Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Chaps

Probably a bit premature given that I am months away from getting my S5. Nevertheless I always like to have my ducks lined up whenever possible.

My issue is that although the S5 exhaust note, from accounts I've read and videos I've seen, is pleasantly "roarty" it is not particularly audible in the vehicle and is certainly nowhere near the sound of RS4.

Being the sad git I am I would like the sound to be more significant. Has anybody got any experience of exhaust modifications that might improve the sound. In particular is there any particular make of exhaust that is recommended for Audi and if anybody has done anything like this previously is it enough to change just the back box/rear section or is a whole system change required.

Grateful for any advice or recommendations.

In case its relevant I am based NW England.

Cheers

·
Registered
685 Posts
It is still a little early for mods but soon they should be arriving to market. You can change just the back half if you only want improved sound. If you want better airflow a system from the cat is best.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Cheers Andrew

Is there any particular make that is well regarded for Audi that I should particularly keep an eye out for?

Presumably airflow improvement may/ will lead to increased BHP and will therefore count as a modification for insurance purposes. Would the same be true if only back half was changed as far as you know ?

Thanks again in anticipation

·
Registered
276 Posts
Cheers Andrew

Is there any particular make that is well regarded for Audi that I should particularly keep an eye out for?

Presumably airflow improvement may/ will lead to increased BHP and will therefore count as a modification for insurance purposes. Would the same be true if only back half was changed as far as you know ?

Milltek would be the best company to approach, they are in the Midlands somewhere and have good reputation for VW products in general. Whether the back end system would do any more than sound nice though is debatable. I had a Milltek Sports CAT and back end system and the difference was considerable but that was with a 1.8T turbo engine.
I was thinking of contacting them when I get mine.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Hi there CTID, we sad gits should stick together. I too am planning to get my hands on an S5 in January and had also started researching replacement exhausts. I've read some good things about Eisemann/Eisenhaus systems and I believe they've just announced thei S5 systems. Have a look at their web-site where their Audi experience is clear - you can even select different performance and sound characteristics for the majority of their systems.

I put a Novitec system (from the cat back) on my current Alfa GT V6 and before and after dyno tests showed a power increase from 246 to 255 bhp, so yes, always best to declare it to the insurers - not worth the risk otherwise....

But the sound is of course the most important benefit.....!

·
Registered
982 Posts
I guess before we all rush out to replace the stock exhaust, we should be sure that the noise (if that's what we're hoping to improve on) of the standard system isn't already sufficiently mouth-watering. I doubted that it was until I saw this vid (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zXOiHW2h39k) - admittedly, I viewed it on my home PC with 5.1 surround sound - as my mate pointed out when I subsequently showed him on my laptop with its tinny speakers, 'there's no sub-woofer and volume control for the car exhaust...'. But gotta say, sounds absolutely incredible!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Think you could stick an RS4 exaust on the back?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Cheers Andrew

Miltek definetly the one to go for, there is one in development for the S5 at the moment, and I for sure will be adding it to my car when I get it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts