Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I recently posted about Audi recuperation system on there braking set up and it was quite apparent that quite a few people were unaware of this.
This made me think about one of the main issues that comes up with nearly every exhaust thread that is posted on here - exhaust drone.
When I fitted my x pipe on my S5,I did not have any droning issues as I also set the soundaktor on the car to 0%.
These cars do have a fake sound box near the bulkhead which is set at 100% from the factory and can be adjusted through vcds or obd11
This simply enhances the noise that comes into the cabin,and can be set to whatever you prefer.
I have mine switched off,but it can be altered from 0% up to 100% and was wondering how many of you guys have had a play around with the settings on yours.
For those who do not have vagcom/obd11, I believe you can simply remove a fuse(5) and this disables the sound box.
It is std on S and Rs models and audi have continued to fit this on there later cars .

·
Registered
512 Posts
Mines still set at 100% as I do generally like a bit of noise, when I change from dynamic to comfort in the mmi I don't really notice much difference if any. In your opinion is it better to have it switched off?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can notice the difference when accelerating hard and when revving and car is stationary.
It is down to your own personal preference and what your happy with. I have tried all the settings and I prefer it to be switched off.i will post a video up when I can find it off a stock S4 with std system.?
I

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have had a VERY LOUD, inside (and outside) daily driver. I do relish how QUIET my S5 is. I did set the sound to 0% with Carista and did not notice a difference. I also did not really play with changing it UP/DOWN to verify any difference. I did not check the fuse if the PO had removed it but I doubt it.

Question, the engine sound via the MMI in the drive select menu, I have wondered if that affects the muffler valve or the soundaktor?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Do ALL S5s have them? Mine is a late 2014 and does not have Audi Drive Select, but I enabled it using VCDS. To be honest I can't tell much, if any difference in any of the settings, including the Engine sound. Had a play around with the settings, but couldn't tell any difference, so just left it. :)

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I have had a VERY LOUD, inside (and outside) daily driver. I do relish how QUIET my S5 is. I did set the sound to 0% with Carista and did not notice a difference. I also did not really play with changing it UP/DOWN to verify any difference. I did not check the fuse if the PO had removed it but I doubt it.

Question, the engine sound via the MMI in the drive select menu, I have wondered if that affects the muffler valve or the soundaktor?
The Mufflers don't have valves in B8.5 S5s. So any noise difference will be the speaker in the centre of the dash.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Do ALL S5s have them? Mine is a late 2014 and does not have Audi Drive Select, but I enabled it using VCDS. To be honest I can't tell much, if any difference in any of the settings, including the Engine sound. Had a play around with the settings, but couldn't tell any difference, so just left it. :)
Same here Dave, the only real difference I notice is when in sport mode, it definitely sounds more throaty.
I made a couple of sound clips with my non res downpipes but not sure how to upload them ?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dave I believe they do on S and RS models,whether the car has drive select or not,as it is just a speaker to enhance the sound .
You cannot alter the engine sound that much in drive select, as you only have the 3 options :comfort,auto dynamic.
Obd11 lets you choose from 0 to 100% and i did have it on 100 when I had the x pipe fitted.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I recently did just the decat (ie test pipes)on an otherwise std B8.5 S5 coupe. Drone is crazy.
I have been told that ECU and TCU software upgrade helps sort the gearing out and hence the drone and 'tinny' burbles.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Dave I believe they do on S and RS models,whether the car has drive select or not,as it is just a speaker to enhance the sound .
You cannot alter the engine sound that much in drive select, as you only have the 3 options :comfort,auto dynamic.
Obd11 lets you choose from 0 to 100% and i did have it on 100 when I had the x pipe fitted.
I'll have to have another play with the settings then. :)

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I recently did just the decat (ie test pipes)on an otherwise std B8.5 S5 coupe. Drone is crazy.
I have been told that ECU and TCU software upgrade helps sort the gearing out and hence the drone and 'tinny' burbles.
You can't change the gearing! All the TCU remap does is alter thresholds for gear change, raise rev limit, raise torque limits, faster shifts. To change gearing you will have to dismantle the box and swop out the actual cogs.

I just don't get why the DSG box is said to create drone, it is impossible for a gearbox to do this. The only thing I can think of is that the over geared 7 speed DGS box runs at a certain speed at certain amount of revs which is in the rev band of where a particular exhaust will drone. If you get the manual 6 speed box at the same revs, same throttle input, it will be the same exhaust note, drone, noise.

Sorry, not being angry, I'm happy to be proved otherwise, but from a technical background I can't see it.

The only way to remove drove is fit a baffled or resonated silencer/mufller or add a helmholtz resonator. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can't change the gearing! All the TCU remap does is alter thresholds for gear change, raise rev limit, raise torque limits, faster shifts. To change gearing you will have to dismantle the box and swop out the actual cogs.

