Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this on AZ as well, wondering if anyone has any info:
So on the new facelift models, the readout/digits in the climate control screen are white on black, while the pre-facelift is red on red. Anybody know if this swap is a straight plug & play? Do they even sell the new climate control unit? I assume so. Anybody done this or looked into it? It's a minor detail, but I really like the look of the new version.

Like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
the most important thing on the new climate control are the "separated" switches for seat heating. The air con doesn't come on every time you put your seat heating on..

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm also looking to do this upgrade does any body know?

·
Registered
854 Posts
I believe it's plug and play but I think its component protected.

I'll have mine spare soon as I'm installing ventilated seats which require further buttons.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If my understanding of what you're talking about is correct, there's a geezer selling a climate control unit in the For Sale section.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
IIRC new cars have three settings for heated seats, whereas older pre-facelift ones have six.

Are the outputs of the two units compatible with each other, or is there a risk that the new unit won't properly control an old heated seat?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
3G and 3G plus are interchangeable, as are the button panel on the centre console.

The dash is the same, how different can it be?

Not saying it is the same just not sure where it can differ.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I believe it's plug and play but I think its component protected.

I'll have mine spare soon as I'm installing ventilated seats which require further buttons.
What does component protected mean ?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've fitted facelift seats into a pre-facelift car and the heated seats worked fine on all 6 settings.
Did you install the new facelift climate control ?

·
Registered
854 Posts
What does component protected mean ?
It means it has to be paired to the car to guard against theft. If you plug it in it will be feature limited so you need someone with the appropriate facility to make it work as intended. MMI units etc are the same.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
ok reading the www, it appears to be component protected.

I have bought one to try it out as Im curious so will come back and let you know my findings when it arrives.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
ok received, can the knobs be swapped over does anyone know. I dont want to try and prize these off if they wont move.

JB:thumbsup:

·
Registered
211 Posts
ok received, can the knobs be swapped over does anyone know. I dont want to try and prize these off if they wont move.

JB:thumbsup:
Did the Facelift climate control work for you ?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi digzz, looks like we'll have an answer soon :)
Hahah ..yeah lets hope JonnieB can give us an answer before I buy one this weekend.

I'm surprised nobody has done and tested this mod.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Hi

The connectors are all the same, plugged it in and it all lit up ok but then went into component protection, the on/off button started flashing red. Put the old one back in, all ok.

Same size, same connectors, just needs component protection removing. I found a place in Manchester that can remove this so will try them, otherwise get Audi to do it at some point.

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,633 Posts
Hi

The connectors are all the same, plugged it in and it all lit up ok but then went into component protection, the on/off button started flashing red. Put the old one back in, all ok.

Same size, same connectors, just needs component protection removing. I found a place in Manchester that can remove this so will try them, otherwise get Audi to do it at some point.

:thumbsup:
I'll be interested to hear how much functionality you get. At the time I did my audio upgrade Ben advised me against doing the CC as only get 3 heated seat settings, can't remember what else he said also. Looking forward to reading your testing :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 104 Posts