Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, if anyone might recall, I started on a strange journey when a chap hit my rear end. I decided to make my S-Line into a quad tipped free flowing baby. AWE Tuning put on their S5 exhaust unit on the A5 and you can see & hear it on their web site. It was very loud, impressive and aggressive but it also droaned and boomed in the 2K to 3K RMP range and made a "Fartlike" sound when down-shifting, apparently due to the ECU. It was generally too much for my tastes and for a refined high-end beauty like the A5 but it looked great and got lots of attention. (Me thinks too much from the police potentially as I also have window tint)

My first try to fix this was to replace the AWE muffler with the stock Audi resonator. It did help a bit with the droaning and also seemed still as powerful and quick (I estimate mid 5 sec 0-60) but still not what I wanted to live with after many weeks of daily driving.

Yesterday I pulled the trigger and followed my own advice that I had suggested to others on this forum to try: I put the stock mufflers back on but unplugged the extra holes (like on the S5) and had the AWE tips installed for the final tasty quad touch.

This is the perfect solution and I am very happy with the results. It is about 1/3 of the way to deleting the mufflers versus stock set-up. Louder than stock and more free flowing yet still refined enough to fit the A5 character. And is still looks awesome! Wish I had done this from the beginning but I am finally where I wanted to be with the A5:thumbsup:.
Here is the muffler before the tips added.

Original post
http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/getting-awe-tuning-8658/index.html

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
just so i'm clear, you tried to install the awe quad exhaust meant for an S5 onto an A5, correct? And this is the cause of the drone? Cos i was under the impression that the awe exhaust was the one aftermarket exhaust that didn't have drone?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will take pictures and try to get a sound clip but got no video cam

My camera does video but has a crapy mic so it may sound bad. Working on it.

Jotsy: Yes, the droaning was not acceptable to me after a few weeks. You can read the back and forth between AWE and me on this with the link below. Bottom line: AWE just took the S5 and it did fit the A5 fine but they were not willing to do any engineering to make it a great product.

http://forums.quattroworld.com/a5/msgs/751.phtml

I guess I will be selling the AWE free flowing muffler so if anyone is interested, IM me. It should work well since it is clear that the resonator is not the key to the droan but the stock mufflers. So replace the resonator with this hi-flow and power should increase.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Well, if anyone might recall, I started on a strange journey when a chap hit my rear end. I decided to make my S-Line into a quad tipped free flowing baby. AWE Tuning put on their S5 exhaust unit on the A5 and you can see & hear it on their web site. It was very loud, impressive and aggressive but it also droaned and boomed in the 2K to 3K RMP range and made a "Fartlike" sound when down-shifting, apparently due to the ECU. It was generally too much for my tastes and for a refined high-end beauty like the A5 but it looked great and got lots of attention. (Me thinks too much from the police potentially as I also have window tint)

My first try to fix this was to replace the AWE muffler with the stock Audi resonator. It did help a bit with the droaning and also seemed still as powerful and quick (I estimate mid 5 sec 0-60) but still not what I wanted to live with after many weeks of daily driving.

Yesterday I pulled the trigger and followed my own advice that I had suggested to others on this forum to try: I put the stock mufflers back on but unplugged the extra holes (like on the S5) and had the AWE tips installed for the final tasty quad touch.

This is the perfect solution and I am very happy with the results. It is about 1/3 of the way to deleting the mufflers versus stock set-up. Louder than stock and more free flowing yet still refined enough to fit the A5 character. And is still looks awesome! Wish I had done this from the beginning but I am finally where I wanted to be with the A5:thumbsup:.
Here is the muffler before the tips added.

Original post
http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/getting-awe-tuning-8658/index.html
We definitely still remember the AWE journey you had. How can we forget?
Your A5 was their test car !!

So let me get this straight, you ended up welding in your stock OEM mufflers with quad tips. Did you take off the muffler in the middle section?

Are you still using the stock downpipe as well as the stock CAT?

The result is that you are very happy with the results and your A5 is finally done in terms of exhaust mod?
Thats great news for you .... Is there still drone in the car?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No droan in the A5 that is noticable any longer

Wah: My final setup is stock downpipes, stock mini resonators after the cats, big stock resonator and stock mufflers now with quad tips. See photos now. It is now 30% louder than stock but honestly I kinda miss the louder roar. I do not miss the droan and boom however! And my wife is very happy with me again.

I do not want to spend any more money on this project but if i did, I would want to now put back the AWE muffler where the Audi resonator is to pick up more airflow and perhaps play with downpipes or cats. I think the bad droan noises are contained mainly by the mufflers and so the area to focus on to gain more performance cleanly is between the quad tipped mufflers and the engine.

By the way, I did get a good look inside the cut mufflers and here is what is inside: The outer stock exhaust line is just a single pipe that bends inward. The new cut opening (inner tip) has a two chamber complex looking space. This tells me that the S5 exhaust short circuits the gas flow yet still does a good job with the harsh noises. Good design Audi.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,353 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi Guys,

Great thred, would i be able to get a similer sound by doing the same to my 2.0T? versus current sound? ofcourse their is a big difference in engine versus 3liter but proportionately will sound change by doing the same mod???

Anyone done this on 2.0T model???

Another question any way of getting the sound difference without changing to quads? I kinda like the S-Line valance more than the S5 to be honest??? I deally dont want to change the back boxes....

·
Registered
152 Posts
I did also the same job as Jerry a few months ago on my 3.0TDI and am very happy with it as well! I left the original tips on and opened the inner "holes" and welded a pair of original 3-0tdi tips resulting in a quad system:) Pics are available in pictures section

·
Registered
176 Posts
I did also the same job as Jerry a few months ago on my 3.0TDI and am very happy with it as well! I left the original tips on and opened the inner "holes" and welded a pair of original 3-0tdi tips resulting in a quad system:) Pics are available in pictures section
I am planning to do same to my car.. :) Can you tell me how did that affect on the sound of exhaust?? Do you hear more diesel rumble or did you get sport, louder sound??

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Pedja,

did you see the vid Jerry posted?!

It is pretty clear the differences between OEM and a muffler delete. :D:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Pedja,

did you see the vid Jerry posted?!

It is pretty clear the differences between OEM and a muffler delete. :D:
On that video I can see difference for 3.2 which has petrol engine...
But I want to know what will I get on diesel engine, will my car sound more like a truck or will it get just louder, sport sound?! Is there any drone??

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
On that video I can see difference for 3.2 which has petrol engine...
But I want to know what will I get on diesel engine, will my car sound more like a truck or will it get just louder, sport sound?! Is there any drone??
:wall: my bad, I didn't realize you had the 3.0 TDi.

The only way to know for sure is to try it out since I don't believe any member has done this on their Diesel.
It isn't an expensive mod and you could easily switch back to OEM if you didn't like the results.

If I were to guess, I would say you would get a deeper, more throatier tone. Nothing that would resemble a truck, with little to no drone!
But I've never driven a diesel so don't take my word for it!:yikes:

PM Jerry and see what he has to say...

Good luck

1 - 20 of 83 Posts