I just don't get why the DSG box is said to create drone, it is impossible for a gearbox to do this. The only thing I can think of is that the over geared 7 speed DGS box runs at a certain speed at certain amount of revs which is in the rev band of where a particular exhaust will drone. If you get the manual 6 speed box at the same revs, same throttle input, it will be the same exhaust note, drone, noise.

Sorry, not being angry, I'm happy to be proved otherwise, but from a technical background I can't see it.

The only way to remove drove is fit a baffled or resonated silencer/mufller or add a helmholtz resonator. :)
Ahh yes.. thats it .. the thresholds lol. Thanks for the correction. :)

Regarding the drone... i dont get it either. Seems if I accelerate at a higher gear with revs below 2500 it tends to be worse.
Hope somebody here has another solution.

Haven't been able to source the Helmholtz in South Africa.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
The Helmholt qtr wave resonator (which is in the standard back boxes) is a simple but very effective idea. It is a length of pipe or chambers that sound waves enter, then 'bounce' back out, clashing with the original soundwaves and cancel out a frequency. There is some science to it and maths. This type of soundwave cancellation is very effective.

Search for helmholtz resonator and you'll see what it's about. Also search for AWE 180 technology - this is a straight through type performance silencer, no absorption type baffles, just 2 holes in the pipe, which extract and bounce the soundwaves around through metal plates cancelling the drone and other unwanted frequencies.

The same goes for induction noise, this is why you get a blocked off pipe attached to the side of some airboxes. :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is also a helmholtz resonator in the std air intake pipe on the S5.as well.
After the corrugated section there is a dampener inside the tube and the resonator is the box on the back of the pipe.
It operates the same way as those in the exhaust to tone down the noise of the induction roar.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Sorry, not being angry, I'm happy to be proved otherwise, but from a technical background I can't see
Dave I have to agree totally and that is why I put this post up. I have not experienced any of this so called drone and have driven V6 and V8 S5's with s tronic ,manual and tiptronic boxes. If you drive at 40 mph in 6th gear and accelerate unless you kick down there is a bit of noise. However when your doing 80 mph in 3rd or in dynamic there is no drone.
I took my mates A5 3.0 tdi for a blast down the m69 yesterday and it has no dpf, straight through exhaust no boxes,stage 1.5 remap ,darkside intake and k&n filter and s tronic box and there was no drone in that either.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
There is also a helmholtz resonator in the std air intake pipe on the S5.as well.
After the corrugated section there is a dampener inside the tube and the resonator is the box on the back of the pipe.
It operates the same way as those in the exhaust to tone down the noise of the induction roar.
Yep the standard intake pipe has an absorption type gauze and a small vessel to reduce intake noise, but we get rid of that as we like the whiiiiiiiiinnnne. :)

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Dave I have to agree totally and that is why I put this post up. I have not experienced any of this so called drone and have driven V6 and V8 S5's with s tronic ,manual and tiptronic boxes. If you drive at 40 mph in 6th gear and accelerate unless you kick down there is a bit of noise. However when your doing 80 mph in 3rd or in dynamic there is no drone.
I took my mates A5 3.0 tdi for a blast down the m69 yesterday and it has no dpf, straight through exhaust no boxes,stage 1.5 remap ,darkside intake and k&n filter and s tronic box and there was no drone in that either.
Maybe it's the opinion on what drone is as it seems to be more apparent on the otherside of the pond!? :)

I've driven the V8 S5 with Cobra back boxes and thought it was very quiet, compared to mine anyway! And a bit slow. ;)
Yeah the turbo impeller will smooth gases and soundwaves to a certain extent so turbo engine aren't as bad for drone. I had a straight through exhaust, not cats or anything else on my Rover coupe turbo and the exhaust sound was a nice deep tone without being intrusive and actually quiet on the motorway. But I've also had an MG ZT V6 with 4 straight through silencers and that did drone on the motorway! But sounded good, more like a V8 once the intake flaps opened up, it had the good V engine thump! The Audi V6 sounds to me, more like a straight 6 than a V engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yep the standard intake pipe has an absorption type gauze and a small vessel to reduce intake noise, but we get rid of that as we like the whiiiiiiiiinnnne. :)
I will have to remove and give it a try ?
I did love the Forge Intake sound on my Turbo cars. But the supercharger whine.. not so sure yet. I may just be getting too old:LOL::LOL:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Regarding drone... i found that since doing my decat the scream inside the car was rather unpleasant whilst the tone outside was much more pleasant and true for a V6.

I hate the artificial sound... so I pulled the Soundactuator fuse.

Wow... what a pleasant drive with the power benefit. Now looking forward to doing the complete exhaust. :D?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts