Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When setting off from cold in the morning, as I drive over a bumpy section of road I get a muffled rattel from the rear passenger side of the car. It sound like its the exhaust but when I shake it by hand I dont get the noise. Mine has the twin tail pipes on one side.
Any ideas anybody :confused:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sounds familiar! It's not really a rattle, but a muffled knocking sound, no? I thought my Milltek exhaust could have been the problem... but it probably isn't, don't see any possibility of it hitting the car.

To clear things out, your passenger side is on the wrong side. :p Anyways, the knocking sound is somewhere around the left rear wheel.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is more of a muffled sound, a bit like the "golf ball in a jar" sound mentioned in other similar posts.
BTW there is only one correct side to drive on ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sounds familiar! It's not really a rattle, but a muffled knocking sound, no? I thought my Milltek exhaust could have been the problem... but it probably isn't, don't see any possibility of it hitting the car.

To clear things out, your passenger side is on the wrong side. :p Anyways, the knocking sound is somewhere around the left rear wheel.
Exactly, it is around the left rear wheel. Have you sorted out what is the fix? Where it comes from and what do i need to do?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Exactly, it is around the left rear wheel. Have you sorted out what is the fix? Where it comes from and what do i need to do?
Speary is right, it does sound like shaking a golf ball in a jar (it has that bouncing behavior).
I first thought it was the Milltek exhaust... the larger diameter tubes might hit the bumper for example.
I tried shaking the exhaust, but I wasn't able to reproduce that sound.

A short (and heavy) bump in the road still does the trick.
So I did mention it once tho, on a warranty visit to the dealer, but the issue remains unresolved.
Luckily, the roads aren't that bad... they wouldn't be drivable anyways. :)

I'm not sure, but I'm starting to think the exhaust isn't the problem here.
Just for the record, the car has the optional sport suspension (no s-line).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts