Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the 4.2L V8 does anyone know what the power is going to be? I haven't seen anything confirmed yet. Same as the A6's 350 hp?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Yes the FSI V8 will produce 350hp in the S5. Like all S models the suspension will also be sport-tuned and the car will be AWD.

·
Registered
66 Posts
S5 gets the lazier version of the V8 with 354PS. it's not rev loving, but there are things you can do, like replace the mobil 1 oil with castrol edge sport 0-40W, and some sport pipes. AMD technic does them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes the FSI V8 will produce 350hp in the S5. Like all S models the suspension will also be sport-tuned and the car will be AWD.
S5's suspensions and steering are even harder and sharper than the sport. they still understeer like mad tho, a trick is to rotate the tyres so the older 1s are always on the back, it's brilliant i got a curtercy A2 1.4D to OVERsteer once.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
S5 gets the lazier version of the V8 with 354PS. it's not rev loving, but there are things you can do, like replace the mobil 1 oil with castrol edge sport 0-40W, and some sport pipes. AMD technic does them.
Just out of interest how much of a difference does the oil make?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have been trying to find out the difference between the S5 and the RS4 engine on several sites but no one seems to know. I expect it to be different cams and ECU mapping but its basically the same engine.
I wonder how much it will cost to modify the S5 to RS4 power ouput, no doubt some German tuner will announce this sooner rather than later?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I was in touch with AMD about tuning the S5. I assumed the engine was the same as the S4 as power output is nearly the same, however they tell me that the S5 engine has 2 ECUs and different architecture for the previous 4.2 V8.

But I would assume once you add a milltek exhaust with high flow sports cat and have a re-map done you will ge about 30 extra bhp - this should probably cost in the region of £2.5k.

If you want more power it would probably be a safe bet that MTM will adapt their supercharger from the S4 to the S5. The supercharged S4 kicks out 450BHP and more torque than the current RS4 - only downside is it costs heavy money £10k I think.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I think the free-flowing exhaust/downpipes is a definite must. 30bhp is a sizable gain and if I remember correctly this is the number at the wheels too. APR is also working on a 4.2 supercharger that should undercut MTM by a considerable amount. Not sure of the power output though. I hope it can compare.

But I would assume once you add a milltek exhaust with high flow sports cat and have a re-map done you will ge about 30 extra bhp - this should probably cost in the region of £2.5k.
QUOTE]

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have been trying to find out the difference between the S5 and the RS4 engine on several sites but no one seems to know. I expect it to be different cams and ECU mapping but its basically the same engine.
I wonder how much it will cost to modify the S5 to RS4 power ouput, no doubt some German tuner will announce this sooner rather than later?

Ok, the *Fast*cam on the RS4 is a lit lighter, so r the valves etc etc i.e. the RS4's 4.2 can spin faster , spinning faster = more air + fuel = more cooking more cooking = more power. Yum, the S5's 4.2 is nearly identical but uses more reliable heavier parts so it runs futher away from the limits of physics i.e. slower i.e. less power but smoother.

·
Registered
66 Posts
retro fit a RS4 4.2 for less that 10K. and then if u still cant get a stiffy then add a S/C and up it to 550bhp, and enought torque to dismantle your tranny

1 - 11 of 11 Posts