Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 S5 3.0 supercharged. I'd like to get a bit more sound from the exhaust with no obnoxious raspy noise. I was thinking of removing front resonators and installing straight pipes. I'd appreciate the voices of experience before learning the hard way. No other mods have been made to the car.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I strongly suggest searching this (and other) forums as this is a frequently discussed topic.
YouTube as well for sound clips.

·
Registered
499 Posts
2016 S5 3.0 supercharged. I'd like to get a bit more sound from the exhaust with no obnoxious raspy noise. I was thinking of removing front resonators and installing straight pipes. I'd appreciate the voices of experience before learning the hard way. No other mods have been made to the car.
For my S5, the only one I wanted after doing tonnes of research and sound bites (live - not internet) was the AWE Tuning with res downpipes (I’ve a cab).

Sounds immense - meaty but kind of ‘exotic’ in a way. Dynamic on ADS seems to make it sound more sporty too.

I’m in Notts if you’re not far for a coffee and sound sample.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
748 Posts
IMO there's a difference between a resonator and a muffler. Muffler reduces all frequencies, a resonator reduces specific frequencies. If you're trying to go for a mild and understated exhaust sound upgrade I'd start with removing the mufflers and fitting a resonated section in their place. Going from a full stock system to a 100% straight pipe will be a drastic difference.

Regards

·
Registered
201 Posts
There are quite a few options out there and a few dozen post around this subject.
I like you wanted to change the sound of my std system and at the time ecs had just released the x pipe,so I bought one. It did improve the sound and I could live with it. I then upgraded to full miltek system due to a cat failure ,and whilst it is not the loudest system - no drone even when your travelling at mach 1 and sounds brilliant
It might be worth reading this post in the S5 general Q&A section.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I’m interested in getting better sound from my exhaust too at some point but am not sure if res delete or backbox delete or x-pipes will fail mot’s...what’s the story there?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I’m interested in getting better sound from my exhaust too at some point but am not sure if res delete or backbox delete or x-pipes will fail mot’s...what’s the story there?
Res delete,x pipe or back box delete will not effect your mot as the cat controls the emissions.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I have standard system with ECS X pipe. In my view it gives just the right balance of volume without being too loud.

Under normal driving or cruising on the motorway, it is quiet with a nice hum, but press on and it will turn heads especially with the gear change crackles. :)

The only affect on MoT is if it is too loud.

I wouldn't do a backbox delete, unless you like it loud and obnoxious on the motorway. :)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Dave Kwatro, would you be able to upload a sound clip of your X pipe?
I have been meaning to get a clip, but never got round to it. I shall try :)

But an X pipe might sound a bit different on your RS5 ;) :D
My neighbours RS5 has an aftermarket exhaust, valved as I have heard it quiet, but most of the time he has the valves open and on cold start it sounds like a NASCAR!! :) I can hear him leave, and when he is on his way back home, 5 minutes before he returns home!! :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
There may well be a AWE track exhaust for a S5 up for sale in the next coming weeks if you want more noise.
I nearly had it myself but I love the sound of the miltek.
Will post details as soon as

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
There may well be a AWE track exhaust for a S5 up for sale in the next coming weeks if you want more noise.
I nearly had it myself but I love the sound of the miltek.
Will post details as soon as
Will this be a 2nd hand AWE exhaust? :)
I've just took my first step to my custom exhaust build :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes ,it will be 2nd hand ,but in mint condition and with quad 120 mm chrome tips looks awesome

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yes ,it will be 2nd hand ,but in mint condition and with quad 120 mm chrome tips looks awesome
How much? Does it include down pipes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
The track version has a central resonator and no mufflers ,just straight pipe to the quad tailpipes.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
The track version has a central resonator and no mufflers ,just straight pipe to the quad tailpipes.
LOUD! I would look at welding a few more silencers into that!

Seen a you tube video on the AWE track exhaust on an S4, but all Americans go on about, is drone!

1 question I have, is the AWE track exhaust says it's not designed for the DSG S-Tronic box!? I really can't get my head round why a DSG box would cause more drone than a manual???

1 - 20 of 36 Posts