Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i know that there are already a million threads on this same question but i couldnt really get a definitive answer. I have a tiptronic(auto) s5 and i have been looking at buying a new exhaust for quite some time and have really narrowed it down to two exhausts now, the new awe touring exhaust and the gmg exhaust. I have heard that gmg makes one of the best exhausts out there for the s5 but i havent heard any feedback of it on an automatic. and the awe i thought might be the best to go with especially since it is make specifically for automatics but my only hesitation is that it isnt enough of a change in sound(loudness mainly) for me to spend that kind of money for something hardly noticeable.....So any help/feedback that i can get would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I don't think you'll find the AWE Touring edition "hardly noticeable" at all - and given the GMG is likely closer to AWE's Track edition, my guess is you'll be disappointed in it...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hey guys, i know that there are already a million threads on this same question but i couldnt really get a definitive answer. I have a tiptronic(auto) s5 and i have been looking at buying a new exhaust for quite some time and have really narrowed it down to two exhausts now, the new awe touring exhaust and the gmg exhaust. I have heard that gmg makes one of the best exhausts out there for the s5 but i havent heard any feedback of it on an automatic. and the awe i thought might be the best to go with especially since it is make specifically for automatics but my only hesitation is that it isnt enough of a change in sound(loudness mainly) for me to spend that kind of money for something hardly noticeable.....So any help/feedback that i can get would be great, thanks.
Patrick,

Some great questions here.

I can tell you that our S5 Touring Exhaust is louder than the factory exhaust yet more civil than our Track Edition and depending on your preferences, it's a better match for the Tiptronic Trans.

I've asked one of our clients with the Touring System to jump in here, so hopefully he (or another forum member) will be able to give you some unbiased feedback on our system.

Let me know if there is anything I can help with regarding your decision.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Patrick,

I actually have the touring exhaust on my 2011 S5 Tip, and it has been great!!! There is definitely a difference in "loudness" versus the stock exhaust. The biggest difference is the exotic note that the touring exhaust has ... think Aston Martin. My exhaust actually got a bit louder over time... I think it has settled in now. The number of comments I get on the car are unbelievable, as you know.. but I get just as many comments on the exhaust sound. It is well worth it. If you have any specific questions, please PM me... We can even talk on the phone if you like.

Here is a video i did about the exhaust: YouTube - AWE Touring exhaust for S5 Coupe

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
+1 to all Dominion said :) Its an awesome exhaust, makes wonderful noises when accelerating, changing down gear or coming off the accelerator. Absolutely zero drone too.
Also happy to answer any questions you have :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the input guys, looks like the new touring exhaust is a great buy, just like to now know about anyone with the gmg just for comparison....

·
Registered
948 Posts
FWIW, AWE is arguably a more reputable company than GMG, and the majority of A5/S5 users have gone with the AWE exhausts. Granted that the Touring Edition is new to AWE's lineup, reviews of it have so far been stellar (no drone, good sound, etc).

Sorry can't be of much more help, although I can tell you I've done my bit my research and ended up with the AWE Track Edition :)

Honestly though, you can't go wrong with either GMG or AWE. Good luck!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not sure where/how AWE is "arguably" more reputable. Both are small shops (I've been to AWE, its a small place), seem to do a lot of R&D, GMG has a Porshe race team, not that the means much. GMG has a VERY solid reputation as well, maybe not as much on this board but they do a lot with Porche tuning. That all being said, I own the GMG and I retained the factory down pipes. I love the sound BUT if you have an automatic, just like the AWE track, YOU WILL HAVE DRONE 1500-1800 RPM. Its there but its not aweful and you can manage it but from what I read/hear about the auto's, you will not be able to. As I said, I LOVE my GMG, great sound, it has a very "European" sound but its not so loud as to be obnoxious. But if I had an automatic, I am pretty sure I would't be as happy.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info, looks like I'm going to be going with the awe touring exhaust!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Nice :) You won't be disappointed :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm currently looking at the AWE touring exhaust. The local company that installs these actually had another S5 in for some other upgrades and I went to see the exhaust in person Today. It sounded amazing but seemed to stick out the back quite a bit more than the stock. So much that I could see the pipe beyond the tips while standing. I thought it may be the installation but the service manager said there is not much play. All of the pics I've seen on this forum do look to be tucked in a bit more. I'm not sure that I'm willing to take the chance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think (think) the tips are adjustable.

call AWE

I'm currently looking at the AWE touring exhaust. The local company that installs these actually had another S5 in for some other upgrades and I went to see the exhaust in person Today. It sounded amazing but seemed to stick out the back quite a bit more than the stock. So much that I could see the pipe beyond the tips while standing. I thought it may be the installation but the service manager said there is not much play. All of the pics I've seen on this forum do look to be tucked in a bit more. I'm not sure that I'm willing to take the chance.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes im almost certain the tips are adjustable

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts