Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally put in my order this Monday :D :D :D ! I was searching around the whole of continental Europe to see where I would get the best price and surprisingly it turned out to be Estonia!

I went for the A5 3.0 TDI S-line, Phantom Black (this took me the longest to decide upon hehe) , all black interior with Piano Black inlays (hey when I have to go black I go black all the way :D ), sat-nav, B&O sound system, I-pod connection, advanced key, lighting package, sun roof.

About the wheels, I decided to take 19” S-line alloys (the ones that look a bit like BBS) and in addition I ordered the original 19” Y spoke alloys (I like these the most) that come with the standard A5 together with winter tires – I managed to negotiate a price of 2000 Euro for that, not bad price I think. If you guys think I can get these cheaper somewhere else please let me know :) .

I did not choose the S-line 20” as I think they look a little too big on the car (especially if you are not planning to considerably lower the car) and also they will give me hell on our crap roads here.

I was supposed to get a build date this week but no information yet. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Now the never ending wait starts. I think this is the hardest part.

BTW, Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Congrats, can I be so nosey and ask the final price or if you priced the car in the UK the savings you made.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Well done! I'm surprised you didn't order the garnet red with a white stripe!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Guys, Just found this site last night - some really great info sharing here :).
I put in an order a couple of weeks ago with an Audi garage in Belfast for an A5, and would appreciate some thoughts on a couple of things:
1) Wheels - the UK spec 18" "V" design wheels for the 3.0TDI Sport model don't look great, yet I don't want the low profile "Y" spoke 19" versions. Anyone know of any other more aesthetically pleasing options? - Given that my car won't be ready until probably August, is it likely that Audi will come up with more wheel options between now and then?
2) I've ordered the Auto box - described to me as Tiptronic (hence the big delay in the car being ready), though the order had to be written down as that option wasn't on the IT system yet. I've seen lots of chat around Tiptronic vs S-tronic, but not having owned or been near to an Audi before I really want to know whether I've made a terrible mistake and should back away quick - is this auto box soggy and likely to dampen enjoyment seriously? (Given that I've accepted a manual isn't right for the level of traffic jam driving I end up doing).
Excited from the test drives I've had, but really appreciate any insights while I still have plenty of time to adjust the spec etc.
A5 3.0 TDI Sport/Phantom Black/Black Interior/Automatic/Electric Heated Front seats/Cruise Control/Front Parking sensor/Interior Lighting

·
Registered
677 Posts
ArranR,
Welcome.
Wheels are a personal choice on what does/ does not look good. If you want different wheels from Audi I doubt there will be many if any new choices. The S5 uses new hubs and nothing else fits from past Audi's.
The Tiptronics are a CVT type automatic transmission. They really shine in heavy traffic. However you will loose some drive feel vs. the manual transmission. However those that have them seem to really like them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Welcome, the wait will be worthwhile. ;)

·
Registered
256 Posts
ArranR,

The Tiptronics are a CVT type automatic transmission. They really shine in heavy traffic. However you will loose some drive feel vs. the manual transmission. However those that have them seem to really like them.
Tiptronic and CVT are different. Audi's term for its CVT transmission is "multitronic." Tiptronic is an improved (by Porsche) version of an automatic transmission. Some details are available at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiptronic
Tiptronics shift quicker, with less torque loss, than a traditional automatic, but as you say, still not the same as a manual.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts