IS VERY VERY SOFT.

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Getting a new one but not before he tried to blame me or whoever I had remove the wheel, had to tell him I would expect a mark on the rim if I hit it but not the paint flaking,,,,,,,,, not impressed
Pic of caliper to follow

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
do you think i can claim my curbing of my Y's as flaking?? :rolleyes:

i know guys curbing alloys whats that all about, it wasnt my fault the curbs move and hit me :D

·
Registered
714 Posts
Don't worry Jen, the edges of the alloys on my car now look like 10p pieces given the number of times I've kerbed my car.

Maybe it's just me getting in touch with my girly side ;)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Don't worry Jen, the edges of the alloys on my car now look like 10p pieces given the number of times I've kerbed my car.

Maybe it's just me getting in touch with my girly side ;)
welcome to our world TLU xx:p

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I too want to paint my calipers.

I am aware that there are 2 ways to do this:

1) Leave the calipers in place and paint over them (similar to Osaka's brother)
or
2) Completely take the calipers off the brake pad, clean them thoroughly, paint them and then put them back on

Now, I was told that the best way to do this is going for the second choice.
If you were to go with choice number 1, since the calipers dissipate a lot of heat, the paint is without doubt going to peel off.

What do you guys think?
Has anyone gone with number 1 and regretted it because of paint peeling or is that just a bunch of BS? I would think it would be true!

It just seems like such a hassle to go with number 2.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I painted mine in place without taking anything apart. Did this on my previous TT and the paint didn't peel of at all.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Youre supposed to use caliper paint, which is heat resistant and terefore shouldnt peel off whether you do option 1 or 2.
What would be a good colour to paint them on a phantom black A5 with 19" y's

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I painted mine in place without taking anything apart. Did this on my previous TT and the paint didn't peel of at all.
Did you use caliper paint?

Speary, I have the same options on my A5 and I am still trying to decide whether to paint my calipers either a shiny matt black or very light red!

I most probably will be going with the Matt black. I think those are the best options. Anything else would just stand out too much and probably wouldn't look as good.

What do you think?

·
Registered
871 Posts
I think a strong primary colour would look good, blue, red or yellow.
I think the matt black would probably get lost and not be very visable

·
Registered
41 Posts
in reference to the wheels...

my wheels are 1 week old and suck...y-spoke and it looks like every pebble that hits the wheel dents them and will flake paint.

Caliper paint has held up great for me in the past.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Specific to the 19" Y's...I had the same problem. I showed them to my Service Advisor who then took some photos of each rim, called the Service Manager over to take a look. They both said "Yep." They ordered 4 new rims that day and had them installed about a week later. Thus far no issues.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I wanted the 19" Y alloys on my ordered S-Line Cab (not available though as an option), but I have changed my mind now after reading this thread! :no:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Specific to the 19" Y's...I had the same problem. I showed them to my Service Advisor who then took some photos of each rim, called the Service Manager over to take a look. They both said "Yep." They ordered 4 new rims that day and had them installed about a week later. Thus far no issues.
So, is this a problem with all Y spokes or is the dealer saying this was due to a bad batch of wheels?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
So, is this a problem with all Y spokes or is the dealer saying this was due to a bad batch of wheels?
I think that this problem has been highlighted on here before. It would appear that it was a bad batch of wheels. Audi seem to have acknowledged the issue and have replaced the offending wheels in most cases.:)

·
Registered
679 Posts
yeah, I had three wheels replaced as defective for flaking paint. Had to go to AoA as my dealer didnt want to at first... but AoA called the dealer and I had new wheels 2 weeks later.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.