Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if this has been posted, but I though it was an interesting review:

Audi S5 Tiptronic

A bit like deciding that your unborn child should be called Bernard and then it popping out without a winkle, the launch of the S5 with a manual gearbox was unexpected and slightly perplexing. The big, sleek, woofly coupe just seemed ripe for a self-shuffler.

But now, 18 months later, Audi is offering a six-speed tiptronic option on the S5. It’s a fine gearbox; the small paddles attached to the back of the steering wheel summon up brisk and smooth changes allowing you to make brisk and smooth progress. It’s slightly strange that there’s no sport option if you want to let the gearbox swap ratios on its own, but otherwise it’s everything you’d expect it to be.

And yet… the Auto actually shows that Audi was right to launch the S5 with a manual. The manual ’box gives the car more character, as befits an S model, and the wonderful engine feels slightly more muscular (the auto is 0.3sec slower to 62mph). You can even leave it in sixth on a fast road and there’s enough torque to make your left leg as redundant as in the tiptronic. So buy an S5 manual and save £1400.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Don't know if this has been posted, but I though it was an interesting review:

Audi S5 Tiptronic

A bit like deciding that your unborn child should be called Bernard and then it popping out without a winkle, the launch of the S5 with a manual gearbox was unexpected and slightly perplexing. The big, sleek, woofly coupe just seemed ripe for a self-shuffler.

But now, 18 months later, Audi is offering a six-speed tiptronic option on the S5. It’s a fine gearbox; the small paddles attached to the back of the steering wheel summon up brisk and smooth changes allowing you to make brisk and smooth progress. It’s slightly strange that there’s no sport option if you want to let the gearbox swap ratios on its own, but otherwise it’s everything you’d expect it to be.

And yet… the Auto actually shows that Audi was right to launch the S5 with a manual. The manual ’box gives the car more character, as befits an S model, and the wonderful engine feels slightly more muscular (the auto is 0.3sec slower to 62mph). You can even leave it in sixth on a fast road and there’s enough torque to make your left leg as redundant as in the tiptronic. So buy an S5 manual and save £1400.

+ 1.... manual puts me in the "drivers" seat... Period.. no pun intended.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the triptronic option on mine, mainly chosen as I do a fair few miles and constantly get stuck in traffic so changing every few secs is a pain in the a**

I love my auto and when I'm really pushing it along the country lanes gives me more control with two hands constantly on the wheel and able to use the engine braking as well. I'm pleased I have it although would always be nice to save money!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Can imagine when you have many stop-n-go traffic you choose for the tiptronic (or the S-tronic in a few months). For me however, the manual gives much more involvement and therefor fun. Even so when the manual is MORE EXPENSIVE here in NL than the tiptronic, because of eco taxes!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Can imagine when you have many stop-n-go traffic you choose for the tiptronic (or the S-tronic in a few months). For me however, the manual gives much more involvement and therefor fun. Even so when the manual is MORE EXPENSIVE here in NL than the tiptronic, because of eco taxes!
+ 1 --- We all had to pay $1,500 Gas guzzler tax here in the US.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yeah, but NOT those of us with the S5 Tiptronic! :p
Hmmm.....I wasn't aware of this. What's the difference in gas mileage that causes one to be charged the Gas Guzzler Tax and not the other. The Audi website lists the gas mileage as equal no matter which transmission you configure for the car. They show it as 14/16/21 (city/combined/highway).

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Hmmm.....I wasn't aware of this. What's the difference in gas mileage that causes one to be charged the Gas Guzzler Tax and not the other. The Audi website lists the gas mileage as equal no matter which transmission you configure for the car. They show it as 14/16/21 (city/combined/highway).
My window sticker (which I still have) shows 16/19/24. So, there ya go!

·
Registered
229 Posts
My window sticker (which I still have) shows 16/19/24. So, there ya go!
Thanks.

Interesting that the price increase in the U.S. between the 6MT and Tiptronic is $1300 which is exactly equivalent to the Gas Guzzler Tax. Essentially amounts to a "free" upgrade to the automatic if desired.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.