Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was just looking for a bit of help as I am not the greatest car guru.

I have recently purchased an Audi a5 2009 2.0 TFSI 180 and my parents are starting to think it was a bad purchase at my young unexperienced age of 19 so I was hoping someone could lend a brain??

61500 Miles - Good tyres with good tread - Oil just changed

Purchased 1 week ago. Had been sitting prior to me picking it up for about a month. The previous owner had driven it constantly for 15 months before it was sat. It was sat as he used a different car.

• When changing gears at low speeds car judders and makes a very loud metal clunking noise.
  • When putting my foot down on the accelerator and taking it off it also makes a loud metal clunking noise.
  • When these both happen it feels like you're running something over.
  • If you change gear very gently and at the exact correct revs it won't make the noise.
  • Left front wheel(well I think its the left front wheel) makes small warping noise, not very loud but noticeable with music on.
  • When I put my foot down on the accelerator quite hard the wheels get sort of stuck before then going again, feels like a bit of wheel spin but makes loud clunk noise, this happens if you put your foot down at any speed.
  • My oil seems to be going down quicker than expected but I haven't been able to monitor it that much as only had the car for 5 days.

If you drive the car gently there are a lot fewer issues and you would even be lead to believe there weren't any issues.

Any help will mean the world to me!!

Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,277 Posts
Charlie mate.Listen.

Anyone who knows little about cars should always get professional help cos its the biggest purchase we make apart from a house. So for the house you have a pro make a search and a survey before you buy, the AA and RAC will do the same for a car. The main question for you is did you purchase the A5 privately or from a car dealer??

I sincerely hope that you purchased from a dealer cos if you did TAKE THE CAR BACK TODAY AND DEMAND YOUR MONEY BACK COS THE CAR IS NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

If instead you bought it privately I would go to a good solicitor and get some advice.

The problems that you mention sound to me VERY severe indeed. The 2.0 FSI cars of that era had a major manufacturing fault whereby the engines consumed oil unless reworked by the VAG dealers and many/most were eventually done under factory warranty. If your car has not been done then it could cost you thousands for a new engine. Read on here, there are hundreds of cars affected. It also sounds like you have a gearbox and drivetrain problem which could be connected.

Good luck!! Simon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Charlie mate.Listen.
Anyone who knows little about cars should always get professional help cos its the biggest purchase we make apart from a house. So for the house you have a pro make a search and a survey before you buy, the AA and RAC will do the same for a car. The main question for you is did you purchase the A5 privately or from a car dealer??
I hope that you purchased from a dealer cos if you did TAKE THE CAR BACK TODAY AND DEMAND YOUR MONEY BACK COS THE CAR IS NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.
If instead you bought it privately I would go to a good solicitor and get some advice.

The problems that you mention sound to me VERY severe indeed. The 2.0 FSI cars of that era had a major manufacturing fault whereby the engines consumed oil unless reworked by the VAG dealers and many/most were eventually done under factory warranty. If your car has not been done then it could cost you thousands for a new engine. Read on here, there are hundreds of cars affected.

Good luck!!
Hi Simon,

Thank you very much for the reply, that was very quick.

Unfortunately, I did purchase the car privately, I had seen a forum about the oil issue and my mind was adventuring to that point.

I have not known anyone to have used RAC or AA to check a car before purchase so I didn't even realise it was a thing but from now on I will be certainly doing so.

I have seen people on the thread who have had there Audis engines rebuilt by audi if they meet certain criteria which I think I may but that was a US criteria so unsure about UK.

Obviously, if I was to go legal do I have any chance and would it be costing me a fortune, the guy is saying there was no issues he had noticed when he had it so have come to realise EXPERIENCE IS KEY and I have been scammed.

I appreciate the help, I really do.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Welcome to the 2009 Audi A5 club :) Also recently purchased same car myself.

IMO you should only buy 2008 to 2011 TFSI if the seller can provide invoice from Audi the piston rings issue been fixed. I have learned over the years never believe a word that comes out the sellers mouth.
I was reading another member purchased similar car and Audi may repair the engine if owner is willing to pay 10% of the repair cost. You could approach Audi and try your luck. I recall the 10% was estimated £600/£700

My personal opinion is you should not purchase a 10+ year old performance car unless you confident enough to diagnose and carry out most of the repairs DIY.

A car this old will have so many age related maintenance due now and if you take to garage will empty your pockets.
My 2009 A5 has leaking front shocks and 4 upper control arms cracked. I would think most 2009 A5 suspension is past their prime and needs refresh.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The noise could be a wheel bearing - there's no play in them even when gone and are about £250 to replace.
It could be a drive shaft CV joint, in which case your looking at about £500 each side.

I say this from personal experience - my nearside bearing went at 60ishK, my CV joint at 100k (along with the main propshaft Central bearing)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.