Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i was browsing around this forum and i noticed a thread with the DRL lights turning off when you signal. I saw that this is fixable with the VAG COM. Is it worth buying the euro headlights to get rid of the orange things on the headlights too and fix the DRL problem or just use the VAG COM.

(By the way searched and have found nothing on Euro Headlights)

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
You may see them referenced as e codes as well, I believe. That's really a personal decision, weighing cost against aeshetics. Is it an improvement? Most think so. TX posted some photos of his if you are looking for some.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
FYI, simply installing the Euro headlights on a US spec car is NOT going to resolve the DRL/blinker issue. The DRL/blinkers will continue to exhibit the same behavior as before. I still had to use VAG-COM on my Euro spec headlights for the DRL/blinker issue. That's because the behavior of those is entirely software-based.

BTW, the pics of my car that house was referencing can be found here.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
They're expensive but worth it if you want a much claner front end. The difference is very noticeable.....

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just an idea to throw out there, but on my E90 BMW, which has amber reflectors at well that really detract from the overall look of the car, a member on my other forum (E90Post) was able to take apart the headlights (probably baking them in an oven) and overlaying Black CF or White CF over the amber part and then putting together the headlights again. It looks great!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92175

·
Registered
750 Posts
sizzle is right (TX too), they make a huge difference aesthetically...and they are pricey, but MAN! especially if your car is one of the blacks, greys or silvers...

...or blues, reds...well, any color. I will eventually get them for mine since I have seen both sizzle's and TX's cars in person...too nice! Plus they are bad influences on me...such peer pressure. :D

Seriously though, they look really good!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
<snip>
a member on my other forum (E90Post) was able to take apart the headlights (probably baking them in an oven) and overlaying Black CF or White CF over the amber part
<snip>
Thanks for throwing that idea out there, but the baking technique has already been tried by a few guys over in the AW forum a while back. I think the consensus was that these lights use a much stronger type of glue than other headlight housings and essentially cannot be taken apart without breaking them. So, that's why you now see several US folks buying the e-codes because we have no other alternative to getting rid of the amber reflectors. And let me tell you, that is one EXPENSIVE pair of clear reflectors that I installed on my car. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for throwing that idea out there, but the baking technique has already been tried by a few guys over in the AW forum a while back. I think the consensus was that these lights use a much stronger type of glue than other headlight housings and essentially cannot be taken apart without breaking them. So, that's why you now see several US folks buying the e-codes because we have no other alternative to getting rid of the amber reflectors. And let me tell you, that is one EXPENSIVE pair of clear reflectors that I installed on my car. ;)
That's a bummer...I was going to try it when my A5 came. Looks like I just might have to pony up the cash for it :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.