Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have searched the forum for threads relating to the window tints but couldn't seem to find a definitive answer to the following question:
Does the A5 come with the windows already tinted from the factory?
We won't be going for anything darker than the legal (70%VLT) and don't really like the 2-tone of darker tints at rear anyway.
Sorry if I have duplicated info that was already on the forum but i did look and couldn't find anything!!

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Hi JJ... you are correct that this hasn't been discussed in any great depth (that I recall). I do remember long long ago that someone posted a photo of their car in a parking lot in this context and I pointed out that you could look through the windows from one side to the other and see that Audi clearly tinted the windows in some minimal fashion. It's nothing all that appreciable, so if you are thinking 70%, you'll certainly not get anything close from the factory.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Actually, 70% VLT is close to the factory standard for nearly all cars. That's a very light tint, the kind that might go unnoticed. Actually, it goes unnoticed because that's what you're used to in automotive glass. What would really be noticable would be 100% VLT. It would be quite odd to sit in a car with no darkening at all. You've just never seen it.

Remember that in tint-world, lower numbers are darker. 5% is the darkest of limo tint, and 35% is a common legal limit in many US states. Again, most cares are already near 70% from the factory.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
The A5 does come with a subtle GREEN tint. It would be worth getting someone at the tinting place to stick a light-meter on it to ensure you get the correct end result.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Actually, 70% VLT is close to the factory standard for nearly all cars. That's a very light tint, the kind that might go unnoticed. Actually, it goes unnoticed because that's what you're used to in automotive glass. What would really be noticable would be 100% VLT. It would be quite odd to sit in a car with no darkening at all. You've just never seen it.

Remember that in tint-world, lower numbers are darker. 5% is the darkest of limo tint, and 35% is a common legal limit in many US states. Again, most cares are already near 70% from the factory.

Hmm..yeah, I knew it meant that 70% of the available light makes it through, but I had no idea that factory was anything close to that (figured it would be 97% or so!). Interesting that there's that much tint already.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The A5 windows are a little on the light side. Probably more like 80. But even so, I'm surprised that anywhere would have a 70% VLT limit...that's not much at all.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I had my factory tint measured prior to getting my tint job done and it measured at exactly 78%....

Most tint installers have an elecronic tool that they can quickly slide on your glass and measure for you...

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
i reckon my old A4 sline factory tint was less than 70% as it was quite dark

·
Registered
37 Posts
The A5 windows are a little on the light side. Probably more like 80. But even so, I'm surprised that anywhere would have a 70% VLT limit...that's not much at all.
Michigan is so lame, any film whatsoever on the window is considered tint, which is illegal below the top 4" on the front windows, though you can put opaque tint on the rear windows, so long as it isn't mirror reflective.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Michigan is so lame, any film whatsoever on the window is considered tint, which is illegal below the top 4" on the front windows, though you can put opaque tint on the rear windows, so long as it isn't mirror reflective.
Ouch, that is lame. You practically _need_ it in the south.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts