Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This months EVO Magazine did an extensive tyre test. For those of you who appreciate the complex and crucial role your tyres play in the behaviour and capabilites of your car I would recommend a quick read of the article.

Tests were done using the current VW GTI all tyres were of size 225/45/17.

The test covered the following areas:-

Wet Handling (Lap Times/Lateral G/Subective Rating)
Aqua-planing (Straight Line Speed/Cornering)
Braking (Wet Braking/Dry Braking/Resistance)
Dry Handling (Lap Times/Lateral G/Subective Rating)
Road Route (Subjective)

The results were as follow: (Overall score out of 100)

1st - GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC (Score: 96.4)
2nd - VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA (Score: 95.3) - tread pattern on this one looks wicked (my personal favorite)
3rd - CONTINENTAL CONTISPORT CONTACT 3 (Score: 93.5)
4th - BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE050-A (Score: 92.7)
5th - MICHELIN PILOT SPORT PS2 (Score: 92.4)
6th - PIRELLI PZERO NERO (Score: 92.0)
7th - KUMHO ECASTA STP KU31 (Score: 88.7) - suprised these were 7th I think KUMHO are rubbish
8th - DUNLOP SPORT MAXX (Score: 86.0)
9th - YOKOHAMA S.DRIVE (Score: 82.0)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What tyres did your S5 come with as this is kinda irrelevant if Audi don't fit any of those listed:) ?
Its not irrelevant - the point in posting the info up was to help inform users of the forum what tyres were good tyres to replace on their cars when the time comes.

As I found from my dealer the S5 is usually supplied with Contisport contact (3rd place) or Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 (5th place) which means when it comes to replacing my tyres we can choose a tyre that performs even better than the OE supplied tyres and in the case of 1st and 2nd place both these tyres cost less than the OE tyres.

If you actually read the article you will see for yourself that tyres are one of the most important aspects of a cars handling, not to mention how important a roll they play when it comes to emergency maneuvers and braking. For example the Yokohama S.drive tyre took a massive 12.1 meters longer to stop in straight line braking than the best tyre - now I think that would make me think twice before buying them dont you think.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Is it the current R32? And is it the F1 GSD3 or the F1 Asymmetric as tested?
99.9% sure it would have been the GSD3s. The asymmetrics are only recently released, and are very hard to get a hold of in the UK.

Have to say, i'm surprised that EVO have put the contisports ahead of the potenzas. Any other mag / web article have given the contisports a reasonably poor write up in comparison to other tyres. So much that even GSD3s were apparently out-performing them.

Right now, i'm absolutely LOVING my potenzas. I've always been a GY Eagle F1 fan (i've still got GSD3s on the supra), but the potenzas are so much better in all aspects... cornering is amazing, ride is smooth and quiet, and the performance in the wet is remarkable.

The GSD3s perform well once they're heated up... not good in a cold damp morning with 320BHP to the rear wheels and no traction control.

My next tyres are the asymmetrics I have to say, although ride comfort might not be something to look forward to with those stiff side-walls.

Rab.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had the GSD3s before and they are good tyres and my experience of them is pretty much the same as yours Rab.

I have the potenzas on my A4 at the moment and they are bloody good tyres.....very predictable traction if you ask me...and they give me a lot more confidence than the conti sportcontact 2 tyres ever did, another thing about the contact 2 was that they started to squeel very easily.

Haven't experienced the Sport Contact 3 tyres though, but I dont intend to try them either....although the Goodyear Asymmetric were the test winners I think I'll be going with the VREDESTEIN SESSANTA I jus love the look of the tread.

·
Registered
66 Posts
GRRR! i told you before and you didnt believe me,

The results were as follow: (Overall score out of 100)

1st - GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC (Score: 96.4)
3rd - CONTINENTAL CONTISPORT CONTACT 3 (Score: 93.5)
5th - MICHELIN PILOT SPORT PS2 (Score: 92.4)
8th - DUNLOP SPORT MAXX (Score: 86.0)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.