Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had problems with my wifes S5 at the weekend. The power sttering lost any assistance and so was extremely difficult to park. Called our Audi roadside on Monday, hopeing it'd be a quick fix, only to be told theres nothing they can do, so they sent it staight to the local dealer. Dealer couldn't look at it until tuesday morning, when they reported back that one of the main ECU's had failed and that the part is on back order and may take upto 2 weeks.

Audi are now trying to source a suitable replacement car for us. we've had a Citroen Picasso for the last 2 days supplied by Audi roadside, but it needs to go back tonight so Audi need to get us a replacement asap.

My wifes gutted to be without her car so we hope Audi can expedite the part. in the meantime I hope Audi give us something interesting as a replacement. They are aware that I have an RS4 so hopefully a valued customers they will pull out the stops. We'll soon see.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Thats unlucky Nipper, can well understand why your wife would be upset. I can't believe Audi think its acceptable to put one of their customers into a Citroen..:eek: And I don't accept the back order excuse, if the cars are in production then the parts are sat around somewhere, it just needs Audi to pull their finger out.. Good luck though hope it gets sorted soon.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
No comment, what with this being an International site and all that......;) :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still no replacement car from Audi, so it's the Picasso for another day. In fairness thought it's Audi Roadside (RAC) that provided the Picasso and not the dealer.

If a suitable replacement isn't found tommorrow, then I'm going to insist on a lesser Audi plus a suitable £'s compensation.

·
Registered
231 Posts
that is such bad customer service and i am shocked.

All mercedes come with Mobilo life. which means if the car EVER breaks down and is serviced/repaired by an MB dealer you get a decent car immediately.

when my SLK's xenons were pointing too low (danger to drive in the dark i said ,lol), Mercedes picked up my car and dropped off a brand new e-class.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mercedes!! my wife took delivery of a new B200 Turbo on its lauch date. got a puncture within a week and the dealer said the couldnt get a new tyre for two weeks. our local man got one to his workshop the next day and was cheaper than the dealer.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've known my dealer for the last 9 years and have bought several cars from him. They usually don't have exciting loaners around, b ut every now and then they do. last service I had, they came and picked my car up, and lent me S8 ( V10) for the day, and since I had fun , they called me when they had a demo R8 for a spin.

They usually lend me an A4 or A6 - which is fine, but when the loaners are all out (they probably have 3 or 4 max), they'll usually lend out a cheap car on their used car lot.... I understand them doing their best to satisfy customers, but when you ain't got the cars, you can't pull a new car off the lot and say use this for a few days.......

The main thing is getting their understanding and commitment to doing their best. If they understand you're penalized, and that they can't satisfy you despite their best efforts, they should be able to come up with some compensation down the line. For example, due to delay on my S5, they had me out for the Audi Driving experience in Paris a few months back ( S3,RS4, S6,S8, Q7)........

I don't know that this is specifically brand or manufacturer related, or rather simply dealership customer service related - i believe more in the latter....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finnally heard from both the dealer and Audi UK. They haven't been able to source an S5 or a high spec A5 so they are giving us an RS4. It should be with us by noon tommorrow. Not sure if it's a saloon or avant, but don't really care. I suppose the saloon would be nice as I've got the avant.

Any way, we'll be glad to see the back of the Picasso.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Thats more like it....Been much less hassle if they'd just flown the parts over and fixed yours though..

·
Registered
314 Posts
Off topic, but can you compare the RS4 to the S5?

·
Registered
677 Posts
After 3 weeks off the road, it's now all resolved and I've just been to pick it up from the dealers.
Any specifics on what failed or more importantly why?
With electronics it could have been a connector that broke or it could be the circuit board shorted out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Greeney, The S5 and RS4 are both great cars, but totally different in character, (I've an RS4 Avant and my wife has an S5). Essentially the S5 is a more of a GT coupe, it's v quick and extremely comfortable. Generally a nice place to be. It's only slightly slower than the RS but it's much less dramatic. Ultimately the RS4 is better dynamically, but the S5 is better asthetically, and is far more technically advanced with key less entry, rear cameras etc.If you don't need 4 door practicality and don't drive on the edge the S5 is a superb choice. However, given the choice for a blast down the lanes, the RS4 would get the nod everytime.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No specifics on exactly what failed other than it being a fault on one of the main control units. I think it'd just a one off blip, or teething fault. it's just fraustrating having to wait so long for the part, but aleast Audi UK provided a suitable alternative loan car (RS4 saloon), so it didn't seem that bad. very glad to have it back now, though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It was the j519 control unit which controls the servotronic regulation for the steering reaction in relation to road speed.I had to make the decission on the diagnosis as tech support werent up to speed and also arrange the special order of the control unit.Hope you were happy with the service you recived and the free full valet.As for the seat memory issue .The settings described below can be saved by
pressing the SET button followed by either of the
memory location buttons. The SET function remains
enabled until the red function indicator LED in the
button goes out.
An acoustic signal is given as feedback after a setting
is saved successfully. Again, the prerequisite
for this is that the memory block ON/OFF switch is at
"ON".
Saving settings and adjusting the seats using the programming buttons
If the driver door is open and at "terminal 15 OFF",
the mirrors and the driver's seat can be
adjusted to the pre-configured positions by pressing
either of the Save buttons once. For this purpose,
the driver's door must not already have been
open for longer than 10 minutes.
If the driver door is closed and at "terminal 15 ON",
the Save button must be kept pressed down until
the adjustment is complete. The adjustment can be
interrupted by releasing the Save button.
Saved settings can be retrieved as follows:
To save the current mirror and driver seat settings
to a remote control key,
follow this procedure:
– The settings are saved after closing the driver's
door and locking the vehicle with the remote
control key.
For this purpose, however, the seat back must
not be unlocked.
– After unlocking the vehicle with the remote control
key and opening the driver's door, the mirror,
the driver's seat and the steering column are
adjusted to the positions which have been saved
to the remote control key. The front passenger
seat does not have this function.
However, the function described above will only be
executed properly if two basic requirements are
met:
– "Remote Control Key" must be set to "ON" on the
MMI Car Menu under "Systems", "Seat Settings",
"Driver Seat".
– The memory block ON/OFF switch must be at
"mory issue.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Good to have a resident tech on the forum!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, John. and yes the full valet was appreciated. I'll monitor the issue with the seats, and also try using the key to lock the car rather than the keyless button, so that the correct settings are stored.

Good to see you've found the forum!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.