Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this book after reading a (short) review in Autocar a couple of weeks back (4/5 stars). It's very authoritative and well written with some excellent photos of all varieties of the original quattro. I can highly recommend it, although I've not found any reference to the A5/S5 (but new 2nd generation TT does get a mention, so it's reasonably up to date). I think it was first published back in the 80s, but this edition was first published in Dec 2007.

It's available here:
http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=44303&langId=-1

As DI Gene Hunt would say: "Fire up the quattro!"

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
history

This got me thinking of back when I first got interested in all this around '83 or so. John Buffum and Co. were racing Audi Quattros in the Pro Rally series. They were here in Michigan a number of times. I got to see them compete in the Press On Regardless Rally in the Upper Peninsula in '85. This was all done on Forest Service dirt roads out in the middle of nowhere. You heard the most exciting sounds ever as the car would approach out of the blackness at 2 or 3 in the morning with six big lights blasting ahead, the engine screaming through the gears, and flames crackling out of the exhaust as it backfired. I think this was one of the years they went on to win the World Championship.
S.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts