Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While waiting for my S5 to arrive I've been debating wether to keep the stock exhuast or spring for an aftermarket one.

After watching and listening to countless youtube videos I think I like the sound of the AWE setup the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b311ym5K2Y

I'm sorry for the elementary exhaust questions but I've never had an aftermarket exhaust on a vehicle before.

1. What does installation usually run? It looks like about $2,000 for parts alone on the AWE with downpipes.

2. Do these exhaust systems pass yearly emissions testing/inspections?

3. I don't really like the look of most aftermarket tips, I really like and prefer the stock tips. Is it plausible to have an installer weld the stock tips onto the aftermarket exhaust? Or is that just a rediculous idea?

4. Do aftermarket exhausts void Audi factory warranties?

Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I'm sorry for the elementary exhaust questions but I've never had an aftermarket exhaust on a vehicle before.
1. What does installation usually run? It looks like about $2,000 for parts alone on the AWE with downpipes.
Shouldn't be more than a couple of hundred dollars.

2. Do these exhaust systems pass yearly emissions testing/inspections?
Yes. Inspections are no problem as long as the system doesn't remove your front cats. Even then it would take a pretty thorough inspection.

3. I don't really like the look of most aftermarket tips, I really like and prefer the stock tips. Is it plausible to have an installer weld the stock tips onto the aftermarket exhaust? Or is that just a rediculous idea?
It can be done, but I still think it's a ridiculous idea....:)

4. Do aftermarket exhausts void Audi factory warranties?
No

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
As a result of bigger piping diameter throughout the system, usually the stock tips won't fit on an aftermarket muffler. You can however replace the aftermarket tips with something of appropriate size that is styled like the stock ones. Not worth the effort IMO.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hehe thanks for the info sizzle. Yeah the aftermarket tips just seem like they were just stuck on and don't match the styling of the car, and they look like they stick out from the rear bumper too much.

I dunno its just my op. everyone likes diff things.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there any way to make the stock exhaust a little louder without replacing the whole system, that would still pass emissions?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Is there any way to make the stock exhaust a little louder without replacing the whole system, that would still pass emissions?
None of the bolt-on exhausts currently available affect your emissions at all. I live in CA where the smog tests are the most stringent, and they don't care what exhaust mods you have as long as you don't touch the cats.

·
Registered
184 Posts
From my understanding, any aftermarket exhaust besides the Stasis one (audi certified and done through some of their dealership) will void warranty...Or at least thats what they told me

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
There's been a number of warranty-related discussions on the forum over recent months but the thing to bear in mind is that 'the warranty' isn't a catch-all,blanket warranty of the whole car. If you replace your stock exhaust with a quality aftermarket system, your protection re. the exhaust is with that supplier. Obviously, Audi won't want to know if you take the car back to them complaining of exhaust issues and wanting them fixed FOC.

However, if having had your exhaust system fitted, you subsequently take the car back to Audi to have, say, an erratic idling problem fixed under warrantly, there will be no issue - it will be done.

The worst case scenario is that in some instances, where it might be difficult to isolate the cause of a particular issue, your dealer may insist that related elements of the car are returned to stock before they investigate further and fix - under warranty. This is one reason why it's always a good idea to hang on to your original parts.

I had a long discussion abot mods and warranties with the Service Maager at my local dealer a month ago. He agrees that some dealers are more 'mod-friendly' than others but confirmed that making alterations to a car will have no bearing upon Audi's responsibility to fix unrelated problems under warranty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts